Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Kremlin's next high profile target?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

You'd wonder if there'd be a point. You'd think that Shcherbakov would have told the US all that he's willing to tell. The only reason to kill him would be retribution or to make a statement to other would be defectors. And it would be a hell of a risk to organise the hit just for that. As it stands, Shcherbakov will live the rest of his life in fear.

If he was to be assassinated, I'd say it won't happen for a few years. At the moment the US would be watching him like a hawk. Once it's decided he's no longer any use to them, they won't care what happens to him and the hit could be made.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,980 ✭✭✭meglome

Boo Radley wrote: »
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-11734424

Do you reckon the folks at the FSB will conspire to murder on American soil as they supposedly did Alexander Litvinenko on British?

I doubt you'll get much discussion on it here though. If you can't shoehorn the US or the Israelis into it then it's not worth discussing seemingly.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

meglome wrote: »
    I doubt you'll get much discussion on it here though. If you can't shoehorn the US or the Israelis into it then it's not worth discussing seemingly.
    Enough of that!

• Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭Boo Radley

humanji wrote: »
    You'd wonder if there'd be a point. You'd think that Shcherbakov would have told the US all that he's willing to tell. The only reason to kill him would be retribution or to make a statement to other would be defectors. And it would be a hell of a risk to organise the hit just for that. As it stands, Shcherbakov will live the rest of his life in fear.

If he was to be assassinated, I'd say it won't happen for a few years. At the moment the US would be watching him like a hawk. Once it's decided he's no longer any use to them, they won't care what happens to him and the hit could be made.

I was just so taken aback when Litvinenko was so brutally killed and he was more of a decenter than a traitor wasn't he? I can't quite remember the details. I now wouldn't be surprised if they target Shcherbakov, they are in a growing position of power with regard Europe (gas and what not) and their action hero leader may feel invincible.

I guess I'll be keeping a keen eye on how it unfolds in the coming months and years. I sure wouldn't want to be in his shoes.

Well feel free to put forward your opinion on the OP :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,620 ✭✭✭sligopark

perhaps they would consider shooting an irish citizen on irish soil and take out mr potatoe head

I was just so taken aback when Litvinenko was so brutally killed and he was more of a decenter than a traitor wasn't he? I can't quite remember the details. I now wouldn't be surprised if they target Shcherbakov, they are in a growing position of power with regard Europe (gas and what not) and their action hero leader may feel invincible.

I guess I'll be keeping a keen eye on how it unfolds in the coming months and years. I sure wouldn't want to be in his shoes.

Well it may not have been the Kremlin directly that took out Litvinenko. Though they'll likely know exactly who did it. Shcherbakov has got to be wondering when he'll have an 'accident'.

Well it may not have been the Kremlin directly that took out Litvinenko. Though they'll likely know exactly who did it. Shcherbakov has got to be wondering when he'll have an 'accident'.

Any ideas who would have organised it? Pretty high profile stuff getting their hands on polonium apparently from a Russian nuclear power plant.

It seems whoever planned it was not aware the west had means of detecting it as it's undetectable unless it's being looked for specifically.

I wonder if there is an attempt on Shcherbakov's life if it will be even more inventive. Hope for his sake they'll forget about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 728 ✭✭✭joebucks

It seems whoever planned it was not aware the west had means of detecting it as it's undetectable unless it's being looked for specifically.

Unless they wanted it to be detected. Send a message out to any other snitches/infidels/turncoats

joebucks wrote: »
    Unless they wanted it to be detected. Send a message out to any other snitches/infidels/turncoats

It's a good point. Mind you it was a very elaborate way of killing someone if they wanted people to know. There's easier means of killing a person if they wanted to send a message. Can't see them using a radioactive material that is very hard to detect if they wanted it to be detected. They could have just used a more traceable material.

I suspect they wanted to send a message by his mysterious death while conserving plausible deniability.

• Advertisement

It's a good point. Mind you it was a very elaborate way of killing someone if they wanted people to know. There's easier means of killing a person if they wanted to send a message. Can't see them using a radioactive material that is very hard to detect if they wanted it to be detected. They could have just used a more traceable material.

I suspect they wanted to send a message by his mysterious death while conserving plausible deniability.

I imagine nothing says you've pee'd someone off like 8 bullets to the face.

I imagine nothing says you've pee'd someone off like 8 bullets to the face.

Ceratinly would drive the point home alright.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 728 ✭✭✭joebucks

Yeah it's a very strange one and it is the manner of his death that is also shocking. I'd probably take 8 bullets to the face and an instant death over 12 days of hell and slow death from radiation.

Here's a link to some of the alternative theories. Mad stuff altogether.

http://www.independent.ie/world-news/americas/russian-hit-squad-in-us-to-hunt-for-renegade-2417431.html
    RUSSIA has sent a hit squad to kill a renegade colonel in its own foreign intelligence service who fled to the US this summer after exposing an extensive spy ring.

The man, named as Colonel Scherbakov, worked for Russia's SVR foreign intelligence service, a successor agency to the KGB, where he oversaw a top-secret programme to dispatch long-term sleeper agents or 'illegals' to the US.

Russian intelligence sources told the 'Kommersant' newspaper he was the traitor who gave the FBI the names of the 10 sleeper agents in the ring, including the glamorous spy Anna Chapman.

Advertisement