Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Affordable android with decent resolution

Options
  • 09-11-2010 1:04am
    Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭

I'm currently in the market for an android phone after my iPhone 3g recently breaking.

I dont want anything too serious in terms of specs and I would be perfectly satisfied with something like the Samsung Galaxy Apollo or the HTC Wildfire if they had decent screen resolution.

The reason I want decent resolution is because I hear many apps are not available to low res phones. Also multi-touch is a must.

I have done piles of research and cant seem to find one suitable.

I will be getting PAYG. I would stretch to €250-€300 if necessary but would rather stay below or around the two-hundred mark. The cheaper the better but I dont want a piece of crap.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,
    James

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Abelloid

What about a second hand Desire? They should be within your budget.

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭jreanor

Thanks for the suggestion..I might get myself one of those although €320ish euro isnt cheap. If possible I would rather not pay that high

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Abelloid

They're €399 sim-free new so second hand should be under 300.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,722 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

I'll be letting a hero go at the end of the week for €150

• Registered Users Posts: 10,407 ✭✭✭✭justsomebloke

go up north and get the Orange San Francisco. fantastic device for the money and even with your bus fare up north included you will still get it for under €200 (the phone itself is £110)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 1,797 Mod ✭✭✭✭ChopShop

jreanor wrote: »

I dont want anything too serious in terms of specs and I would be perfectly satisfied with something like the Samsung Galaxy Apollo or the HTC Wildfire if they had decent screen resolution.

Android on the Wildfire is an afterthought, and i suspect the Apollo is seriously underspecd too.

The Orange San Francisco/ZTE Blade.. seems to have gotten a fairly positive response. For the money it looks pretty good. I don't believe the hardware is there to ensure any longevity with regard to future updates. IIRC, it's a 600 MHZ processor and i have some doubts about it's performance even as it is.

In short: Budget Android phones are something of a contradiction.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,407 ✭✭✭✭justsomebloke

wernstrom! wrote: »
    IIRC, it's a 600 MHZ processor and i have some doubts about it's performance even as it is.

yes performance as is isn't as good as my Desire, but once you are using launcher pro it will run smooth. Pinch to zoom is a bit sluggish but at a quarter of the price of my Desire, if I was to weigh up cost V performance the San Francisco wins hands down. Ye it won't have the same life span of a higher end phone if you are looking to upgrade it but it works a treat if you are resticted by budget.

In short: Budget androids don't have to be a contradiction you just have to a lot more careful of what you buy.

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭jreanor

I was up north last weekend...if I had known I'd have got one of those. At the moment I'm think either a used HTC Legend which I can get for about 180/190 (or hero if I got a good deal) or splash out for a desire for 300..I cant find any cheaper than that.

I have found a new ZTE Blade online for €180...would that be better than the legend?
    Also how do heroes compare to legends? What price would be reasonable for a htc hero?

Advertisement