Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Update to lost.ie, feedback appreciated.

• 08-11-2010 1:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭

I've just pushed out an updated design for http://lost.ie

The goal is to keep it clean and simple and hopefully as frictionless as possible for people to post up their lost and found items.

I would love to get some feedback.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭BengaLover

Link not working .

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭KJF

Are you sure? It's working ok for me.

http://lost.ie

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 141 ✭✭en.r4cart

great website! Brilliant idea!
    It could be useful.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 141 ✭✭en.r4cart

By the way, what is the tink tank?

By the way, what is the tink tank?

tinktank.ie is my freelance web development business.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Cianos

A big problem with the concept in my opinion is that there doesn't seem to be a mechanism to allow people who find things to be matched with those who lost something.

It would be cool if, when posting an ad, you are notified of possible matches in the opposite category.

For example, if I found a handbag, when creating the ad I will tag it with "brown", "handbag", "louis vuitton".

If the owner of the bag is creating an ad, they could be notified of any existing matches in the Found database as they enter those tags. If I first type "handbag", it could say "10 matches for handbag", then when I type "brown", it could say "2 matches for brown handbag", then add "Louis Vuitton", it could say "1 match for brown Louis Vuitton handbag".

The owner will then see that their bag has already been found and can directly contact the person who found it, rather than finishing the ad and maybe or maybe not finding the Finders original ad.

Cianos wrote: »
    A big problem with the concept in my opinion is that there doesn't seem to be a mechanism to allow people who find things to be matched with those who lost something.

It would be cool if, when posting an ad, you are notified of possible matches in the opposite category.

For example, if I found a handbag, when creating the ad I will tag it with "brown", "handbag", "louis vuitton".

If the owner of the bag is creating an ad, they could be notified of any existing matches in the Found database as they enter those tags. If I first type "handbag", it could say "10 matches for handbag", then when I type "brown", it could say "2 matches for brown handbag", then add "Louis Vuitton", it could say "1 match for brown Louis Vuitton handbag".

The owner will then see that their bag has already been found and can directly contact the person who found it, rather than finishing the ad and maybe or maybe not finding the Finders original ad.

This is kind of the case already. When a user posts an ad they can opt in to receive email alerts if a matching item is posted at a later date.

An algorithm analyses each new post and determines a match based on a number of different parameters, for example location (to a radius of 20 miles), the category of item and some keyword matching.

If a match is found and the user opted in for email alerts then they will receive an email notifying them of the match seconds later.

Advertisement