Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BOI get authorisation to operate as a Bank from the UK Financial Services Authority

Options
  • 10-11-2010 1:11pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭

BANK OF IRELAND / ICS Building Society are and get
    their “authorisation” from and in the UK to operate as a Bank from
    the UK Financial Services Authority. http://www.fsa.gov.uk

I just came across this today in a ebook which some guy has written about him and his dealings with the bank of ireland.
    How can the above be true?Is the BOI and english company or what?
    Does the above mean that they only authorize it to be a bank in the uk or Ireland or both?
    I'm genuinely interested and have no idea so no smart ass comments or asking for evidence....

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,095 ✭✭✭ANXIOUS

Im pretty sure this is because boi run the post office bank, in the uk. However if you want a conspiracy i heard they are planning on robbing all our money and just starting fresh in the uk.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

Probably because they operate in the UK also...
    International Operations

The bank is headquartered in Dublin, and has operations throughout the Republic of Ireland. It also operates in the United Kingdom, particularly Northern Ireland, where it prints its own banknotes in Pounds Sterling (see section on banknotes below). In Great Britain, the bank expanded largely through the takeover of the Bristol and West Building Society in 1996. On 21 September 2005 the Bristol and West retail and contact centre network was sold to Britannia Building Society. Bank of Ireland has still retained the right to use the Bristol & West name to sell Mortgages. Bank of Ireland also provides financial services for the British Post Office throughout the UK.

They are also authorised by the Irish Financial Regulator for their operations in this country.

• Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭Boo Radley

AIB operate in the same fashion in NI under the name of First Trust and Britain as AIB GB (or used to, not sure about now). Nothing weird going on.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,067 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

I don't know much about the corporate side of banking, but if; through some loophole, an Irish bank could operate under British regulation, it'd be a hell of a lot easier than all banks having to dance to the beat of a single drum.

Advertisement