Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

legals for releasing non profit cover song

Options
  • 09-11-2010 11:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,563 ✭✭✭

hi, my band is thinking of recording and releasing a non profit cover song by a famous band. just wondering if anyone knows what the legal requirements would be as i intend to get radio play & put a video for it on youtube...

ive heard you need a mechanical licence but im not sure

any advice appreciate :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭off.the.walls

As long as its not being used for profit yer grand.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,277 ✭✭✭DamagedTrax

As long as its not being used for profit yer grand.

you still need permission if you plan to release it. non-profit or not.

differant story if its a handful of cds to throw out at a gig but an actual release would need permission.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,892 ✭✭✭madtheory

Phone IMRO they will advise.

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭Bluebirdstudios

Get in touch with their(original band) publisher - you'll be directed from there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,563 ✭✭✭stateofflux

thanks for the advice....much appreciated :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 801 ✭✭✭PMI

IMRO have the form they will send you....

Fill it out including isrc code and original music licence holder ie: EMI, etc..

You are allowed to have upto 400 cd's as promo and allowed to sell digitally and there will be a charge of 19 euro should you get clearance.

All royalties will go to the original writer.

Upon recieving the money then you have full rights....if its a spoof or a mess about they wont give you clearance so keep all that in mind.

very simple and takes 3 weeks to get to the end of it, I know just done it for a xmas release ;)

Advertisement