Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Trouble with the bridle!

Options
  • 09-11-2010 9:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭

Hey any help would be very appreciated!
    We got a fantastic mare brought to us a few days ago, very nice mare, great manners and well behaved. one problem... seriously ear shy!
    Iv managed to desenitize her to touching her right ear, but not a chance with her left her. Appartently she had a ear infection about a ear ago and since her treatment she has got ear shy. All this we can deal with, but the main problem is with the bridle...she accepts the bit no problem but when you go to put the head peice on she gets very uspet. can take up to 30 mins to get it on. any suggestions?
    She had been given the all clear after her ear infection by a vet so we know it hasnt been festuring. Its sad, cause she is a lovely mare who really enjoys being ridden, and when you get the bridle on she is grand.
    Any help wud be great:)

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,338 Mod ✭✭✭✭convert

You could try just using the headpiece of the bridle without a browband so that you wouldn't have to handle her ears to the same extent. That way you could also open the cheek piece, put the headpiece over her ears without touching them, put the bit in her mouth, and then fasten the cheek piece again (whether at the bit or where it joins the headpiece). I know it's time consuming, but it may help to give the mare confidence regarding the bridle again.

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭bullylover

Thanks convert, pure genius! dont know why i didnt think of that!!
    Definitly give that a lash tomorrow and let you know how it goes:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 daiz

i had the same problem with my mare and she was 16.3 so hard to reach lol its very fustrating and i did the same as what you have been sugested with undoing the cheak piece sliding the head piece over and doinng it back up but while doing that u need to get her comforable with her ears being touched. everyday u need to brush over her neck,round her face and gradually make your way to her ears it takes time but it works! my mares 100% with the bridle now. good luck :)

• Registered Users Posts: 496 ✭✭s-cogan

have the same problem with a horse at work, he got better, but after the summer off he went back to old habits. opening the bridle is your only man for the job

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭bullylover

Hey all, tried out opening the bridle today and cherrching:D worked a treat:D
    I have her going well with her right ear, can rub it brush it even hold it, main problem is with the left ear, but she is such a lovely mare and she is coming around quickly:)
    Thanks to everyone that helped:D
    Hopefully we can get her right for her owner or find her a new one:)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,338 Mod ✭✭✭✭convert

That's great it worked. It'll probably take a while with her other ear, but at least this is a step in the right direction! Best of luck! :)

Advertisement