Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

People with higher IQ's are more apt to be nocturnal night-owls.

Options
  • 09-11-2010 1:42am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭

http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/opinion/westview/smart-people-sleep-late-82486792.html
    The View from the West

Winnipeg Free Press - PRINT EDITION
    Smart people SLEEP LATE
    New research bound to re-ignite old debate about early versus late risers

Sleep is a fundamental component of animal biology. New evidence confirms that, in humans, its timing reflects intelligence. People with higher IQ's (intelligence quotients) tend to be more active nocturnally, going to bed later, whereas those with lower IQ's usually retire to bed sooner after nightfall.

The precise function of sleep is arguable. But, accumulating evidence shows that lack of sleep in humans and animals can result in obesity, high blood pressure and reduced life spans. Drowsiness impairs mental performance. For instance, 37 per cent of all motor vehicle accidents are caused by drowsy motorists, according to a University of Pennsylvania study. Even minor sleep deficiencies impact on body chemistry.

According to Juliette Faraco of Stanford University, sleep loss generates a proportionate need for "sleep rebound".

One of the most controversial and significant recent findings is the correlation in humans between the earliness/lateness of sleep preferences and intelligence.

Robert Bolizs at Semmelweist University, and his coworkers, have shown that encephalograms during sleep illustrate how sleep elements are directly related to "wakeful cognitive performance." Studies by researchers H. Aliasson and colleagues show the timing of intervals of sleep "correlates closely" with student academic achievement.

Extensive research by Satoshi Kanazawa and colleagues at the London School of Economics and Political Science have uncovered significant differences in sleep-timing preferences among people, depending on their IQ scores.

People with higher IQ's are more apt to be nocturnal night-owls. Those with lower IQ's tend to restrict their activities primarily to daytime.

People who prefer to go to bed early, and who are early-risers, demonstrate "morningness," whereas those whose sleep patterns are shifted later demonstrate "eveningness." Researchers say eveningness tends to be a characteristic of those with higher IQ's.

According to Kanazawa, ancestral humans were typically diurnal, and that a shift towards more nocturnal activities is an "evolutionarily novel preference" of the type normally found in more intelligent individuals, demonstrating "a higher level of cognitive complexity" in the practitioners.

Recent studies at the University of Bologna suggest early-risers are comparatively more conscientious people. Related studies indicate eveningness is often age-related and that eveningness usually peaks at between 17-21 years of age; thereafter morningness becomes more prevalent.

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,760 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Might be on to something there

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 47,794 Mod ✭✭✭✭cyberwolf77

Really not surprised to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

We knew this already. hence de cleberness.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

So....

the later I stay up, the cleverer I get?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 47,794 Mod ✭✭✭✭cyberwolf77

That would explain the wierd ideas i get in the middle of the night

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 21,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭entropi

That would definitely explain a few things about why I got all my college work done in the last few years during the night...it just felt right :)

• Registered Users Posts: 362 ✭✭Fluffybums

At last evidence that I'm a bl**dy genius!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

That would definitely explain why last week I was dreaming about UFO's in the sky and Paul Newman last night .

Actually no it wouldn't at all .

/Sets his alarm for 7.30

• Registered Users Posts: 2,793 ✭✭✭chillywilly

I like the way you waited til after midnight to start this thread :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

That would definitely explain a few things about why I got all my college work done in the last few years during the night...it just felt right :)

Ditto the mass of work I could get done between half past midnight and 3am was unreal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 864 ✭✭✭Kxiii

Late make smart good me know that :)

Glad i work third shift.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

Thaedydal wrote: »
    Ditto the mass of work I could get done between half past midnight and 3am was unreal.

Hmm, between 11 and 2 am seems to be my 'golden zone' for writing stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,698 ✭✭✭StupidLikeAFox

So if I put down "Regularly stays up til 4am" and pehaps attach that article, it'll be seen as a good thing

ColHol wrote: »
    So if I put down "Regularly stays up til 4am" and pehaps attach that article, it'll be seen as a good thing
    Oddly I'm awake until then every damn day.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,383 ✭✭✭Aoibheann

That would explain the wierd ideas i get in the middle of the night

See, my weird ideas tend to be odd combinations of food.. Not so wise in the middle of the night. Some of them are just not so wise ever! >_<

But CLEARLY this is true, I mean look at the posters here. We're a bunch of geniuses. :pac: <3

• Registered Users Posts: 3,290 ✭✭✭trowelled

My mind definitely appears to be at its most active during the night. I really should keep some pen and paper by my bed so I can write the stuff down. By morning time it's gone from my head.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,727 ✭✭✭reallyrose

trowelled wrote: »
    My mind definitely appears to be at its most active during the night. I really should keep some pen and paper by my bed so I can write the stuff down. By morning time it's gone from my head.

I have that too, but sometimes I wonder if it is a product of just being in bed, nice and quiet with no distractions.
    It's hard to have deep meaningful thoughts when one is at work, people talking, lights all bright.

reallyrose wrote: »
    I have that too, but sometimes I wonder if it is a product of just being in bed, nice and quiet with no distractions.
    It's hard to have deep meaningful thoughts when one is at work, people talking, lights all bright.
    Therefore smart people are night owls. They enjoy the solitude.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,727 ✭✭✭reallyrose

Therefore smart people are night owls. They enjoy the solitude.

My apologies, I may not have been clear enough.
    It does not have to be night time to have solitude. However, for most people, they are most likely to have time to themselves to sit quietly and think at night. During the day there are too many distractions.

Therefore, the thinking of interesting thoughts may not be connected to the time of day, but connected to the peace and quiet.

• Advertisement

True, but what time of day do most people find peace and quiet?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,290 ✭✭✭trowelled

reallyrose wrote: »

Yeah, I think sometimes that can be the case. I've just noticed that my more creative thoughts tend to come to me late in the evening or at night. I think it's the case that during the day I prefer to either go off out for the day or sit down and watch telly. In both instances, it's a definite intent on my part to somewhat turn my mind off and not have to think.

I mean it's not always the case. Sometimes I will get some pen and paper and jot some ideas down during the day. I think I just work better at night when it comes to getting my brain into gear

• Registered Users Posts: 35,024 ✭✭✭✭Baggly

I know i am at my most creative when im on the bus.

Again, need to keep pen and paper with me on the bus. I know there are several book ideas ive lost due to lack of recording material.

They were probably terrible terrible ideas anyway.

But watching the world go by on the bus always gets me thinking.

Advertisement