Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wiring a plug :D

Options
  • 11-11-2010 6:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 583 ✭✭✭

Sorry Mods if this is in the wrong place but couldn't find an appropriate forum.

So, have a laptop that came with a Type C CEE7-17 plug for the charger, this one.
    http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:CEE_7-17_plug_and_socket.png

It won't be another week or so before I get the proper Type G plug that we use and in the off-chance that I can't find a Type C to Type G adapter would it be OK to snip off the end of the Type C plug and wire the blue/brown wires into a Type G plug?

And thanks :D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 442 ✭✭random.stranger

Should be fine OP. If it's been sourced from a supplier you're not sure about you might want to confirm that the voltage rating is 230V (as devices with a type C plug normally are).

Also, it's important to have the correct fuse on the plug (or adapter if you use one instead). If current rating isn't written on the power supply, the power will be written eg 60W (For 60 Watts).

A one amp fuse will be fine for power supplies up to 230W. Using a 10 or 13 amp fuse for a low current appliance like this is a potential fire hazard (I wouldn't be too happy using a 5 amp fuse either).

• Registered Users Posts: 583 ✭✭✭PandyAndy

Thanks random.stranger, wired it all up to the Type G plug and it's working fine. Using the 13A fuse that came with it too, but it's only a temporary thing until next week anyway and I'll only be using the charger when I'm on the laptop so it's unlikely there'll be any fire risks. Thanks again :)

• Registered Users Posts: 442 ✭✭random.stranger

Glad to hear it worked. Thanks for taking the time to let us know how it went.

Advertisement