Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

does the "meteor broadband to go stick" work in a MAC OS X 10.4.11 PowerPC G5??

Options
  • 12-11-2010 1:12am
    Registered Users Posts: 25

Hi there

I was wonder if any one know if the "meteor broadband to go stick" would work in a MAC OS X 10.4.11 PowerPC G5. I looked the meteor website and under the computer requirements the only information I get is as follows...

"MAC OS X10.4"

Which doesn't really help much.

I'd appreciate any help with this.

Thanks. ;)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭Inspector Gadget

Umm, dunno about that specific one, but the two Huawei dongles I have (an E220 "soap on a rope" and an E189 "thumb drive" shaped one) both work fine with my PowerMac G5 (running Tiger, like you), if that helps?

To be honest, however, I have mine plugged into a 3G capable wireless router these days so it's largely a moot point.

Gadget

• Registered Users Posts: 25 Mcwood

Hi Gadget,

Thanks for that.

I called Meteor this afternoon to enquire about the Broadband stick and they said that won't work with PowerPC, that only work on an intel. :pac:

My apologist for my little knowledge in this, but do you need to have Airport Card in the machine for the Huawei dongle to work or doesn't matter. I Don't have an Aiport Card in the G5, so no wireless. :confused:

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 724 ✭✭✭muggyog

IG, you must have the ppc drivers then. Were they on an install CD?
    What dongle do you use now with that snazzy router?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭Inspector Gadget

If you know the exact brand and model of the modem, you can hunt around for drivers on their web site to be sure. In terms of Airport cards and whatnot, while I do have an Airport-compatible card (it's actually an old Buffalo card, but it shares a chipset with some of the Airport cards so OSX is happy out) but the dongles mount like a modem, so there's no problem.

I don't think the Huawei control software works on 10.4 (the thing that allows you to check text messages, that sort of thing) but the driver works, and from there you can connect to it from the modem icon on the menu bar.

With regards to my "snazzy" (!) router, I've got the E189G connected, but both work fine. There's a list of supported models on the Edimax web site.

Hope this helps.

Advertisement