Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Classic UK Garage tunes (1997-2001 you may have missed out on

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭cheesemaker

Don't get me started

• Closed Accounts Posts: 250 ✭✭YOP1992

trust executive steve to resurrect the classics :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,672 ✭✭✭seannash

Double 99-RIP Groove is still savage

Tim Deluxe is behind it i believe

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

seannash wrote: »

Yeah great track, but it'd be quite different to the ones above. More UK Garage on a House tip, rather than 2 Step?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭Android 666

I thought it sucked monkey's balls back then and I still do. The Horsepower, Groove Chronicles and El B stuff is great though. Cheers Steve

• Advertisement

BaZmO* wrote: »
    Yeah great track, but it'd be quite different to the ones above. More UK Garage on a House tip, rather than 2 Step?
    Thought that myself,Kinda similar to armand van heldens remix of spin spin sugar but it was called a garage remix also.

Guess it was the buzz word at the time

Thought that myself,Kinda similar to armand van heldens remix of spin spin sugar but it was called a garage remix also.

Guess it was the buzz word at the time
    Yeah have that track, which I loved at the time. I remember it being very "in vogue" to have that garage type break down when the extended drawn out vocals in house tracks.

Am I right in saying 2 Step? Was that term coined to differentiate original UK Garage, like the ones that Steve posted, from the housier types?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭jonnny68

Some UK Garage tracks were really good, basically just house music with the bassline pumped up but i draw the line with this 2 step nonsense which subsequently followed,went to 1 or 2 UK Garage clubs around 98/99 in London but full of rude boys on crack and drinking Moet thinking they are the dogs wearing fake Versace and Moschino..shame as the music was good pity bout the crowd!!!

Yeah have that track, which I loved at the time. I remember it being very "in vogue" to have that garage type break down when the extended drawn out vocals in house tracks.

Am I right in saying 2 Step? Was that term coined to differentiate original UK Garage, like the ones that Steve posted, from the housier types?

It was called Speed Garage

Could be,I wouldnt be too sure.
    Closest i got to garage back then was MJ Cole-Sincere ,Dj Luck and MC Neat or The Artful Dodger ha ha ha:o

In the US garage tended to mean a more housier type of music alright

• Advertisement

It was called Speed Garage
    Remember that term alright, although I'm starting to confuse myself now as to which was which.

Closest i got to garage back then was MJ Cole-Sincere ,Dj Luck and MC Neat or The Artful Dodger ha ha ha:o
    Liked those too. :o :pac:

I'm old enough to remember US Garage and then the confusion when UK Garage came out. Sound like my dad now talking about Original R & B compared to what it is now.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,401 ✭✭✭jtsuited

I own a MJ Cole record. but I only got it for the dub. that is all.

jtsuited wrote: »

Yeah but you've only got about 12 records on vinyl. Noob!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,373 ✭✭✭Executive Steve

Potted history / taxonomy:::

Basically "Garage" = US Vocal house - from the famous "Paradise Garage" club

Just as Hardcore and Jungle were peaking, and changing into D&B, vocal US House started to take off in a big way among affluent "urban" Londoners.

Next thing London did what London always does to music - speeds it up, adds sub bass and adds MC's... early names for this were (and please don't laugh) "+8", "Raggage" "Speed Garage" and then eventually "UK Garage"

"2-step" garage is to differentiate tunes that basically did away with the kickdrums that you still find in tunes like "RIP Groove" and all those Armand Van Helden bits, as well as tunes like this classic from 1996:

Then you had what people called "Breakstep" which was a rougher strand of 2-step; Zinc and a lot of the True Playaz crew were knocking this stuff out under a variety of aliases:

After about 2002 or so when the spotlight started to fade from the whole Garage thing and likes of So Solid had all gone off on a UK Urban / RnB / ip Hop tangent the heads who were still left in the scene started to strip things way back, making darker deeper garage tunes, at this point the "dub" or vocal-free side of a release became the side that was most likely to get (pirate radio) airplay as well as all the rewinds in the clubs; hence "dubstep".

• Registered Users Posts: 3,373 ✭✭✭Executive Steve

No shame in owning an MJ Cole record, amazing producer...

I was always partial to this track, although it probably wasn't one of his "cooler" tracks. Ladies loved it though. :cool: :)

No shame in owning an MJ Cole record, amazing producer...
    oh agreed but it's that new one he did with Wiley with a barrage of lyrics about drops and how about how Mr. Wiley's lyrics are top notch.

And actually it's not the dub that I like (although it is pretty nice), it's the 'angel riddim'.
    Jesus, I bought a record for the riddim. I'll be puttin in dreadlocks and out throwing bricks at cops before you know it.

Jesus, I bought a record for the riddim. I'll be puttin in dreadlocks and out throwing bricks at cops before you know it.

wigga.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭jonnny68

Indeed MJ Cole is a very talented producer.

Speed Garage as i said was alright there was some really good tunage however it wouldn't have a patch on REAL Garage AKA US Garage.

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭Paul1979

i agree

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ck2H0bany1g

my favorite "garage" track ever-Arnold Jarvis "Take Some Time"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭FensterDJ

here's some brand new MJ Cole, very surprised they are giving this away for nada

Shy FX - Raver (feat. Kano, Donae'o Roses Gabor) (MJ Cole Remix)

http://fensterdj.posterous.com/shy-fx-raver-mj-cole-mix-free-tune

Holy Moley,
    I can't get enough of Horsepower Productions - those guys are awesome!

bside to that is the one
    Horsepower = Dons.
    Two albums are gold.

New one out this month on Tempa.

Check out a preview on Benji B's show.

HORSEPOWER PRODUCTIONS SPECIAL GUESTS
    Horsepower Productions — Rain – Tempa
    TGS — On The Run (Horsepower remix) – Tempa
    Horsepower Productions — Let’s Dance – Tempa
    Horsepower Productions — Mexican Slayride – Tempa
    Horsepower Productions — Lee Perry Exercising – Tempa
    Horsepower Productions — Water – Tempa
    Cybotron — Clear – Fantasy
    Horsepower Productions — Open Up Your Eyes (Classic Deluxe) – Tempa
    Horsepower Productions — Poison Wine – Tempa

Tempa's an absolutely top notch label. only recently got into them but there's a real consistency there.

Founding label and club night.

The All-Stars CDs/EPs are worth picking up.
    Most of the mixes are floating about online.

The Ramadanman disc from the last one would be most relvent to this thread anyway.
    Kode9 was the best one

• Closed Accounts Posts: 258 ✭✭Scambuster

When you are talking classic UK garage you need to bring out the pop classics.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,933 ✭✭✭Logical Fallacy

A pretty awesome blend of vibes on this with a strong central garage theme.

Scambuster wrote: »
    When you are talking classic UK garage you need to bring out the pop classics.

Jesus and there was me sayin the other day how surprising it was that nobody had ever sampled/copied the opening chords of Erik Satie's Gymnopedie.

Well that's put me in my place I can tells ya!

• Advertisement

The best thing about garage and infact house in those days was it didn't have to water itself down to be number one. pure ****e now

Advertisement