Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice on college courses

Options
  • 11-11-2010 6:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭

Hi, i'm currently in 6th year and i'm hoping to study film production or similar in college starting next year.

What I really need advice on is the courses available. Currently my main aim is to get into IADT, failing that i'll more than likely to go to GMIT (i live in Castlebar, Mayo so its close to home which is a bit of a plus i suppose) but I don't have much knowledge of many other courses. I know off some courses such as ones in DKIT and Ballyfermot (but i really do not know much about that, only found out about it today)

If someone could sort of give me an overview of courses here and just some general advice, it would be much appreciated, im a bit confused at the minute :o

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭roguey

anyone?? really need some advice!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭Di0genes

roguey wrote: »
    anyone?? really need some advice!

I went to ballyfermot back in 1998.

I can't comment on the current course or teachers. but of my class and the years around me we've got about a dozen or so people working in the industry. Ranging from production, editing, camera, art dept etc. I'm back in Ireland working for ITV at the moment.

I'd aim for ballyfermot or IADT.

yeah IADT or Ballyfermot is what im aiming for. But im a bit confused on Ballyfermot, like is it a PLC or a proper college course, if ya get me?

roguey wrote: »
    yeah IADT or Ballyfermot is what im aiming for. But im a bit confused on Ballyfermot, like is it a PLC or a proper college course, if ya get me?

It was a PLC with a optional one year course to gain a degree.

Not for nothing no one ever looked at whether I had a diploma or degree on my cv

• Closed Accounts Posts: 73 ✭✭jimw1988

i have completed video and sound technology in L.I.T. course is starting to improve a lot! it covers tv,radio,film and some live filming of shows!subjects include throughout years video post production using Avid.Video and Audio Production! It will provide you with a great base for further study if you want to!You will also eventually get oppurtunity to makeyour own short films and whatnot!they also have fantastic facilities and gear if your willing to take advantage of them!

• Advertisement

I would stay as far away from GMIT as I could if I was you. I'm currently in year 3 of the film and tv course and regretting every day of it. The course is a joke, poor facilities, lecturers who aren't qualified in the subjects they teach. Student morale in the year is at rock bottom with attendance number way down. Multiple complaints have been made regarding the course but like most things in life nothing is going to change anytime soon.

Thoughts on most of the modules:
    Editing: Pointless given that the lecturer isn't familiar with the software and spends more time restarting the mac when it freezes than teaching.

Script: An absolute joke of a module with a lecturer who isn't even familiar with the proper formatting or content of a script. over a month this semester was dedicated to documentary which absolutely ridiculous. You'd be better off getting a programme such as Final Draft and learning how to format a script using it.

Production Design: A monumental waste of time in which you spend classes drawing corners, making castles out of newspaper and measuring a room.

Digital Media: One of the more interesting classes in which you are taught After Effects and Photoshop. The lecturer knows what he's on about and is damn good at it though a little more in class learning would be appreciated. Year 3 so far has been fantastic, the only class you are guaranteed to leave having learnt something new.

Audio: Again a lecturer who knows what he's taking about and a very informative class. The theory does get rather boring but it's one of the few modules in which you come away with a feeling that you've learnt something.

Film Theory: So much potential to learn, unfortunately the class involves 2 or 3 students giving a presentation on a genre/film maker followed by the odd power point from the lecturer or a film.

Broadcast Theory: Pretty much exactly the same as film theory.

Work Experience: A bit of a joke, some will get a proper placement, on a set such as Ros na Run but the vast majority of people will spend their time in galleries or cleaning out "stock" rooms in the college.

Photography: An interesting class though the computer based stuff is rather boring as an entire class can be about how to copy a picture to your computer. Important also to note that this module is only for 1st year.

Film: Far too much emphasis placed on experimental cinema and time spent in the classroom. You won't learn much but you do get some hands on experience with film cameras, shame then that the equipment is so out of date.

Documentary: Was the best module the college offering, a lecturer who knows what he's talking about and is passionate about it. Very hands on with you getting to play with camera, lights, etc from pretty much day one. Sadly in year three it became a little less interesting and more of a bitch fest than anything else.

Ok,

So i just applied for Ballyfermot Film Course.
    Interview on March 14th :) Feels like not that long to get my portfolio in order :eek: But i'll manage ok!

I have another question though, I've heard that what alot of people do is if they dont get into Ballyfermot or wherever first time, they do a one year Portfolio Course. Has anybody done this? and where can you do this? I've seen that there is one in Ballyfermot too, so should i apply for that now too?? or possibly after I find out I didnt get in?

How hard is it actually to get into the Film Course??

• Registered Users Posts: 30 Anna_Banana

It’s down to your portfolio really.
    It is hard to get in, you have to show your work/interest in the industry/prove your worth basically!

I applied for IADT twice, and got in the second time.

Ballyfermot and IADT are your best bets.
    I’m in IADT at the moment and absolutely loving it.
    I have a few friends currently in, and recently graduated from Ballyfermot.
    I’ve heard that you get out what you put in. Theres a high drop out rate, but if you want to do well, you will.

My advice - start working on your portfolio today.
    Not after Christmas, not next week, do it right now. This minute!

If worst comes to worst, and you don’t get offered a place in Ballier or IADT in Sept, do a portfolio course or a plc closer to home. No need to move to Dublin for a portfolio course!

thanks for the advice! Funnily enough i am starting my portfolio today! startin my first short in a while!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭GregoryNimmo

It’s down to your portfolio really.
    It is hard to get in, you have to show your work/interest in the industry/prove your worth basically!

I applied for IADT twice, and got in the second time.

Ballyfermot and IADT are your best bets.
    I’m in IADT at the moment and absolutely loving it.
    I have a few friends currently in, and recently graduated from Ballyfermot.
    I’ve heard that you get out what you put in. Theres a high drop out rate, but if you want to do well, you will.

My advice - start working on your portfolio today.
    Not after Christmas, not next week, do it right now. This minute!

If worst comes to worst, and you don’t get offered a place in Ballier or IADT in Sept, do a portfolio course or a plc closer to home. No need to move to Dublin for a portfolio course!

What kinda stuff would you need in your portfolio?

• Advertisement

What kinda stuff would you need in your portfolio?

Photographs, writing, short films, sample websites, drawings, anything creative really.

Advertisement