Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are Book/Story Titles Copyrighted?

Options
  • 11-11-2010 12:41am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 327 ✭✭

Hi all, just a quick question. I've tried looking through legal stuff but I can't come up with a definitive answer.

Are titles for books, movies, short stories copyrighted?

I'm entering a story into a competition. I Googled the title and it turns out there's a film (a really obscure one) with the same name. The title is a phrase.

Example: say your title is "Woman In A Tree" (just for example, something vague). If you found out there was already a film, etc. with the same name, are you infringing on their copyright by calling your story or novel the same thing?

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,252 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

I don't think so. There are thousands of films and songs with the same name and I've never heard of it being a problem, so I guess the same applies to book/story titles. Some titles are so short it would be ridiculous if they were copyrighted.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 169 ✭✭bigsmokewriting

Nope! Can't copyright a title*. :)

*unless it's a trademark, but that's slightly different, usually not an issue

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

Back in the 80s there were three songs called Power of Love in the top 10 at the same time. A title is just a title - the story is your copyright.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 327 ✭✭St._Andalou

OK, thanks all for the replies! That's good to know.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,798 ✭✭✭goose2005

If the title is just some common words, no. But you couldn't call it "Harry Potter and the X", for example.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,775 ✭✭✭EileenG

If you had a series of books with a character called Harry Potter, you probably could. But you'd have to go to a lot of trouble to make sure people don't confuse your Harry Potter with the more famous one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 47 Borak

Hi all, just a quick question. I've tried looking through legal stuff but I can't come up with a definitive answer.

Are titles for books, movies, short stories copyrighted?

I'm entering a story into a competition. I Googled the title and it turns out there's a film (a really obscure one) with the same name. The title is a phrase.

Example: say your title is "Woman In A Tree" (just for example, something vague). If you found out there was already a film, etc. with the same name, are you infringing on their copyright by calling your story or novel the same thing?

I don't think you can copyright a name, but if your story is like EXTREMELY similar to that of a movie or another novel, then yes, I think you could get into legal trouble as I think there is some sort of disclaimer in books before contents page.

Advertisement