Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

mechanic in Cork?

Options
  • 10-11-2010 11:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭

Hi there,

I know there has been some threads about bike shops in Cork in general, but none really dealt with mechanics. So, do you have recommendations on who's the best (well, at least good) bike mechanic in Cork? I'll even be more specific: where would I find a good wheel builder?

Thanks for your suggestions.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,565 ✭✭✭thebouldwhacker

The only 'balls to bone' bike mechanic I know of is Robbie in Rohar. He was based in Barrack street but I think he's moved to the shop in Carrig, also he is more into mtb and dh than road bikes.
    I reckon give them a shout and if he doesn't do it he probably knows who does.

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭sham2

Heard about this from a buddy. Mobile bike servicing and repairs in Cork. Haven't tried it and have no affiliations but might be worth having a look. It's a startup as far as I'm aware. Best of luck to him.

http://www.corkbicycleservices.ie/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭Funkyzeit

sham2 wrote: »
    Heard about this from a buddy. Mobile bike servicing and repairs in Cork. Haven't tried it and have no affiliations but might be worth having a look. It's a startup as far as I'm aware. Best of luck to him.

http://www.corkbicycleservices.ie/

Best of luck is right - they seem pretty reasonable charges too.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,565 ✭✭✭thebouldwhacker

Am I reading this right?
    Preventive Maintenance or Basic Tune-Up Package (€50) *
    Recommended Interval: Every 6 months (or every 1600 Km miles) or before major RIDES (charity rides / sportives )
    Include the following:
    • Inspect complete bike for signs of wear : Inspect tyres , brake blocks , chains, chain rings, cassettes ( freewheels) , wheel hubs, head sets, brake cables , drive train ,tyres etc … and recommend parts to be replaced.
    Then we
    • Adjust the brakes
    • Adjust shifting
    • Adjust headset
    • Adjust hubs
    • True front and rear wheels
    • Lubricating cables and housing as necessary
    • Wipe down of the frame, and fork
    • Drive train cleaning
    • Tighten all bolts and nuts
    • Test ride for shifting and braking performance, as well as noises
    • Wash and wax bicycle

The whole thing for €50 or just the this bit?
    Inspect complete bike for signs of wear : Inspect tyres , brake blocks , chains, chain rings, cassettes ( freewheels) , wheel hubs, head sets, brake cables , drive train ,tyres etc … and recommend parts to be replaced.

If its €50 for the lot thats a pretty good offer alright...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 573 ✭✭✭el Bastardo

More like 50 euro for an inspection without doing much, if any, work. Looking at their site it's about 10 or 20 euro for a single job.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭enas

Hi,

Thanks for your replies. Yes I've heard too of the guys at http://www.corkbicycleservices.ie/ But I don't feel like trying out myself, I'll wait for reports :)

Any other experience?

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭Phil2me

I know the guy in question & I can assure you, his work is of the highest standard, his quality and integrity are 2nd to none.
    I also think the rates are very reasonable for what he is offering.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭on_the_nickel

Phil2me wrote: »
    I know the guy in question & I can assure you, his work is of the highest standard, his quality and integrity are 2nd to none.
    I also think the rates are very reasonable for what he is offering.

Where is he based?

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭Phil2me

Rochestown

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭karlmyson

I know him as well and be assured nobody will look after your bike as well as Micheál. He's a real bike enthusiast and a professionally qualified bike mechanic (not to mention one heck of a sprinter)! Give him a try, you will not be disappointed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,928 ✭✭✭cantalach

I discovered a broken spoke on my mountain bike last night when lubing up the chain. The wheel was gone well out of true as a result (discs rubbing) and I need the damned thing for an outing to the Nagles tomorrow. So I thought I'd give Cork Bicycle Services a try out and rang them first thing this morning. Very nice guy. He called around to my house within the hour and texted an hour later to say that it was sorted. He's just dropped it off to me now. I haven't ridden it yet but it is bang on true. What a service!

• Registered Users Posts: 297 ✭✭redmaxi

I spoke to Gerry Dwayer about a good wheel builder in Cork before, he doesn't do it anymore and reckoned there wasn't anybody of note at it - for the high end stuff anyway. I think he said 'Humphries' in Finglas were very good ?
    I know Micheal from 'corkbicycleservices' as well and he is a real top man.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭ROK ON

I got Cork Bicycle Services to drive over to Kerry to do some major repairs and fix a new chainset to my bike.

Declaration here - I know this guy from doing some cycling with him in the past year. However I have no connection with the business.
    Its a great set up with a mobile bike repair shop in a large van.
    Great job, some useful tips and a pretty impressive price.

I would recommend Michael Corkery and his new business to anyone in the South Munster area that needs bike work done.

A mobile bike repair business is a great idea, surprised there isnt one in Dublin.

Advertisement