Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Home Security camera System

Options
  • 11-11-2010 2:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,660 ✭✭✭

Hi Im looking to install a home security camera system that records to hard disk and has motion sensors. Some along the line of this on the Peats site Product code CCTV-SW344-DPS . Has anyone installed something similiar or could they recommend a system that would meet the normal 2 story semi detached home.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,058 ✭✭✭Jnealon

There is practically zero information on the Peats site about this kit.
    That can only be a bad thing.
    RF concepts in the north have a wide range of kit aimed at the DIY market.
    If you need any more help let me know

• Registered Users Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

Jnealon wrote: »
    There is practically zero information on the Peats site about this kit.
    That can only be a bad thing.
    RF concepts in the north have a wide range of kit aimed at the DIY market.
    If you need any more help let me know

+1

Their stuff is decent quality too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭Cole

I don't mean to hijack your thread OP but I'm in a similar position to you. I found this kit, might be of interest to you.

http://www.equicom.ie/outdoor-cctv-kit-1-738-p.asp (You can buy the items individually also)

Does anyone have any opinions? Non technical language please.;)

Cole wrote: »
    I don't mean to hijack your thread OP but I'm in a similar position to you. I found this kit, might be of interest to you.

http://www.equicom.ie/outdoor-cctv-kit-1-738-p.asp (You can buy the items individually also)

Does anyone have any opinions? Non technical language please.;)

In my best non technical language, the recorder isn't great and neither are the cameras

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,704 ✭✭✭squod

And don't forget to mount the cameras under the eves of your house so as they see feck all. Also make sure to playback the recordings on a high def (LCD) TV.

Rant over.

Seriously for another €200 gets you entry level SATA 4-Channel recorder and 4 X 420 line outdoor cameras. Shop around IMO

• Advertisement

Jnealon wrote: »
    In my best non technical language, the recorder isn't great and neither are the cameras

Ok, you can throw in a bit of technical stuff. Anything in particular?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,658 ✭✭✭✭altor

The best thing to do is go into suppliers to view systems they have set up and get prices also. Main thing to be looking for it what the playback looks like. Some look good in live view but playback can be some what disappointing. Hard drive space also but I would rather have higher quality recording than 3 months recording of bad viewing. I would be going for quality rather than cheap cameras. Everfocus, Samsung make some very good outdoor cameras that will suit any premises.

altor wrote: »
    The best thing to do is go into suppliers to view systems they have set up and get prices also.

That's what I had in mind. Thanks for the link...didn't spot the sticky.

Cole wrote: »
    Ok, you can throw in a bit of technical stuff. Anything in particular?
    The amount of frames that it can record a full D1 resolution is low
    The cameras only have a fixed 8mm lens
    On a plus it does have a good hard drive, seagate SV are the best ones for dvr's

• Registered Users Posts: 1,660 ✭✭✭Payton

Thanks guys some of the systems look great, defo some research has to be done and a few extra euro spent but I think its worth it. Thanks again, if and when I do purchase a system I'll post some comments on it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2 lifespeachy

my neighbour has this system and i thought it was great, when i rang peats the guy was very helpful and suggested looking at the swann website as it gives the full technical low down, its 400 euro and i was going to get it tomorrow :P which one are you getting op?

http://www.swannsecurity.com/s/products/view/?product=941

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭Some12

I put a 4 camera system I purchased from Maplin around my house and it works great - Now. The camera and control box are from the manufacturer Swan.

The problems:

1) Poor IR illumination on the smaller cameras. The 300 Euro camera sees about 30 meters in complete darkness but the 80 Euro camera sees about 3. For two of my cameras, I had to buy additional IR illuminators to get another 10 meters.

2) Power supply voltage drop! This drove me up the wall. The 300 Euro camera came with a power supply with a 1 meter length cord. My power source was about 5 meters from the power point. I added additional wire of the same gauge to extend this. When night came and the IR LEDs came on, the voltage drop at the camera turned the image crap. 12 volts at the output of the power supply but 7 volts at the input to the camera. This is due to the internal resistance of the camera dropping below that of the power supply when the LEDs switched on. The solution was to change the additional wire to 4mm thick solid conductor wire. It took me a while to figure this one out!

Swan were great for customer service. I had a question on configuring the setting for motion detection and suggested frame rate and my email was answered the next day.

Oh yes... Don't place your wireless camera receiver near your WiFi router. Your image may be full of noise and static.

Hope this helps!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 funmanger

hi everyone.

I would recommend for a house a varifocal IR dome in the fascia colour.dont buy anything under 480 tvl and get a h264 not mpeg4 dvr with remote viewing capability.
    i have experience in this so if anyone wants more info please feel free to message me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 funmanger

mcpaddens in cork have an excellent system available and their back up is excellent too.they will travel to the site with you and advise on what to use.
    their equipment is first rate and their recorder is easy to network.i have their system and my child plays with it its easy to use.plus no fan means you can put it anywhere.

PM a mod and ask them to list you as a supplier.
    A lot of talk of h264 dvr's today with zero info to back it up.
    Can you post a link to one of these

• Registered Users Posts: 11,658 ✭✭✭✭altor

funmanger wrote: »
    hi everyone.

I would recommend for a house a varifocal IR dome in the fascia colour.dont buy anything under 480 tvl and get a h264 not mpeg4 dvr with remote viewing capability.
    i have experience in this so if anyone wants more info please feel free to message me.

What is the playback like on the system ? Can you post a live link and set me up to control it to check it out ?

Advertisement