Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Subjunctive mood - were/was

Options
  • 08-11-2010 6:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭

Hello,

Looking for some opinions on the use of the subjunctive mood. It's used for describing something which is unlikely or hypothetical. If we take this sentence:

[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]It was as if the tip of his pipe was the final ingredient in a highly unstable compound.[/FONT]

Since this is highly unlikely (not enough context, but take my word) it seems like it should be written either like this:

[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]It were as if the tip of his pipe was the final ingredient in a highly unstable compound.[/FONT]

this:

[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]It were as if the tip of his pipe were the final ingredient in a highly unstable compound.[/FONT]
    or this:

[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]It was as if the tip of his pipe were the final ingredient in a highly unstable compound.[/FONT]

[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]Can anyone tell me the correct usage in this case? Thanks!
    [/FONT]

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,252 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

The third one. The subjunctive mood doesn't extend to the clause preceding the conditional.

If you want to discuss this further, I'll move it into the English forum.

Advertisement