Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

High Cholestral

Options
  • 10-11-2010 8:56pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 19

Hi I am looking for some advice as i am just freaked out at the moment.

I went for routine blood test 4 months ago and was told i had cholestral reading of 7.9 just got my recent results and its still at 7.5.

I am only 32 weigh 10 stone.

I have 5 small children and worry i am at heart atttack stage has anyone heard of higher levels.

I donot want to go onto medication and would like to do it by diet as i must have done something right as it came down a little in 4 months

Thanks for advice guys :D:)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,073 ✭✭✭sam34

ask your gp for advice and a referral to a dietician

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 luckyirish

sam34 wrote: »
    ask your gp for advice and a referral to a dietician

I have seeked advice but do not want to go onto medication as some really awful side effects.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Bigcheeze

luckyirish wrote: »
    I have seeked advice but do not want to go onto medication as some really awful side effects.

I know people your age on Cholesterol medication who don't report bad side effects. If you need the medication, it is the lesser of two evils to take it.

Bigcheeze wrote: »
    I know people your age on Cholesterol medication who don't report bad side effects. If you need the medication, it is the lesser of two evils to take it.

Yes i suppose your right i would rather that than be dead at forty its just my gp put a bit of fear in me that all.
    And thought with a bit longer on the diet i may be able to do it myself ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭scotchy

Tested 7.9 for my Cholesterol level three years ago. Age 45, 105 Kilos, 6'2".

Have been on Crestor since then. Cholesterol level was down to about 5 last Jan. I have noticed no side effects and my liver function test was normal.

💙 💛 💙 💛 💙 💛

• Advertisement

scotchy wrote: »
    Tested 7.9 for my Cholesterol level three years ago. Age 45, 105 Kilos, 6'2".

Have been on Crestor since then. Cholesterol level was down to about 5 last Jan. I have noticed no side effects and my liver function test was normal.

thats good scotchy was yours dietry or hereditary may i ask

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Bigcheeze

Yes i suppose your right i would rather that than be dead at forty its just my gp put a bit of fear in me that all.
    And thought with a bit longer on the diet i may be able to do it myself ;)

Presumably there's a possibility that meds can be reduced or eliminated down the road if you work on diet in parallel ?

Bigcheeze wrote: »
    Presumably there's a possibility that meds can be reduced or eliminated down the road if you work on diet in parallel ?

Yes i pressume so i will give it ago and see how it goes,;););) just didnt fancy taking a med for the rest of my life as read once your on them its a lifetime thing, maybe not if i do diet too.

thats good scotchy was yours dietry or hereditary may i ask

Good question. There is history in my family, my aunt claims she was as high as 9, other relations are high too (my folks died young so don't know about them). But I Don't lead the healthiest life style in the world either.

When I first discovered I had high Cholesterol (7.9), my doctor had me change my lifestyle for a year before he put me on medication. I improved my diet and stopped eating crap, took up cycling including cycle to work about 90% of the time and going out for spins 2 or 3 times a week. After a year of this I was checked again and wait for it, I was at 7.8. I was gutted. My doctor put me on the crestor straight away. After being on the Crestor for a year I dropped down to 5.2, that was last Jan.

My work hours have changed in the last few months so I havn't being getting any exercise, and also, I've slipped back into my un healthy diet and have put on some weight. My yearly check-up is due in Jan and Im not looking forward to it.:rolleyes:

💙 💛 💙 💛 💙 💛

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

salmon
    tuna
    mackeal
    brocolli
    collyflower
    spinach
    pumpkinseeds
    oatmeal
    flaxseed
    blueberries
    apples
    plant steriods
    benicol
    garlic
    wheatgrass
    oatcake
    linseed
    greentea
    soya

no eating out
    extra exercise
    no alochol
    no smokes
    if u do this and stay within diet you will be down to 5 within 6 weeks...

• Advertisement

salmon
    tuna
    mackeal
    brocolli
    collyflower
    spinach
    pumpkinseeds
    oatmeal
    flaxseed
    blueberries
    apples
    plant steriods
    benicol
    garlic
    wheatgrass
    oatcake
    linseed
    greentea
    soya

no eating out
    extra exercise
    no alochol
    no smokes
    if u do this and stay within diet you will be down to 5 within 6 weeks...

I did 90% of that for a year (didn't cut down on alcohol though:o), see my post above. Spent a fortune on Benicols, Flora pro-actives etc. Im afraid its not that easy.

💙 💛 💙 💛 💙 💛

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,073 ✭✭✭sam34

i also suggested you ask for a dietician referral

sam34 wrote: »
    i also suggested you ask for a dietician referral

Yes i have a dietician referral for Jan 11.So hopefully that will help too.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,141 ✭✭✭colrow

I've been taking Crestor for about 3 years now, I think my chlorestrol was about 8 when I started taking it, now my latest Chlorestrol is 2.9

• Registered Users Posts: 9,900 ✭✭✭InTheTrees

I'm 48.

About 18 months ago I had a medical and was horrified to find I was at high risk. I was adamant about not going on some long term medication (statins), I wanted to fix it as naturally as I could.

My doctor put me on a massive dose of Vitamin B3. 1500mgs a day. Which lowers LDL. In 6 months it was down to the normal range.

My HDL too a year longer to raise and I had to go on a huge VitaminD course ass weell. 50,000 IU's once a week for three months. (I should add those doses are under a doctors supervision, I was having blood tests every three months. You dont take those kind of quantities with a doc's supervision.)

And it worked. HDL shot up and is now normal. ALl my numbers are now normal.

DIet and exercise are also vital. I cut down on carbs, made sure I ate all the cholesterol beneficial foods (as posted by candle lady). I also took up running and am up to a 5k every two days.

Everyones different of course, but it can be done naturally.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 6,854 Mod ✭✭✭✭mp22

Long term meds are not so bad,on lipostat for 7 years down from 10.8 to 4.odd.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 6,854 Mod ✭✭✭✭mp22

InTheTrees wrote: »
    When you say "Not so bad" what exactly do you mean? Have you googled it all;

To be honest if i was to look up the side effects of the 7 pills i take every day I would crack up.I am at the stage where some of the pills i take are to combat the side effects of others.
    I suppose the main point here is to get your cholesterol down to a safe level by whatever means possible.the results of not doing so are well, painful to say the least.

mp22 wrote: »
    I suppose the main point here is to get your cholesterol down to a safe level by whatever means possible.the results of not doing so are well, painful to say the least.

Thats the main thing, and of course those drugs have their place.

Advertisement