Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Key tools needed for making a short film

Options
  • 11-11-2010 1:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,330 ✭✭✭

My G/F is a student in IADT and her new project is a short film about 5 minutes i'd say.

What are the Key tools needed.

lets say the actors and script are sorted and I can do the editing in Adobe premiere pro.

How many cameras should one have ? .. would 1 be enough ?
    What Mic should be used ?

We will be buying some stuff and getting some from the college.. But i'm just trying to get a head start.

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,187 ✭✭✭keefg

One camera will be enough. Multi-cam set ups are only really used for TV shows and the like, pretty much all movies (regardless of their budget) use a one-cam set up. Try to get yourself a few spare batteries though.

Sound gear can get pretty expensive so either try to hire some sound equip and an overhead boom mic or try to get a sound guy to work on the project with you.

Think about lighting. You don't need to spend oodles & oodles on lighting equip, just get creative with any natural light, table lamps etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

keefg wrote: »
    Sound gear can get pretty expensive so either try to hire some sound equip and an overhead boom mic or try to get a sound guy to work on the project with you.

Someone like me with their own gear can be rented fairly cheaply. :cool:
    A fatal error by many (particularly student) shorts is poor location sound recording, as it easy to overlook. Most people will watch a short even if the camera work/lighting is a tad ropey, but nothing is more off putting than wonky sound. It gives people headaches and makes them switchoff very quickly.

Also, it's worth auditioning actors properly. Ie: getting a good audition space and advertising on crookedhouse, filmmakersnetwork etc. to get the best possible talent available. Having more professional actors who are used to learning and delivering lines can save a lot of time and energy, plus it gives the film a more polished feel. While it might be tempting to just cast your mates for simplicity's sake, it isusually not the best idea.

Advertisement