Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

please help, swollen legs

Options
  • 10-11-2010 7:20pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 28

Hi everyone, went out to see my guy this evening, and I'm worried that his legs from his fetlocks to midway up his cannons seem a little puffy. They don't feel hot, he's not noticably lame but it's hard to judge in the growing dark, and he doesn't mind me touching them. He lives out, the only thing thats changed for him recently is that I've put a rug on him, and with the bad weather his field is a bit wet. He's not off his food or anything, any advice would be much appreciated, I'm worrying! Thanks :o
    Also, he's seven, an Arab, getting mainly hay and a bit of cool and cooked.

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,338 Mod ✭✭✭✭convert

The swelling could be due to the hard feed or the hay, but if you're worried it's best to contact your vet. If nothing else, it will put your mind at ease.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,271 ✭✭✭✭fits

Is it in all his legs? Or just his fronts/ hinds. Or just one leg?

Is it around any joints or just up the cannon bone. Is the area around his tendons swollen?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 rosiejosie

Its in all four, seems worse on his right side, around his fetlocks extending up the leg a bit, yes his tendons seem thicker... any ideas? I was thinking could it be if he hasn't been moving around as much during the day if he's warm in his rug and if the field is wet in places? Or is it possible it's some kind of mud-fever type reaction to the wet?

We can't give medical (or veterinary) advice on the forum, but if you are worried I would contact your vet and discuss it with them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 rosiejosie

Of course I will call my vet tomorrow if it worse or unchanged, it was already nearly dark and my vets office was closed by the time I got out to him this evening, I was just looking for suggestions as to what could be causing the swelling.

• Advertisement

sorry - I think my post reads a little short, it wasn't entirely directed at you. It was also for other posters, too...

There's lots it could be, but usually when all 4 legs swell it's down to something like a change in diet or conditions rather than an injury. For example, when I bring my horse in after the summer, his legs will swell up for the first while after being back in the stable. Sometimes horses' legs will swell up with hay (esp. if 'new' or 'fresh' hay) or when out on grass. Though, if your horse isn't moving around as much as usual, his legs could swell up, too. Or he could have galloped and they swelled up, though that's usually associated more with hard ground.

Have all legs swelled up to the same extent? I know you mentioned that his right side seems worse, but are they much more swollen than the others? You could have a look at him again in the morning (it'll probably be easier given that it should be a bit brighter) and see what you think... Has he eaten that feed/hay before?

Advertisement