Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is there File Version Control in Microsoft Excel?

Options
  • 10-11-2010 11:19pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 23

Hi

Just wondering if there is a File 'Version' Control function in Microsoft Excel? Perhaps in the Excel 2007 or Excel 2010 version. I have the Office 2003 suite and I cant find it there.

I work as a Quality Manager and I regularly re-issue or revise hundreds of internal documents which are either in word or excel. What I do in Word is I use the File Version Control Function so I can save the old file behind the revised one so that I can always revert back if I want to review old versions. THis is a great function, but I dont think it is in excel? I do use Open Office Calc, the equivalent of excel and it seems to have this function, but I would like to know if any of the newer excel software has this ability.

See attached screenshots of what I am talking about in Word and Open Office Calc.

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 1,334 Mod ✭✭✭✭croo

Would you not be better asking this of Microsoft support rather than an open source forum?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,807 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Excel is closed source so none of us can every say it doesn't have file version control somewhere

Previous versions of excel have had flight simulators and other games hidden inside them

it would be funny if it wasn't a mission critical application for many businesses and you could be sure that Mossad / KGB / Scientology / NSA / Walmart also hadn't also inserted their own code by inserting an agent or bribing a programmer.

Back in the 80's Vax VMS used to provide file version control at the operating system level. Microsoft head hunted the developers to work on the up coming Windows NT which is the direct ancestor of Windows 7. Microsoft didn't impliment the file version attribute. :mad::mad::mad:

Advertisement