Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Curious(again) about this Mic

Options
  • 11-11-2010 11:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,672 ✭✭✭

Okay so ive been doing alot of reading up these days on recording and mics and ****.

I came across a reference to the mic used on "Thriller"
    The Shure sm7.

I googled it expecting it to be very pricey but it seems its a relativly cheap mic.
    Is it widely used?
    the reviews seem good for it.

Again just curious:)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,277 ✭✭✭DamagedTrax

my fave rock mic. it gets nice and gritty on a male vocal :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,672 ✭✭✭seannash

Ive done a search on here but noone has ever recommended it to anyone it seems.

Could it work on regular vocals?

seannash wrote: »
    Ive done a search on here but noone has ever recommended it to anyone it seems.

Could it work on regular vocals?

i guess. its just not the first thing i'd reach for on a smooth vocal.

it does what it does.. not an allrounder.

i guess. its just not the first thing i'd reach for on a smooth vocal.

it does what it does.. not an allrounder.
    ah okay
    Thought it would have been good seeing as how Micheal Jackson used it on Thriller.

Would it be a case of not being a professional allrounder but a good allrounder for everyone else?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,455 ✭✭✭krd

It's not a condenser mike. It's a bog standard stage mic. It you want to sing quietly and have rich detail in the recording, you use an expensive condenser mike. If you have someone belting it out, you use a a shure. People like Bono and Freddie Mercury used shure stage mics to record their vocals.

A condenser mic can reveal a lot of ugliness in a vocal - stage mics can be very forgiving.

• Advertisement

krd wrote: »
    It's not a condenser mike. It's a bog standard stage mic. It you want to sing quietly and have rich detail in the recording, you use an expensive condenser mike. If you have someone belting it out, you use a a shure. People like Bono and Freddie Mercury used shure stage mics to record their vocals.

A condenser mic can reveal a lot of ugliness in a vocal - stage mics can be very forgiving.
    For bog standard its getting good reviews though.Its only 300 squids.
    A bit mad that micheal jackson used it

Found a list of artists that used it

1. Michael Jackson, Thriller
    2. Brandon Boyd of Incubus, (YouTube - Brandon boyd (INCUBUS) a Capella)
    3. Fran Drescher
    4. Between the Buried and Me
    5. Every Time I Die
    6. Devin Townsend
    7. Mastadon, Crack the Sky
    8. Wilco, Sky Blue Sky
    9. James Hetfield, Metallica
    10. Tegan and Sara
    11. Hawthorne Heights
    12. Stevie Nicks
    13. Death Cab for Cutie
    14. Lifehouse
    15. System of a Down
    16. Bruce Springsteen
    17. John Mayer
    18. Kings of Leon
    19. Neil Finn
    20. Billy Corgan, Smashing Pumpkins
    21. Los Lonely Boyz
    22. AC/DC
    23. Oasis
    24. Billy Idol
    25. Red Hot Chili Peppers

Good few shouty types on there alright but surely there has to be some detail in there shouts too?

Total noob at this so i could be missing the obvious

as i said. it does some stuff very very well but its never gonna be velvet ;)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,455 ✭✭✭krd

seannash wrote: »
    For bog standard its getting good reviews though.Its only 300 squids.
    A bit mad that micheal jackson used it

It's bog standard, because the shure range are considered the standard.

It's because what it does. In the way it does it. It looses a lot of what you give it. but it tends to lose what you want it to lose. They're dynamic mics - so you can go from loud to quiet easily.

It's like saying, why don't electric guitarist replace their coil pickups with little condenser microphones for better quality.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,892 ✭✭✭madtheory

It's a great sounding mic. For vocals it has no shortcomings compared to a condenser. Particularly if you're going to be compressing the vocal a lot. Other great dynamics are RE20, Beyerdynamic M201, Sennheiser 421.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,401 ✭✭✭jtsuited

whack it into a distressor and you've my favourite male vocal chain.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 650 ✭✭✭Aridstarling

madtheory wrote: »
    It's a great sounding mic. For vocals it has no shortcomings compared to a condenser. Particularly if you're going to be compressing the vocal a lot. Other great dynamics are RE20, Beyerdynamic M201, Sennheiser 421.

If you had to choose one Mad? I'm looking at the Sm7b, RE20 and 421 early next year, just having trouble picking one at the moment. They all seem to tick the same boxes really. I'm sure I'll end up with all three eventually.

RE20 personally. It has a beautiful sound on most voices- that's why it's so popular in radio. It's also the most cardioid cardioid I've ever used, excellent rejection in a multi mic setting. That's because it's a seriously well designed interference tube. The SM7 is too close to a 58 for my taste, I'd go for the 201 before that because they work well on a lot of instruments IME.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 650 ✭✭✭Aridstarling

Thanks Mad, I'll definitely keep that in mind. One of my friends is getting the 201 soon (on my recommendation) and we try to get complementary gear seeing as we end up using each others stuff all the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,964 ✭✭✭Doge

madtheory wrote: »
    I'd go for the 201 before that because they work well on a lot of instruments IME.

They do IMH! ;)

waveform wrote: »
    They do IMH! ;)
    You'd love that.

Advertisement