Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cannabis cultivation

Options
  • 09-11-2010 11:41am
    Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭

What if a person was to get busted for growing 47 cannabis plants in their attic (hypothetically speaking) what sort of penalty would they be looking at?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,375 ✭✭✭kmick

That person could get up to 10 years.

...He has also been charged under Section 15A of the Misuse of Drugs Act for possessing cocaine worth over €13,000 for sale or supply, which on conviction can carry a minimum mandatory minimum sentence of 10 years.
    http://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/mhojkfqlqlau/rss2/

I would imagine that many plants could have a a value of 100k which would put one firmly in the 10 year category.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 203 ✭✭citizenerased1

Mick0 wrote: »
    (hypothetically speaking)

:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭Mick0

kmick wrote: »
    That person could get up to 10 years.

...He has also been charged under Section 15A of the Misuse of Drugs Act for possessing cocaine worth over €13,000 for sale or supply, which on conviction can carry a minimum mandatory minimum sentence of 10 years.
    http://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/mhojkfqlqlau/rss2/

I would imagine that many plants could have a a value of 100k which would put one firmly in the 10 year category.

i read the piece but we're not talking cocaine.. I suppose it would depend on what section of the misuse of drugs act one was to be charged under.

Any similar cases been highlighted recently?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,929 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

i read the piece but we're not talking cocaine.. I suppose it would depend on what section of the misuse of drugs act one was to be charged under.

Any similar cases been highlighted recently?

I did see a guy get off a prison sentence, because the the judge was convinced he wasn't dealing and it was all personal use....but 47 plants not a chance....straight to Jail..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,725 ✭✭✭charlemont

You will be treated more harshly in an Irish court for growing your own weed than being in possession of a poisonous filth drug like heroin.:mad::mad::mad::mad:

It also depends on the technology you are caught with. You could have 47 plants, but also have the technology turn that over every couple of weeks. Which would make you a decent dealer.

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭Mick0

• Registered Users Posts: 28,120 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

yeah the variation in sentencing is huge.

The prices are off the wall as well, imagine asking 8k for 40 potato plants.

It's a plant that anyone can grow it shouldn't be above the price of gold, food, water or medicine.

The prices are off the wall as well, imagine asking 8k for 40 potato plants.

It's a plant that anyone can grow it shouldn't be above the price of gold, food, water or medicine.
    weed is a high value product though..there's ounces of weed going for €350 (at least) out there ....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭Delancey

Anyone charged with cultivating 47 weed plants should pack their toothbrush when going to court.

delancey42 wrote: »
    Anyone charged with cultivating 47 weed plants should pack their toothbrush when going to court.

MickO said growing 47 plants, he didn't say cultivating(sale or supply), are they not 2 different things?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,897 ✭✭✭MagicSean

MickO said growing 47 plants, he didn't say cultivating(sale or supply), are they not 2 different things?

The quantity involved would make it for sale and supply.

k_mac wrote: »
    The quantity involved would make it for sale and supply.
    Yeah a passion for botany would not get you off a 47 plant charge!

Yeah a passion for botany would not get you off a 47 plant charge!

Yea 47's a little on the high side:)

According to Wiki, Cannabis is legal in Ireland since 2006 http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Legality_of_cannabis#Ireland

I'm off to After Hours :)

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭detective

As with any crime in relation to sentencing a lot would depend on
    1) Admissions when arrested - yes/no
    2) Early plea - guilty/not guilty
    3) Previous convictions - how many
    4) Previous similar convictions - any priors for drugs
    5) the Judge

If someone was caught with 47 plants though its hard to see them not being under pressure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭Delancey

Growing vs. Cultivating , hmmm a novel defence I daresay but common sense dictates it's a nonsense , unless someone here more learned than I disagrees........?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,482 ✭✭✭JG009

Coppers in england on a docu about this the other week siezed 50 plants and his equipment and left a note "please contact such and such police regards your cannabis".

They said "with cannabis cultivation offences we tend to let them come to us if they arent here at a time that is convenient"

Don't forget the law will assume you get 5000grams from each plant or something crazy and multiply the street value by 10.75

delancey42 wrote: »
    Growing vs. Cultivating , hmmm a novel defence I daresay but common sense dictates it's a nonsense

Since when have the law and common sense anything in common. If common sense was involved it wouldn't be illegal in the first place.

If I grow a rose plant and don't do anything with it, then it's a thing of nothing, If I grow a rose plant and start selling flowers i'm then into sale and distribution and liable to pay tax on profits.

Big difference between cultivating and growing.

I've said this here before, but making "growing and sharing" legal would be such a wonderful thing ...

• Advertisement
Advertisement