Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What is the earliest you have taken down your christmas tree??

Options
  • 12-11-2010 12:56am
    Registered Users Posts: 416 ✭✭

Probably an unusual thread as you might expect it to say 'what is the earliest you have put up your christmas tree'.

I know someone who took down their christmas tree on St Stephen's day! Every time I think of this I can't stop laughing :) They completely stripped the poor tree on St Stephen's day and threw it on the front lawn which was a little early I thought:D This tree was visible to anyone walking by the house.

I'd love to hear similar funny stories.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭immature ejaculation

isnt there a date in january that you are meant to take it down?

• Registered Users Posts: 691 ✭✭✭wellboy76

isnt there a date in january that you are meant to take it down?

6th?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭Tech3

I rather see a thread for when the earliest you put up the christmas tree! 6th is the earliest date I've taken down the Christmas tree.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭dolphin city

Probably an unusual thread as you might expect it to say 'what is the earliest you have put up your christmas tree'.

I know someone who took down their christmas tree on St Stephen's day! Every time I think of this I can't stop laughing :) They completely stripped the poor tree on St Stephen's day and threw it on the front lawn which was a little early I thought:D This tree was visible to anyone walking by the house.

they probably had their tree up since late november and were so sick of it by Christmas they couldn't wait to get rid.

we put ours up a week before Christmas and take it down on 6th jan.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,545 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

Little Christmas- January 6th.

Hate that day! :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,807 ✭✭✭Poly

July

• Registered Users Posts: 2,775 ✭✭✭Fittle

I put mine up on the 1st of Dec and take it down on 1st Jan...I've never waited until the 6th, although I know that's supposed to be bad luck!
    I've a brother who puts his (fibre optic, ready straight out of the box) up the day before xmas eve and takes it down the day after stephen's day!!! Bah humbug!

• Moderators Posts: 24,367 ✭✭✭✭ChewChew

My mam takes her tree down the day after st stephens day :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,203 ✭✭✭Heyes

6th of jan all the way

• Registered Users Posts: 2,166 ✭✭✭carolinespring

I have a friend who always takes her tree downon St Stephens day. Crazy as it is only the 2nd day of Christmas. She puts it up the weekend before Christmas and says she is sick looking atg it by Stephens day. I used to think she didnt like Christmas but she spends a crazy amount on presents for her 2 children yet gets rid of the tree at the first chance.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 347 ✭✭desolate sun

I have a friend who always takes her tree downon St Stephens day. Crazy as it is only the 2nd day of Christmas. She puts it up the weekend before Christmas and says she is sick looking atg it by Stephens day. I used to think she didnt like Christmas but she spends a crazy amount on presents for her 2 children yet gets rid of the tree at the first chance.

God that is the most depressing thing I've ever heard. Part of Christmas for me, is seeing everybody's house/garden lit up when I drive/walk past their houses.

This thread has a bit of humbug to it. I don't think I will be reading it again :D

PS My brother in the UK NEVER puts up any decorations and I find that so depressing :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭magentas

Never ever before the 6th.

I try and milk it for as long as possible!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,600 ✭✭✭00112984

I once took the tree in my apartment down on December 22nd because I was heading down home for Christmas until after the New Year and didn't want the depressing sight of facing into a festive tree that would only remind me that I was back in Dublin again.

Well, I think that's okay! You were heading somewhere else festive, that's the important thing. :)

Poly wrote: »
    July
    magentas wrote: »
    I try and milk it for as long as possible!

I love you guys! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭cynder

I took mine down on Jan 1st one year as the kids kept on knocking it over and it looked hideous. Think that was xmas 2008 ( jan 1st 2009), also the toys had filled up the living room and we had no space.

oh also my husband took down the decorations on jan 1st 2007 and i was coming home from hospital with a little bundle of joy (who is now turning 4) and wanted the place spot less. ( i found all the decorations in the bathroom upstairs and they stayed there until we got a stira fitted 5 months later)

• Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭mark17j

Took it down today, took me ages to untangle all the fairy lights, nearly took out the scissors lol arghhhhh.
    The place look so bare and empty without it tho :s

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭chucken1

I dont want to take mine down :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,247 ✭✭✭milli milli

chucken1 wrote: »
    I dont want to take mine down :(

You don't have to! You can leave it up for as long as you want. There's no rules!

Last Christmas I got a tree branch and decorated it with little wooden ornaments. I had it in the kitchen and had my main tree in the living room. When I took my big tree and decs down (about a week after the 6th! Ha!) I left the wooden tree up! It didn't look that Christmassy anyway. I left the wooden ornaments on til near Easter and when Easter came around I put little eggs on it.
    It became my all-year tree then and tried to decorate it for the different seasons, e.g. For Halloween, etc.

It's going to stay up again this year. I might put little snowflakes on it, because it's still winter (and I'm wishing for snow!)

• Registered Users Posts: 590 ✭✭✭maddragon

I took mine down at 3am one year. That was the earliest. Usually I do it at 4pm.

• Advertisement

I took it down a couple of days before Little Christmas this year because I knew I'd be working on the 6th and just wanted it over with. Waah. :(

I love the idea of the all-year tree, Milli Milli- excellent! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,247 ✭✭✭milli milli

Posy wrote: »
    I love the idea of the all-year tree, Milli Milli- excellent! :)

It started off as me being defiant and wanting to leave something up from Christmas, but then it morphed into an all-season tree. :)
    I will make more of an effort with it this year though.

(Actually another boards member Littlemis keeps her main tree up all year and does something similar. Not sure if I got the idea from her or what? But I only use a branch)

I love the idea of celebrating the seasons. Why should it only be Christmas that we get to decorate our homes?

I keep meaning to look up other Winter Festivals - it might be a bit of an excuse to have winter-type decorations around the house. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭robbie_998

gladly didnt put one up this year :D

Advertisement