Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What should a Synopsis look like?

Options
  • 12-11-2010 2:05pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1

Hey guys,

I've been asked to come up with a synopsis for a book that I'm writing, however I'm finding it a little difficult to do... all indications suggest that it's going to be harder to write this than it is to actually write the book.

What is the best way to write one and what do you guys think it should entail?

How long should it be?

H.

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,252 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Have a read of this for a general overview. There are a lot of factors to consider.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=66529494&postcount=4

• Registered Users Posts: 5,775 ✭✭✭EileenG

Welcome to the wonderful world of the synopsis. Often harder to write than your original book.

Ring and ask what sort of synopsis they want. Some people only want a single spaced, single sheet, others want up to ten pages of detail.

The basic rule for a synopsis is that you tell all. It's not the blurb that goes on the back of the book, it gives the whole plot (including the murderer in a mystery) so there are no surprises. It gives a small outline of the main characters, and possibly mentions the theme of the book. It's normal to type character names in capitals.

Advertisement