Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rosetta Stone Gaelic?

Options
  • 10-11-2010 11:24pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭

Brand new here..hello!

What is the expert opinion on the Rosetta Stone version of Gaelic?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭Toyota_Avensis

haven't tried it but I understand its quite expensive. Learning a language needn't be costly. There are plenty of beginner web pages online. ''Learning Irish'' by Ó Siadhail is a great book and is available from libraries throughout the country. Get a Fóclóir aswel and as you progress buy some Primary/Secondary Education books. Learning a Language isn't all about books and study, you should throw yourself into the culture by listening to Radió na Gaeltachta, Radio na Life, watching TG4 (TnaG) and buying your Irish Independent which includes the Irish Language Freesheet 'Foinse' every Wednesday. Make enquiries about a local Ciorcail Gaeilge, or Ranganna Gaeilge.. Contact some local Irish Language organisations... Full immersion is the best way to learn a Language, and it's an asset Money cannot really buy... Such as blowing the guts of 100 yoyos on a Rosetta Stone Package... Madness!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭AWard

haven't tried it but I understand its quite expensive. Learning a language needn't be costly. There are plenty of beginner web pages online. ''Learning Irish'' by Ó Siadhail is a great book and is available from libraries throughout the country. Get a Fóclóir aswel and as you progress buy some Primary/Secondary Education books. Learning a Language isn't all about books and study, you should throw yourself into the culture by listening to Radió na Gaeltachta, Radio na Life, watching TG4 (TnaG) and buying your Irish Independent which includes the Irish Language Freesheet 'Foinse' every Wednesday. Make enquiries about a local Ciorcail Gaeilge, or Ranganna Gaeilge.. Contact some local Irish Language organisations... Full immersion is the best way to learn a Language, and it's an asset Money cannot really buy... Such as blowing the guts of 100 yoyos on a Rosetta Stone Package... Madness!

Weeellll.....not really an option on this side of the pond. The Gaelic options are quite limited! I prefer full immersion, personally - I pick up languages pretty quickly and accents within minutes :p

Irish Independent....hmm....lemme go see how viable an option that is for me, might be an ebook?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,677 ✭✭✭deise go deo

AWard wrote: »
    Weeellll.....not really an option on this side of the pond. The Gaelic options are quite limited! I prefer full immersion, personally - I pick up languages pretty quickly and accents within minutes :p

Irish Independent....hmm....lemme go see how viable an option that is for me, might be an ebook?

Ba mhaith liom fios Buntús Cainte. Is trí sraith leabhar a théann trí na struchtúir bhunúsacha na teanga. tá CD's áireamh ionas gur féidir leat piocadh suas an blás freisin.;)
    I would suggest Buntús Cainte(Basic Speach). It is a three book set that goes through the basic structures of the language. It has cd's included so you can pick up the accent too.;)

Cosnaíonn sé thart ar €20 anseo.
    It costs about 20 euro here.

Thank you! I appreciate that greatly...off to hunt these things down.

My husband and I went cruising the podcast world and found an interesting podcast "Hello fada" by Irish Roots. I learned that a fada can make a huge difference in meaning. It was nice to hear the spoken Gaelic at the end of the presentation, beautiful language :) He thought he'd already looked, but when I pointed out the spelling difference, he re-ran the search and found a few more offerings.

Thanks everyone for being so helpful with this and sharing your time and expertise in this!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭Krusader

You may find classes near you here

http://www.daltai.com/classes.htm

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,677 ✭✭✭deise go deo

Thank you! I appreciate that greatly...off to hunt these things down.

My husband and I went cruising the podcast world and found an interesting podcast "Hello fada" by Irish Roots. I learned that a fada can make a huge difference in meaning. It was nice to hear the spoken Gaelic at the end of the presentation, beautiful language :) He thought he'd already looked, but when I pointed out the spelling difference, he re-ran the search and found a few more offerings.

Thanks everyone for being so helpful with this and sharing your time and expertise in this!

Go deimhin, is féidir é.
    Indeed it can.

Fear = Man
    Féar = Grass

Thig leat teacht ar ais le ceist ar bith.
    Feel free to come back with any questions.

Go N-Eirí an t-ádh leat.:)
    Best of luck

Nothing closer than about 3-4hour drive unfortunately :(

I'm a pretty quick study, so I'll use all the resources listed and get this through my thick skull one way or another :D Hearing the Foinse being read aloud really helped a lot, it narrowed down some of the syntax and cadence of speech that was so confusing for me.

BTW- Foinse = foin <like "coin">-sah?

I'm also making the assumption that Gaeilge is the correct spelling...?

Ba mhaith liom fios Buntús Cainte. Is trí sraith leabhar a théann trí na struchtúir bhunúsacha na teanga. tá CD's áireamh ionas gur féidir leat piocadh suas an blás freisin.;)
    I would suggest Buntús Cainte(Basic Speach). It is a three book set that goes through the basic structures of the language. It has cd's included so you can pick up the accent too.;)

Cosnaíonn sé thart ar €20 anseo.
    It costs about 20 euro here.

Ordered 1 and 2 on amazon....with CDs they were about $22.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,481 Mod ✭✭✭✭dory

One thing you need to be careful of is looking for a 'Gaelic' book/tape/software.

Gaelic is the language family, and there at least 3 surviving languages in that family. If you asked for something Gaelic and got a book with Scots Gaelic it would look fairly similar at the beginning but you'd end up very confused. If it's Irish you want to learn, call it Irish. Or Irish Gaelic.

In Irish, it's Gaeilge (gay-il-ga). Don't let that confuse you!

As for Rosetta Stone, I don't rate it myself. It's very expensive for what you get. Personally I like Pimsleur. But everyone learns differently.

I don't know where you live but I've had a few students from the US who had regular Irish meetings there. One of my colleagues when teaching Irish was from New York.

Good luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,905 ✭✭✭Aard

As said above, I'd be wary of anything claiming to teach "Gaelic".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 941 ✭✭✭An gal gréine

'[/QUOTE

Fwin-sheh

I'm also making the assumption that Gaeilge is the correct spelling...?

more like

Foinse - fwin-shah

• Registered Users Posts: 2,842 ✭✭✭Micilin Muc

Crosáidí wrote: »
    more like

Foinse - fwin-shah

Definitely not fwin-shah, it's fwin-sheh.

I've met a lot of people called Aoife who think their name is pronounced Ee-fah when it should be Ee-feh.

written phonetics are a rough guide, i know how to pronounce the word, i just didnt want to write -sheh and the OP pronounce it "she"

sheh like shed....shah like spa?

I know some sounds in English aren't duplicated, I tend to learn the vowel sounds first in a foreign language but this is a challenge.

OK, a friend of mine is asking a friend of his to help me...hopefully they have the patience of a saint...

Advertisement