Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

9/11 was inside job: follow the money

Options
  • 08-11-2010 5:31pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 241 ✭✭

9/11 was an inside job: follow the money

From the official 9/11 commission report:

130. Highly publicized allegations of insider trading in advance of 9/11 generally rest on reports of unusual pre-9/11 trading activity in companies whose stock plummeted after the attacks. Some unusual trading did in fact occur, but each such trade proved to have an innocuous explanation. For example, the volume of put options— investments that pay off only when a stock drops in price—surged in the parent companies of United Airlines on September 6 and American Airlines on September 10—highly suspicious trading on its face.Yet, further investigation
    has revealed that the trading had no connection with 9/11.A single U.S.-based institutional investor with no conceivable ties to al Qaeda purchased 95 percent of the UAL puts on September 6 as part of a trading strategy that also included buying 115,000 shares of American on September 10.Similarly,much of the seemingly suspicious trading in American on September 10 was traced to a specific U.S.-based options trading newsletter, faxed to its subscribers on Sunday, September 9, which recommended these trades.These examples typify the evidence examined
    by the investigation.The SEC and the FBI, aided by other agencies and the securities industry, devoted enormous
    resources to investigating this issue, including securing the cooperation of many foreign governments.These investigators have found that the apparently suspicious consistently proved innocuous.Joseph Cella interview (Sept. 16, 2003; May 7, 2004; May 10–11, 2004); FBI briefing (Aug. 15, 2003); SEC memo, Division of Enforcement to SEC Chair and Commissioners,“Pre-September 11,2001 Trading Review,”May 15,2002;Ken Breen interview (Apr. 23, 2004); Ed G. interview (Feb. 3, 2004).

P499 9/11 Commission Report

You get it? As those who benefited from 9/11 are not member of "Al Qaeda", there is nothing suspicious. Also nobody find strange that those "lucky investors" knew in advance that the price of American Airlines and United Airlines would drop.
    You have to be dishonest to swallow this one:mad:.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,980 ✭✭✭meglome

TMoreno wrote: »
    From the official 9/11 commission report:

130. Highly publicized allegations of insider trading in advance of 9/11 generally rest on reports of unusual pre-9/11 trading activity in companies whose stock plummeted after the attacks. Some unusual trading did in fact occur, but each such trade proved to have an innocuous explanation. For example, the volume of put options— investments that pay off only when a stock drops in price—surged in the parent companies of United Airlines on September 6 and American Airlines on September 10—highly suspicious trading on its face.Yet, further investigation
    has revealed that the trading had no connection with 9/11.A single U.S.-based institutional investor with no conceivable ties to al Qaeda purchased 95 percent of the UAL puts on September 6 as part of a trading strategy that also included buying 115,000 shares of American on September 10.Similarly,much of the seemingly suspicious trading in American on September 10 was traced to a specific U.S.-based options trading newsletter, faxed to its subscribers on Sunday, September 9, which recommended these trades.These examples typify the evidence examined
    by the investigation.The SEC and the FBI, aided by other agencies and the securities industry, devoted enormous
    resources to investigating this issue, including securing the cooperation of many foreign governments.These investigators have found that the apparently suspicious consistently proved innocuous.Joseph Cella interview (Sept. 16, 2003; May 7, 2004; May 10–11, 2004); FBI briefing (Aug. 15, 2003); SEC memo, Division of Enforcement to SEC Chair and Commissioners,“Pre-September 11,2001 Trading Review,”May 15,2002;Ken Breen interview (Apr. 23, 2004); Ed G. interview (Feb. 3, 2004).

P499 9/11 Commission Report

You get it? As those who benefited from 9/11 are not member of "Al Qaeda", there is nothing suspicious. Also nobody find strange that those "lucky investors" knew in advance that the price of American Airlines and United Airlines would drop.
    You have to be dishonest to swallow this one:mad:.

But similar trades had been made many times previously and are continuing to be made to this day. They could trace exactly who made the trades and why. In any situation someone will be a winner. The majority of people lost out in this recession but some hedge funds gambled there would be a recession and won. There are always winners and losers, I'm also always surprised people find this odd.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 241 ✭✭TMoreno

meglome wrote: »
    But similar trades had been made many times previously and are continuing to be made to this day. They could trace exactly who made the trades and why. In any situation someone will be a winner. The majority of people lost out in this recession but some hedge funds gambled there would be a recession and won. There are always winners and losers, I'm also always surprised people find this odd.

You don't find it suspicious because it does not fit with the Al Qaeda conspiracy theory.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,980 ✭✭✭meglome

You don't find it suspicious because it does not fit with the Al Qaeda conspiracy theory.

I don't find it suspicious for this reason...

Amex Airline Index in a Slide Prior to Sept.11
    867.include

Airline shares had been volatile for some time. A profit warning had been issued right before Sept 11th so it would be natural that trades would be high. They know who placed the trades and it has been explained why they did it. So I'm not suspicious as there's no reason to be, on this particular issue.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 246 ✭✭Joshua Jones

867.include

Airline shares had been volatile for some time. A profit warning had been issued right before Sept 11th so it would be natural that trades would be high. They know who placed the trades and it has been explained why they did it. So I'm not suspicious as there's no reason to be, on this particular issue.

Source?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭Di0genes

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭robtri

Source?

i am going to guess thestreet.com
    since it the website named on the graph

• Closed Accounts Posts: 246 ✭✭Joshua Jones

robtri wrote: »
    i am going to guess thestreet.com
    since it the website named on the graph

:rolleyes:

867.include

There was no reason to buy United Airlines and American Airlines in such number just before 9/11.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,307 ✭✭✭✭alastair

There was no reason to buy United Airlines and American Airlines in such number just before 9/11.

Yeah - I can't see any reason why there would buy volume put options on an already falling stock, following a profit warning by the airline. Aside from the obvious profit that is. :rolleyes:

alastair wrote: »
    Yeah - I can't see any reason why there would buy volume put options on an already falling stock, following a profit warning by the airline. Aside from the obvious profit that is. :rolleyes:

Where does this graph come from? Tel Aviv?:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,630 ✭✭✭The Recliner

Where does this graph come from? Tel Aviv?:D

As suggested in another thread you should stick to the topic and leave the Isreal bashing out of every single thread you post in

Advertisement