Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"Best" brands of cheap costing champagne?

Options
  • 10-11-2010 6:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,912 ✭✭✭

Hey folks, with Christmas coming up we're looking around for some nice tasting cheap champagne..

Want to stick with champagne rather than cava as there are a couple of kind of special occasions around this time as well.

Anyone have any suggestions?

Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭Technocentral

I found Tescos own Brand (esp. their Finest one) to be as nice or nicer than more expensive well known brands, in blind tasting tests it often comes ahead of them too:

http://business.scotsman.com/fooddrinkagriculture/Tesco-tastes-success-as-its.2659281.jp

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 DermotMW

As long as you're willing to buy in ROI rather than move afield I would recommend O'Brien's for their excellent Beaumont des Crayeres Champagne - usually about €27 per bottle and a very god fizz as well.

If you're looking for less expensive see if any of your local retailers sells any Chilean fizz - they're usually really tasty but without the depth and style of Champagne.

Dermot

• Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭huskerdu

I second both the previous posts.

Both the Tesco Finest and the Beaumont des Crayeres in O'Briens are good value.

If only I could afford Veuve Clicquot. Sigh

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭Dave_Kilkenny

huskerdu wrote: »
    I second both the previous posts.

Both the Tesco Finest and the Beaumont des Crayeres in O'Briens are good value.

If only I could afford Veuve Clicquot. Sigh

Then again if its a special occasion, do you really want to be seen serving "Tesco's Finest" ?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭Technocentral

In my case yes, but then again I'm not a total snob.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 682 ✭✭✭IrishWhiskeyCha

Tesco currently have a Champagne called Andre Carpentier Champagne 75Cl at half price €19.99.

Not a champagne expert but it is not half bad at all and just to give you spomething to measure against we easily prefered it against Tattinger which is €49.99 a bottle. Of course a good price often makes a product seem to taste better but if it's cheap and nasty you'll know straight away which it is not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 77 ✭✭Hayzooz

Then again if its a special occasion, do you really want to be seen serving "Tesco's Finest" ?

:rolleyes:

The Tesco Finest Champagne does extrememely well in blind tastings.

Its up to you if taste or label is more important.

I love champagne and its a luxury that I cant afford very often. I know that
    I am lucky to be able to afford it as a once a year luxury, when you look at how the recession has hit some people.

Taste wins it for me every time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,204 ✭✭✭FoxT

Jacob's creek do a presentable one for about eu15 or so. It is not as yeasty/biscuity as a good champagne & the label is in english - but good value all the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 705 ✭✭✭Ilovelucy

Prosecco - Non?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭Dave_Kilkenny

I was thinking wedding as the special event in my head,
    and since I've never seen a bottle of this champagne, so I assumed it would have similar packaging to other tesco products such as,

tesco-value-beans.jpg

I was thinking wedding as the special event in my head,
    and since I've never seen a bottle of this champagne, so I assumed it would have similar packaging to other tesco products such as,

tesco-value-beans.jpg

Label is much the same as the label on most cheap Champagne.

Again, is the taste and quality is good for the price, I'm no snob about the packaging.

• Registered Users Posts: 46 sourgrapes

The Champers outfit called "Chandon" make a good bottle of bubbly. However, it's from Australia, but it looks and tastes like a champer - most good wine shops will do it.

One point of note is that cheap champagne can be quite acidic. Prosecco hits the spot, with some good ones from €10 upwards.

Lar

• Registered Users Posts: 42 squidgy10

This stuff is really good. Bought it for my wedding to a French girl and all her family really liked it.

http://www.obrienswine.ie/Champagne---Sparkling/Beaumont-des-Crayeres-Grande-Reserve-NV-Champagne/22442/

Advertisement