Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best winter gloves on the market

Options
  • 10-11-2010 12:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭

Looking to invest in a quality pair of gloves for the winter as it really hit home last few days. Temps gone down a lot and ride to work early. Have a pair of Specialized gloves (http://www.buzzillions.com/reviews/men-specialized-bg-deflect-gloves-2633402-reviews) which are fine for a cold summer/autumn day but nowhere near good enough for winter.

I like a relatively light fit, nothing too thick but at the same time want to be nice and warm. Have been to a few bike shops and haven't found anything that fits like a glove (excuse the pun). They're either too thick or too light. I think I was most impressed by the high end gloves in Wheelworx - think they were assos or altura. Might give a run into Cycleways again as I'm off work today

Anyone recommend something wind and waterproof?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,221 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

I find these pretty good. BUT on a cold day like today, they take forever to "heat up". But once you get over that, then there pretty good. I wear a cheap pair of wool gloves inside these which really helps with the "heating up" bit.

I do find however, that if they get wet, boy do they SMELL!. If it rains, you won't get two consecutive wears out of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭paddyduc

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=55274

These ones are better in the wet. Aqua zero material is magic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

Based on a recommendation from a thread elsewhere in this forum, I sprung for a pair of BBB Aquashield gloves and thus far I've been quite impressed by their warmth and waterproofness - also unlike the other gloves I have, they still allow for a significant amount of dexterity.

This morning I decided to add a merino glove-liner to the mix and found them uncomfortably warm.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,998 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

Does anyone think these North Face E-Tip gloves would be worth getting? Have a voucher for Arnotts and they are about €30. The E-Tip thing lets you use touch screen devices, its a bit of gimmick but the gloves themselves seemed to be good quality when I tried them on?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,122 ✭✭✭daragh_

Does anyone think these North Face E-Tip gloves would be worth getting? Have a voucher for Arnotts and they are about €30. The E-Tip thing lets you use touch screen devices, its a bit of gimmick but the gloves themselves seemed to be good quality when I tried them on?

Was looking at these in the Great Outdoors just now. They seem nice and light but they aren't waterproof so I didn't bother.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,200 ✭✭✭manwithaplan

I have a pair of Specialized Deflects also and, as you say, they don't get you past Autumn. I bought a cheap enough pair of liners (I think the brand is Manzanilla) from an outdoor shop on Abbey Street and the lined gloves are doing the trick at the moment. I wouldn't be that confident that they will still be OK when it gets seriously cold but it's a cheap enough solution for now. If you do decide to try this, bring your gloves with you to the liners may not fit. Mine are a fairly tight squeeze.

• Registered Users Posts: 690 ✭✭✭captain P

Anyone ever tried these in their gloves?

My hands were killing me by the time I got to work today, that's with 2 pairs of gloves on (one decent, one Penneys) :eek:. Thought these might be of some help!
    About €30 on ebay for 40 pairs.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

I used these under my Aldi gloves this morning. Nice and warm.

I also have a pair of knitted glove liners from the camping shop off Capel St which I used last year. A bit bulkier than the silk ones but same effect.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,187 ✭✭✭Junior

I've been using a pair of these for two years and I've found them fantastic, light enough but thermal enough to keep me warm -they aren't waterproof however

Nike Gloves

• Registered Users Posts: 11,748 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

Jawgap wrote: »
    Based on a recommendation from a thread elsewhere in this forum, I sprung for a pair of BBB Aquashield gloves and thus far I've been quite impressed by their warmth and waterproofness - also unlike the other gloves I have, they still allow for a significant amount of dexterity.
    Me too. Very good they are too.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

I love my BBB aquashields. Had them last year and got another pair for this year.

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

• Registered Users Posts: 415 ✭✭100Suns

Sealskinz products are very good. 53 Degrees North stock them at the same price as the big store websites-Wiggle etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭pprendeville

Ended up buying a pair of Sportful Windstoppers in The Bike Hut in Howth. Thought they would do but unfortunately they don't in these cold mornings. So my search continues. Will review suggestions but like to have dexterity and warmth.

• Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭biomed32

bought these a couple weeks back: http://www.underarmour.com/shop/uk/en/mens/accessories/gloves/liners/pid1006611-UA-Fleece-Glove/1006611-001 have found them very good so far. they are thin enough to give full mobility for bike controls and the fleece on the top gives a wind proof factor. Ill let you know how they get on with these really cold days although as a warning they are not waterproof

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭bcmf

biomed; did you buy them online or in the flesh....

• Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭biomed32

in the flesh BCMF, got them in Elverys in the blanchardstown center, cost 20 euro but flashed my student card and the price dropped 2 euro or so

• Registered Users Posts: 7,276 ✭✭✭kenmc

I'm a huge fan of my Pearl Izumi Barrier Lobster which I got from Probikekit last year, but I don't think they have them still.
    They keep 2 fingers together to maintain warmth, and I find they work, I usually get cold fingers otherwise. For really really thermal conditions I add a pair of these, and they're very handy if you need to do something outside the gloves e.g. change a puncture, your hands stay warm

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭alcyst

Good advice is to dress for the temperature and not about getting wet. With warm gloves you can build up a fair bit of perspiration in a cycle, so waterproof can be pointless. I've had some success buying a set of gloves a bit loose and wearing glove liners inside.

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭lamai

Use Surfing Gloves

• Registered Users Posts: 662 ✭✭✭fran oconnor

http://www.getprice.com.au/ZeroRh-Nordic-Gloves-ICX9021-Bicycle-Cycling-Winter-Gpnc_355--49419113.htm

got myself a pait of these babys the other day over in wheelworx,have not had a chance to wear them out cycling yet but the feel very good.think i got them for 47 euro..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

I have a pair of leather army gloves that I picked up in a surplus store in town, cheap and good and they breathe.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Oide2010

Did you buy these in the end?

Can anyone tell me where to find these in Dublin? Or something similar for use with the IPhone? Last minute Christmas present and with the weather I can't rely on online deliveries at this stage!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 303 ✭✭paddymacsporran

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 Vaaltron

07Lapierre wrote: »
    I find these pretty good.

I own these also they are very good.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,998 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

Oide2010 wrote: »
    Did you buy these in the end?

Can anyone tell me where to find these in Dublin? Or something similar for use with the IPhone? Last minute Christmas present and with the weather I can't rely on online deliveries at this stage!

Yeah I got them, they are not great to be honest. Not very warm at all but they are good for using touch screen devices.

• Registered Users Posts: 388 ✭✭El.duderino

Disregard ALL prior posts.:pac: These are the only gloves that have kept my hands warm in recent weather. 3 hours today and hands where warm. None to very little wind chill.

Advertisement