Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone know anything about this ruin???

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭DeepSleeper

It is in the townland of Bellmont Lower and is marked on the Ordnance Survey 25-inch map as a Lodge (i.e. Gate Lodge) for Bellmont House which lies to the west of it. I think that map was produced around 1900, but Bellmont House is not shown on the earlier 1st edition 6-inch map (from circa 1840) - So, we can assume that Bellmont House was built in the late 1800's, but the interesting thing is that the Lodge associated with it (as shown by the OP) appears to be there on the 1840's map, though in a smaller form...

In other words, it was a house in the 1840's which was large enlarged and elaborated to serve as a Gate Lodge when Bellmont House was built nearby.

Follow this link in click 'Historic 6"' and 'Historic 25"' to see the old maps - modern aerial photo available there too.

http://maps.osi.ie/publicviewer/#V1,543264,565272,7

• Registered Users Posts: 1,230 ✭✭✭chem

This house was originaly a mill house. It used the river as a power supply to turn corn into flour.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 54 ✭✭suzerxxx

its a gate house, i used to drive past it regularly as a child and was always facinated by it, not much help tho

• Registered Users Posts: 258 ✭✭Twiggy69

My sincere apologies DeepSleeper, chem & suzerxxx for not noticing your most detailed and helpful replies. DeepSleeper, you have proven to be a mine of information on this topic and I am sincerely thankful for the painstaking research you carried out.

I will forward all your replies and I am sure my friend will indeed be both amazed at your generosity and thankful for your responses.

Kind regards,

T

• Closed Accounts Posts: 54 ✭✭suzerxxx

just noticed that person standing behind the wall, thats a bit strange isint it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭RollYerOwn

A woman walking along a road?

• Registered Users Posts: 797 ✭✭✭Tiercel Dave

Even stranger is the car that looks as though it has been abandoned at the crossroads!!! The thick plottens!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭Riamfada

murder afoot?

• Registered Users Posts: 607 ✭✭✭brianwalshcork

it is indeed strange - it looks like mary harney - what was she up to?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭Riamfada

Probably just one of those pesky ghost hunters.

If anyone is in the area do they fancy getting a few snaps of the interior?Bogman, I am looking at you!

• Advertisement
Advertisement