Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

James Joyce Essay

Options
  • 08-11-2010 7:34pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 10

We've been asked to come up with our own title for our essays on James Joyce.. using Ulysses, Dubliners and A portrait of an Artist.

Just wondering who out there has some ideas for an essay title or themes I could use for the essay? As I have not been able to keep up with the fast paced reading of Joyce in the class and I'm totally stumped as to what I can write 3000 words on without having read the books in fine detail.

suggestions? :confused:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭John

GaVooN90 wrote: »
    suggestions? :confused:

Without sounding like an arse, maybe read the books? Or the very least read A Portrait... and Dubliners as they're short enough.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 GaVooN90

Oh yes I know, if I hadn't a bundle of other classes to read books and articles for I definitely would.. but unfortunately the workload in this Joyce class is impossible on top of everything else so need the help of boards.ie :-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,289 ✭✭✭parker kent

As somebody who has come through an English degree, I can sympathize to a certain extent, but you really have to read the books to write a good essay. I am sure there are periods in the day that you could try harder to get through the books. Such as the time that you spend thinking about ways around reading the books or time spent on Boards :D If you are in UCD, I probably did the same seminar you are now doing.

Given that you have a very open topic (seems pretty much like anything you want really), you can focus on anything. Something wide ranging, something narrow, basically whatever you want.

Examples could be: Look at how he describes Dublin in his books. Look at his treatment on female characters. You could write about aspects of the language used. You could compare and contrast similar/different elements between the books.

Obviously you need to put more work into the topics than I did but you should get an idea of what to look at. Read articles that you have been given for the class. Look up databases like Literature Online, JSTOR, Academic Search Premiere etc for other background reading and ideas for essay topics. Read what other people have written online. There are literally millions of responses on Google if you want to look up ideas for James Joyce essays. You could look at theses in the library written on Joyce.

There are so many things you could do! The one constant is that you have to actually put the work in before you can get the rewards of a decent essay.

As somebody who has come through an English degree, I can sympathize to a certain extent, but you really have to read the books to write a good essay. I am sure there are periods in the day that you could try harder to get through the books. Such as the time that you spend thinking about ways around reading the books or time spent on Boards :D If you are in UCD, I probably did the same seminar you are now doing.

Given that you have a very open topic (seems pretty much like anything you want really), you can focus on anything. Something wide ranging, something narrow, basically whatever you want.

Examples could be: Look at how he describes Dublin in his books. Look at his treatment on female characters. You could write about aspects of the language used. You could compare and contrast similar/different elements between the books.

Obviously you need to put more work into the topics than I did but you should get an idea of what to look at. Read articles that you have been given for the class. Look up databases like Literature Online, JSTOR, Academic Search Premiere etc for other background reading and ideas for essay topics. Read what other people have written online. There are literally millions of responses on Google if you want to look up ideas for James Joyce essays. You could look at theses in the library written on Joyce.

There are so many things you could do! The one constant is that you have to actually put the work in before you can get the rewards of a decent essay.

Thanks, I have read them all in bits and pieces its just so hard to get through them all in a matter of a couple of weeks when you have plenty of other stuff to read as well! but thanks for the help i'll take that on board :) and ye its UCD James Joyce module.. so probably is the same.. awful! ha :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,289 ✭✭✭parker kent

If I could read them all, you can too! Also you have direct access to Declan Kiberd, don't waste such a golden opportunity.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,376 ✭✭✭metrovelvet

IS this one essay on all three or one essay on each of them?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,766 ✭✭✭squeakyduck

Who is taking your reading of Joyce class. It was Kiberd or Crispi when I was there. I've only just left UCD. If you feel you are stuck, I would definitely make an appointment with Declan Kiberd to chat over what your difficulties are! I've said this in other thread too but I love Declan, he's a lecturer in a million.

He's very good at chatting to you but he's really brainstorming with you. As John said read Portrait, it's a very easy read and you get to totally immerse yourself with Joyce/Stephen whereas with Dubliners you get a snapshot of a day in the life. There are a few very prominent themes withing Portrait that you could cling to. I found this when reading it, I found writing on Portrait was a very easy essay! :)

Its been a long time since I read these but if I remember correctly the one thing they all have in common is Dublin. Maybe you could talk about Dublin as a character in all three. I never had to write something that included all three so thats all I can think of off the top of my head. The only other thing I have a vague and fuzzy recollection of is the relationship between epiphany and self actualization.

The essay is 1 essay concerning all three books!

It's Crispi taking the course unfortunately, he's made the workload even harder!

I was thinking that of the Dublin idea too.. coming up with a title is the only thing that may be difficult.. how to make it specific but leave me open to have plenty of things to write about? :cool:

Crispi is a hard person to impress sadly. I had him for a module on Ulysses and other Irish lit in 2nd year and he made me hate Joyce's guts. It was only when I had to take reading Ulyssses in third year with Kiberd as a last resort I realized my love for Joyce.

Dublin is a good starting point, personally a theme of epiphany is apparent through them...try and mix the two...Did you try and make an appointment with Declan?

• Advertisement

Crispi is a hard person to impress sadly. I had him for a module on Ulysses and other Irish lit in 2nd year and he made me hate Joyce's guts. It was only when I had to take reading Ulyssses in third year with Kiberd as a last resort I realized my love for Joyce.

Dublin is a good starting point, personally a theme of epiphany is apparent through them...try and mix the two...Did you try and make an appointment with Declan?
    Ye I noticed, thats the reason I'm really not enjoying "Reading Joyce".. just don't enjoy hsi classes so my enthusiasm to do the work is lacking!

I am going to try and get an appointment with Declan Kiberd during the week, I feel he could be of a good help to me.. gathering some ideas at the moment and then il get onto it! thanks for the help.

Any other suggestions still welcome!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Mardy Bum

GaVooN90 wrote: »
    Ye I noticed, thats the reason I'm really not enjoying "Reading Joyce".. just don't enjoy hsi classes so my enthusiasm to do the work is lacking!

I am going to try and get an appointment with Declan Kiberd during the week, I feel he could be of a good help to me.. gathering some ideas at the moment and then il get onto it! thanks for the help.

Any other suggestions still welcome!

Jesus why would you pick the hardest English module in the whole level is the question I'm wondering about!???

JSTOR some articles and just be liberal on what you take ;)

The growth of Stephen would be interesting and relatively easy.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,798 ✭✭✭goose2005

Mardy Bum wrote: »
    Jesus why would you pick the hardest English module in the whole level is the question I'm wondering about!???

JSTOR some articles and just be liberal on what you take ;)

The growth of Stephen would be interesting and relatively easy.

But Stephen isn't much a chracter so much as a reflection. Also, he's not in Dubliners. The best essay topic would be about the evolution of writing styles, I'd say.

goose2005 wrote: »
    But Stephen isn't much a chracter so much as a reflection. Also, he's not in Dubliners. The best essay topic would be about the evolution of writing styles, I'd say.

Yes you are right sorry didnt read the OP fully. Yes that would be a good one. Realism to Modernism??

Ok guys I decided after the good suggestions to go with the use of epiphanies In these 3 works.. but the lecturer said just the use of epiphanies is too broad and vague.. how can i narrow the focus of the essay but keeping it easy to write on?

Epiphanies are one thing, but what is the next step after that? Do the characters decide they want to do something or do they just not bother? Do they take it upon themselves to change or do they just watch the world around them enviously?

The use of the epiphany within Dubliners was part of my MA thesis. Very interesting stuff! :)

^ I remember vaguely having to write an essay on epiphany and self actualisation in Joyce.

But I still like the idea of Dublin as a character in the three books, as a kind of muse for epiphany. I cant remember the books in detail enough to recall what inspires the epiphanies, if its an object or an experience. But I also think its very interesting how Joyce secularised the concept of epiphany.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,916 ✭✭✭RonMexico

This thread bothers me. If you have attended the lectures and also completed the required reading then you shouldn't need to log onto boards to ask for help.

This just strikes me as a lazy attempt to get someone to do the work for you.

RonMexico wrote: »
    This thread bothers me. If you have attended the lectures and also completed the required reading then you shouldn't need to log onto boards to ask for help.

You just reiterated almost exactly what he earlier admitted so yes you are correct.

RonMexico wrote: »

I have to agree with this. At this point you should be able to figure out your own essay topic.

• Advertisement
Advertisement