Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Compressing your videos?

Options
  • 11-11-2010 2:48am
    Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭

i was wondering do you guys do it? i have an ezcap and a 15min vid is like 2gb so with a pvr it must be much biger! if you do can you reccommend a program for me?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,569 ✭✭✭✭Tallon

My PVR clips for 15 mins are like 500K

After rendering in Vegas they go down to about 300

I had that problem before with easycap, your settings are wrong.

Are you recording AVI?

• Registered Users Posts: 604 ✭✭✭DemoniK

Must be using MJPEG as the codec or something....
    I get 6GB for 10min on the Black Magic @720p with MJPEG

500k for 15mins Tallon?
    What are you compressing with - that's tiny! Even 10mins of WMV is 80MB for me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,569 ✭✭✭✭Tallon

As above, vegas pro.

i'll double check the exact sizes when I'm home

• Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭IrishWelshCelt

the file format im recording in is mpeg. i have the option of mpeg1 or mpeg2. im using the program which came with my ezcap called ArcSoft ShowBiz

• Registered Users Posts: 4,502 ✭✭✭TheChrisD

Just be glad you don't have a BMI, I take somewhere between 800MB and a gig a minute at 1080i, 59.94fps using Motion JPEG :pac:

Rendered, about 80MB a minute.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭IrishWelshCelt

can i do something in sony vegas to do with rendering?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,713 ✭✭✭Bonavox

TheChrisD wrote: »
    Just be glad you don't have a BMI, I take somewhere between 800MB and a gig a minute at 1080i, 59.94fps using Motion JPEG :pac:

Rendered, about 80MB a minute.

But would you need 1080i? I used to record at 1080i, but 720p works great and there's no noticeable difference on YouTube and such.

• Registered Users Posts: 604 ✭✭✭DemoniK

Bonavox wrote: »
    But would you need 1080i? I used to record at 1080i, but 720p works great and there's no noticeable difference on YouTube and such.
    +1
    1080 bitrates on utube are pants compared to 720p considering the amount of res you need to transfer, and since most games on consoles are 720p or lower it doesn't make sense to upscale and cost more upload time...
    can i do something in sony vegas to do with rendering?
    When you render/edit in vegas or other video editing solutions (I use cyberlinks powerdirector) you typically target a WMV or H264 codec which will significantly reduce the harddisk. However you need to watch the settings. Took me a few goes to get it just right (for me :)). I render to 720p H264 at about 45MB/min using a CVBR of 6Mbps and peak of 8Mbps. Takes a while to upload to utube, but does process well and with good bitrates I keep many of the clips around for montages later. If it's jsut going to utube I do WMV (I'll get settings later) and target about 10MB/min.

Advertisement