Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Beretta Sliver pigeon sporter ..too old ?

Options
  • 09-11-2010 11:20am
    Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭

Wanted to know what yere opinion would be on how safe for one and value for money would be on a 24/25 year old Beretta silver pigeon 30" sporter ?

It looks perfect except for a small scratch on the stock and a friend that been shooting for a long time says its in excellent shape, barrels etc.

Ive been offered it at 1000 euro ? I'm new to shotguns and am wary of it being so old, as I'm mainly going for clay shooting and will hopefully be using it a lot

Thanks in advance for any replies

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,959 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

If it hasnt been abused or used as a tyre lever or jack handle.It will be a fine gun.25 years old?Piffle!!;)
    If you are going to be belt and braces,ask your friend to take it to a competant gunsmith with you to examine it and give you a report on its condition.However I'd say Beretta build them to last alot longer than 25 years.Price ,maybe abit steep?Suggest you checkout some gun valueation sites and get an idea of current market value. Blue book of gun values online is the mainstay in the US/EU

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭Horse1920

Thanks for the advice Grizzly... looks to be that it will be Ok if its well maintained -- Do you rate the Silver pigeon as being a pretty good gun all round ?
    Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 4,772 ✭✭✭meathstevie

The value of a gun like that will depend mainly on condition, age is of secondary importance. If a gun like that is well looked after and no mad loads are forced through it at machine gun rates it should easily last for at least two generations of shooters.

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭bmcm71

Silver pigeon top notch. Father bought one new in 1984 and has shot thousands of rounds through it. The action is just as tight as the day he got it. I've also shot with Berettas all my life and for reliability and standard of contruction and finish couldn't recommend them highly enough. One thing though, the older guns are not proofed for 3" magnum shells. So if you plan on going after foxes stick with 2 3/4" shells. You'll see the marking on the barrel showing either 2 3/4" or 3"

Advertisement