Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Poor Piking

Options
  • 12-11-2010 5:47pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 135 ✭✭

I was out fishing on a lake in cavan last week from the bank in a popular public spot.

Anyway met two Irish guys who set up there gear beside me. They certainly talked the talk but their set up was terrible.

They had two rods out with floats and the rods just lying on the bank with the bail arm on.

The other two rods were rigged up to be doing some sort of free lining. Then they sat back in their car and waited!!!

I asked them what there were using for bite indication on the free line rigs and they just looked at me with a stupid smile and said "oh we'll know".

Anyway it was a good day and I was banking some nice fish with a spinning rod setup and an alarmed running rig.

I was busy tending to my gear when I saw one of the lad reeling in a decent 10lbs pike on the free lining rig. His bite indication was to watch the rod being pulled along the bank.

Long story short the pike was completely deep hooked and half butchered on the bank. I offered the use of my forceps which they declined because they had some little pliers They released the doomed pike with both trebles and the trace down the pit of its belly.

They were delighted with themselves, high fives and everything. I was pretty annoyed and told them that they had just killed that fish to which I was told to mind my own business.

I hate that ****. I was in experienced once and was glad of any advice I was offered but these guys didn't careless.

What do you do in such situations??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 671 ✭✭✭skipz

Not much you can do, maybe find out if there is a local efb baliff about and get in contact too report reckless fishing standards being used.
    Its not just the Fn's doing damage alright, iv seen locals lads in places i go deadbaiting at doing the same sh1te.
    Crap sets ups with crude traces and pilars straight out of a toolbox. Shame, but uneducated.

On a pike fishing note went deadbaiting today and arrived to find the lake in serious flood, maybe 4/5 feet up on normal. So moved onto a smaller lake up the road from it.
    What a waste, not even a run! Im finding it a lot harder as the years go on to get some decent pike fishing around the north-east area.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 135 ✭✭Johnny Favourite

skipz wrote: »
    Not much you can do, maybe find out if there is a local efb baliff about and get in contact too report reckless fishing standards being used.
    Its not just the Fn's doing damage alright, iv seen locals lads in places i go deadbaiting at doing the same sh1te.
    Crap sets ups with crude traces and pilars straight out of a toolbox. Shame, but uneducated.

On a pike fishing note went deadbaiting today and arrived to find the lake in serious flood, maybe 4/5 feet up on normal. So moved onto a smaller lake up the road from it.
    What a waste, not even a run! Im finding it a lot harder as the years go on to get some decent pike fishing around the north-east area.

I'll PM you spot that is fishing well at the mo.

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭karlram

theres plenty of people lacking the common sense to fishing these days alright. i head up monoghan way for piking. any chance you could suggest any good spots? no job at the mo and need to kill the time

• Registered Users Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭ironbluedun

skipz wrote: »
    Im finding it a lot harder as the years go on to get some decent pike fishing around the north-east area.

are the small lakes still being hit by the people who like to kill and eat everything that swims?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,410 ✭✭✭Dr4gul4

are the small lakes still being hit by the people who like to kill and eat everything that swims?

not as bad as compared to past years, hopefully they have all fecked off back in to europe.

Do you have any details on there car, or even the lake please, i'm not a pike angler, but fish care is paramount ..

If people are looking for info on where to go fishing, drop in to venture sports in Monaghan, Brian or Dick will sort you out ..

Otherwise you can ask on ICF, plenty of the lads have been out all over winter piking

d..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,200 ✭✭✭BoarHunter

Dr4gul4 wrote: »
    not as bad as compared to past years, hopefully they have all fecked off back in to europe.

Do you have any details on there car, or even the lake please, i'm not a pike angler, but fish care is paramount ..

If people are looking for info on where to go fishing, drop in to venture sports in Monaghan, Brian or Dick will sort you out ..

Otherwise you can ask on ICF, plenty of the lads have been out all over winter piking

d..

:rolleyes: you should go to Europe and look at the fishing infrastructures instead of blaming the foreigners of all the bad that was done here. I've seen a lot of poaching and bad practice in ireland and a lot was done by local people ... Easy to blame others so that you feel better about yourself.

i'm a foreigner ( France ), i love ireland for its natural resources. I have been taught how to respect the wild in my shooting and my fishing and i can tell you this education is a lot more available in europe than in ireland.

That said i know there are a lot of foreigners who took advantage of the lack of monitoring and controle of the activity... that's a shame but you will find thieves and stupid people everywhere .... and the one who came here to make money might not have been the most educated.

all i wanted to say about this but it pinches me when i read that, it is just nonsense.

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭natdog

Its not nonsense,the amount of pike killed over the last ten years by eastern europeans was unreal netting the canals and taken anything in the net.
    Its true to say not all europeans are like this but it went on and still goes on in parts.
    Its also true to say that some of the Irish lads are dirtbags but I have never heard a report or rumour about irish lads using nets for pike.

so they are all european people shrimping for Salmon in river where the fishing is closed ? european people those who butchered that many juvenile salmons in one week in Ballina ? what about these people i see coming back from the river with 15 trouts not bigger than the palm of my hand ?

i agree with all the netting and abuse from foreigners ... it's a shame, but it shouldn't be hiding that a lot of people here have the same behaviour... As long as there won't be any efficient bailiff system and the money to fund it ( a general fishing permit ) this will happen ...

the first thing i heard when i arrived in Ireland was that pike were scavengers, and that a good pike was a dead Pike ... and these weren't foreigners words ...

Lads i don't want to be involved in a sterile debate anyway. i was just reacting to the quote above as it made me jump on my chair.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 477 ✭✭davidk11811

BoarHunter wrote: »
    the first thing i heard when i arrived in Ireland was that pike were scavengers, and that a good pike was a dead Pike ... and these weren't foreigners words ...
    While I don't agree with everything you said, I agree with that statement. The ammount of times I've heard that here isn't right, on multiple occasions and from people who have fished for years.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Bizzum

A couple of points:
    A huge amount of damage was done to coarse fish stocks pre Sept 2006, when the legislation came on stream. Not just the physical damage by killing fish but by the mindset it allowed, ie. It's legal to kill one, two or three bin liners of coarse fish here, happy days.
    Is it any wonder it took time to get a handle on top of the problem.

It is still legal to kill pike.(809)

It is still legal to kill coarse fish.(806)
    How can these 2 points above be sustainable in the Canals?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,616 ✭✭✭8k2q1gfcz9s5d4

BoarHunter wrote: »
    As long as there won't be any efficient bailiff system and the money to fund it ( a general fishing permit ) this will happen ...

could not agree more. look at the UK system, 62 million people live in the UK, around 4 million in the republic, yet its the republic's populations that have been wiped out by poachers and illegal fishing. I can never see the irish system mirroring the UK system though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,616 ✭✭✭8k2q1gfcz9s5d4

Bizzum wrote: »
    It is still legal to kill pike.(809)

It is still legal to kill coarse fish.(806)
    How can these 2 points above be sustainable in the Canals?

ara shur those pike ate everythin anyway, dirty b*stards. :rolleyes:
    While I don't agree with everything you said, I agree with that statement. The ammount of times I've heard that here isn't right, on multiple occasions and from people who have fished for years.

the irony is that people that do all the damage to trout and coarse fisheries are the people who blame everything on pike. Ive tried to explain to people before that the amount of pike in a water is directly proportional to the amount of prey fish, but i might as well be saying it to homer simpson. try to explain how pike have lived side by side with prey fish for millions of years, and they havnt wiped out the prey fish. also what really pisses me off, someone kills a 15lb+ pike thinking of all the fish that wont be eaten, when in fact the 15lb+ pike would also eat lots of smaller jack pike.

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭natdog

natdog wrote: »
    Its not nonsense,the amount of pike killed over the last ten years by eastern europeans was unreal netting the canals and taken anything in the net.
    Its true to say not all europeans are like this but it went on and still goes on in parts.
    Its also true to say that some of the Irish lads are dirtbags but I have never heard a report or rumour about irish lads using nets for pike.
    Boarhunter im not getting into an argument with you but what I have said you cannot disagree with.
    The subject is pike not salmon and I do agree with you about the old irish mentality but that was from salmon and trout men which is why the canals had really good stocks of pike.
    This was lack of education about pike and I think you will find that attitude is almost wiped out now and thank god for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭gary29428

It's also our own so called public servants who are doing damage to fish stocks. I have it on very good aurthority that a pike of over 40lb (just under the current record) was netted and killed on Mask two weeks ago by fisheries staff. They also got 3 over 30 and a number of 20's. Easy picking for them this time of year with the fish spawning. These all came out of the same area on the lake....

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭karlram

why would the fisheries be killing these specimens? but i had an irish lad come up to me yesterday at a lake in monoghan who was walking his dogs and asked how i was doing. i had caught a couple around the 5lb mark and told him this. he asked what i did with them so told him i relaesed them to his surprise. he then asked if i got anymore would i keep them for him as he wanted to feed his pups on them as theyre great for young dogs coat and that lads regularly give him their catch for this purpose. :mad::mad: so i proceeded to tell him no in a very impolite manner:D:D:D:D:D:D but its ****e to think lads not from east europe are killing them. its easy to blame the eastern europeans but we need to take at look at our own lads too.

Advertisement