Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

HELP PLEASE! Car test and insurance question!

Options
  • 09-11-2010 7:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 634 ✭✭✭

My car broke down a few days ago and i have the test in two days, i want to ring my insurance comany and put it onto a friends car for the test. Can this be done? If so, will i fail for not having an insurance cert showing my name and the car reg?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,151 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Your friend can certainly add you to his/her insurance for about 30 euro. Not sure how it works if you want cover on your own policy on a different car. Give them a ring and see.

You will sign a statement saying you're covered and legally entitled to drive the vehicle you are using.

• Registered Users Posts: 634 ✭✭✭ceekay74

bump!

• Registered Users Posts: 757 ✭✭✭DriveSkill

You cant take your insurance and transfer it to another already insured car, the way it would work is your friend would add you as a named driver to their existing policy. This would be perfectly acceptable for the test.

You dont need to produce your insurance cert for the driving test. What you will need is a valid insurance disc displayed on the car and you will be asked to sign a declaration that you are insured to drive it.

• Registered Users Posts: 634 ✭✭✭ceekay74

DriveSkill wrote: »
    You cant take your insurance and transfer it to another already insured car, the way it would work is your friend would add you as a named driver to their existing policy. This would be perfectly acceptable for the test.

You dont need to produce your insurance cert for the driving test. What you will need is a valid insurance disc displayed on the car and you will be asked to sign a declaration that you are insured to drive it.

Thanks for that info. Are you sure you cant take your insurance and transfer it to another already insured car? A friend who's with Quinn insurance told me I could.

• Registered Users Posts: 757 ✭✭✭DriveSkill

ceekay74 wrote: »
    Thanks for that info. Are you sure you cant take your insurance and transfer it to another already insured car? A friend who's with Quinn insurance told me I could.

Well perhaps some insurance companies may allow it but its certainly not the norm. Most companies require you to have what is known as an 'insurable interest' in the car you are insuring. As the car belongs to your friend they should be the person insuring it, not you, as I said you can be named on their policy which means you would be fully covered. Having 2 people insure the same car is just a recipe for complications - for example if it gets stolen which insurance company should pay out ?

Best advice is go discuss with your friend and their insurance companies as nobody on here can give you exact conditions without knowing the details of the individual policies.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,151 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

ceekay74 wrote: »

If you have comprehensive insurance on your own car you can have cover on other people's cars, used with their permission.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

spurious wrote: »
    If you have comprehensive insurance on your own car you can have cover on other people's cars, used with their permission.

This is not universally true. Make sure to check your policy documents.

Advertisement