Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Connecting TV for sat channels & terrestrial tv in old farmhouse.

Options
  • 09-11-2010 4:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 29

Hey folks,

Hoping to get some advice on what would be the best option for the following :)
    My folks are in an old farmhouse, its being renovated bit by bit. The sitting room is now currently done. Prior to this the TV had your standard Irish channels but with an inside/"rabbits ears" aerial as there is no connnection on the walls for an outside aerial. As you can imagine with 1m thick walls the pic on TV3 and TG4 is brutal! So now that the sittingroom is complete my olds want to get the tv sorted out, they asked me as neither are very tech-savvy.

Priority for them is to have the Irish channels, adding in some of the standard UK ones is also nice.No need for Sky sports or movies etc.

From what I can gather, I have 3 options. (keeping in mind that there is currently no aerial connection of any type on the wall nor any outside aerial)

1.Freesat - terrestrial aerial for €179, not sure if this includes connection.
    or if our area is covered .
    Another is a combo of Irish aerial + Freesat basic for €350.
    Anyone any experience of self-installing these things??
    My dad is not tech savvy but he's a fantastic handyman,
    could sort out anything in terms of mounting, connecting etc.

2. Sky - Some sort of Sky package. Seems there is one for €38 a
    month? Seems expensive, but they will install it also. Would it
    matter that there is no terrestrial aerial already there?

3. UPC - These guys seem to be the cheapest but from what I can
    they do not install? Is that correct? It seems they send you
    equipment. It seems to me that in this case, they would need
    to have some sort of aerial connection already on the wall??

If anyone can offer any advice on what would be the best option or answer any of the above questions then that would be great! :)

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭Premier

SD1979 wrote: »
    Hey folks,

Hoping to get some advice on what would be the best option for the following :)
    My folks are in an old farmhouse, its being renovated bit by bit. The sitting room is now currently done. Prior to this the TV had your standard Irish channels but with an inside/"rabbits ears" aerial as there is no connnection on the walls for an outside aerial. As you can imagine with 1m thick walls the pic on TV3 and TG4 is brutal! So now that the sittingroom is complete my olds want to get the tv sorted out, they asked me as neither are very tech-savvy.

Priority for them is to have the Irish channels, adding in some of the standard UK ones is also nice.No need for Sky sports or movies etc.

From what I can gather, I have 3 options. (keeping in mind that there is currently no aerial connection of any type on the wall nor any outside aerial)

1.Freesat - terrestrial aerial for €179, not sure if this includes connection.
    or if our area is covered .
    Another is a combo of Irish aerial + Freesat basic for €350.
    Anyone any experience of self-installing these things??
    My dad is not tech savvy but he's a fantastic handyman,
    could sort out anything in terms of mounting, connecting etc.

2. Sky - Some sort of Sky package. Seems there is one for €38 a
    month? Seems expensive, but they will install it also. Would it
    matter that there is no terrestrial aerial already there?

3. UPC - These guys seem to be the cheapest but from what I can
    they do not install? Is that correct? It seems they send you
    equipment. It seems to me that in this case, they would need
    to have some sort of aerial connection already on the wall??

If anyone can offer any advice on what would be the best option or answer any of the above questions then that would be great! :)

Cheers
    What your location? im sure a local installer would sort it out for you, since you dont want sky sub, the FTA combined with the DTT seems the best solution, im sure a local installer will be on to you soon,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 74 ✭✭Joe7

1 metre thick walls?! (stone presumably). I'd like to see how your average Sky installer tackles those!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,113 ✭✭✭homer911

Joe7 wrote: »
    1 metre thick walls?! (stone presumably). I'd like to see how your average Sky installer tackles those!

Through the window frame I imagine..

• Registered Users Posts: 6,672 ✭✭✭flutered

you could ring upc, for 23 euro a month, the irish and other chanells are sorted, also you could ring or google for their packages, plus you could contact a local installer for his estimate.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 SD1979

Cheers lads!
    Yeah, I'd imagine near windows are the only one, stone walls indeed, 1m at all over, house is close to 200 years old. My great-great grandfather lived there! :eek:

@ satpaul - whats DTT mate? The family are in Kerry. If some local installer sees by all means pm me a quote ....

@ flutered, yeah lad, I know, could give em a call but I dont want all the selling spiel and thought it would be best to get some impartial advice on here first.....

Ye know yourselves, they'd just like to get it sorted before the Xmas.... like I said Im not sure how much the Sky/UPC installers would have coming to an old house with no aerial connections on the wall...... guess they can sort it easily enough

• Advertisement

"how much experience" that should read at the end;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,129 ✭✭✭R P McMurphy

If you get someone out to install they may very well try to go through the window frame, if your parents don't want this you could tell your dad to drill a hole through the wall himself in preparation. Is not as bad as it sounds with the right drill bit. Is bound to know someone with the right one if he doesn't himself

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

One of these will do the job if you don't want to go down the pay tv route http://www.saortv.com/shop/Digital-TV-Receivers/Combo/Edision-Argus-mini-2-in-1-IP-Combo-HD-Satellite/DTT-Receiver/prod_72.html

A basic package from Sky is €23 per month (includes ALL Irish channels).Price of box without HD is €49 plus €30 install fee.

UPC depends on coverage,some parts of Ireland can't get a signal (MMDS)-basic package about €25 per month

• Registered Users Posts: 15,505 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

Cheers lads!
    Yeah, I'd imagine near windows are the only one, stone walls indeed, 1m at all over, house is close to 200 years old. My great-great grandfather lived there! :eek:

@ satpaul - whats DTT mate? The family are in Kerry. If some local installer sees by all means pm me a quote ....

@ flutered, yeah lad, I know, could give em a call but I dont want all the selling spiel and thought it would be best to get some impartial advice on here first.....

Ye know yourselves, they'd just like to get it sorted before the Xmas.... like I said Im not sure how much the Sky/UPC installers would have coming to an old house with no aerial connections on the wall...... guess they can sort it easily enough

I'd expect the free option - external aerial & dish, is the best for your parents - no monthly charges and lots of channels. This would be a step up from their current "rabbit-ears" 4 channel reception. Many people pay subscriptions to Sky and UPC just to watch the Irish and UK channels when these channels are available without any ongoing charges other than the TV licence.

In Kerry they are probably receiving the existing channels from the Mullaghanish transmitter (the only one in the area transmitting analogue TV3).

Analogue television requires two aerials from there for good reception (VHF & UHF). Analogue television transmission switches off in approx two years (ASO). Analogue transmission will be replaced by DTT (Digital terrestrial television) which is transmitting a trial sevice at the moment - Saorview, with a full national launch next year.

The current DTT trial service is basically a full operational sevice subject to some interruption. This service will only require one aerial for Mullaghanish -UHF. A new Saorview/mpeg-4 TV or set top box will be required to receive the service. The service currently transmits 5 channels with more to come.

The satellite option - Freesat - is the best for the UK channels with its Sky-like epg and automatic channel updates. There are two types of receiver available, one type allows you to just watch TV. The other, a PVR, allows to watch and record (this receiver requires two cables from the dish).

Cheers lads!

Just give a local installer a buzz, im far from that area, someone on here will let you know, I dont know ao any in that area, BTW, it's the new service that will replace the old analouge service, rte 1 2 etc, read the forum all info here .

• Advertisement

Joe7 wrote: »

Could come in through the roof with cable, dont tell me the ceiling in 1 mtr concrete, depends , mind your footing thou , sounds like a nuclear bunker your in :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,113 ✭✭✭homer911

In a house that old you probably have a few unused chimneys - pass a cable down one of them...

:)Cheers lads

The more ye write the more I realise how much I don't know! ;)
    So if I understand correctly, the rolling out of this DTT service means I should insure that anything I get will receieve this signal.

@zerks, this Saortv box you linked, Im guessing this is just something similar to the Freesat no? I guess once they'd connect a standard aerial up outside they can get this box and recieve rte on a dig signal.

At the moment actually the folks have an old rear projection widescreen, connected with scart at the back. Would this be able to accept a digital signal? I guess its about 7-8yrs old.

@satpaul - by installer, do you mean an independent installer who will put up a terrestrial aerial or a installer ie SKY or something.... whats going rate to install an outside aerial at the mo? anyone got a link for where to find someone.....or maybe golden pages is best bet??

The roof is probably best for cabling...was up there with the old man....jaysus, some of the beams were up there since Famine times! :) Come nuclear war we'll be safe! ;)

:)Cheers lads

The more ye write the more I realise how much I don't know! ;)
    So if I understand correctly, the rolling out of this DTT service means I should insure that anything I get will receieve this signal.

@zerks, this Saortv box you linked, Im guessing this is just something similar to the Freesat no? I guess once they'd connect a standard aerial up outside they can get this box and recieve rte on a dig signal.

At the moment actually the folks have an old rear projection widescreen, connected with scart at the back. Would this be able to accept a digital signal? I guess its about 7-8yrs old.

@satpaul - by installer, do you mean an independent installer who will put up a terrestrial aerial or a installer ie SKY or something.... whats going rate to install an outside aerial at the mo? anyone got a link for where to find someone.....or maybe golden pages is best bet??

The roof is probably best for cabling...was up there with the old man....jaysus, some of the beams were up there since Famine times! :) Come nuclear war we'll be safe! ;)

yes ring a local reputable !!! satellite tv installer , i dont know any in that area, ask watty or someone, they will probably know, ;)

:)

In two years time the analogue channels via an aerial will be history. So if you were upgrading this should be taken in consideration.

The current rear projection TV will work no problem with a set top box attached but I doubt it has an integrated digital MPEG-4 decoder. TVs of that age may have an MPEG-2 decoder, the UK standard not the Irish standard.

Aye, googled there, think i found a decent enough looking guy....might give him a buzz in the morning....
    @Cush - what could be the consequent problems of not having a integrated mpeg4 decoder - sound problems on the digital signal?

Aye, googled there, think i found a decent enough looking guy....might give him a buzz in the morning....
    @Cush - what could be the consequent problems of not having a integrated mpeg4 decoder - sound problems on the digital signal?

TV with no video decoder = no digital tv - STB required
    TV with MPEG-2 decoder = DTT audio and no video - STB required
    TV with MPEG-4 decoder = DTT audio and video

Advertisement