Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

vocabulary help

Options
  • 08-11-2010 12:40pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 57 ✭✭

Hi all,
    I am now in Chapter four of Nancy Stenson's workbook and here is a bit from a conversation which the learner is supposed to fill in with the correct terms. I can complete most of the gaps without problems but then there is the last sentence:

Donncha: Dia dhuit, a Cháit. Cén chaoi a bhfuil tú?
    Cáit: Dia's Muire dhuit, a Dhonncha. Tá mé go maith. Cén chaoi bhfuil tú anseo?
    D: Tá mise go hiontach. Nach bhfuil an áit go deas anseo?
    C: Tá, XXX a tá a bháisteach go XXX.

The xxx stand for the word or phrase to be filled in.
    I am a bit puzzled because I have not yet met the construction "a tá" unless it is meant to be "atá" introducing a direct relative clause. But then, what could come before it?
    Neither do I understand "a bháisteach" in this context. Why should there be a sudden mention of "his rain"? Or, if báisteach is to be understand as a verbal noun, why should with the particle "a" in front of it, where is the subject of the sentence?

Could anyone please help me out?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭Krusader

a tá = atá, there is a few typos in them exercises mainly missing accents and such

to rain = báisteach a chur (to lay rain)
    raining = ag cur báistí

To be honest when I did that part of the exercises, i was stumped aswell and left it blank and moved on. I couldn't figure it out either

• Registered Users Posts: 941 ✭✭✭An gal gréine

"a tá a bháisteadh" does'nt make sense.
    Nor does "cén chaoi bhfuil tú ANSEO" seem right.
    It does'nt seem relevant how you are HERE (unless the context makes it so)
    Best just to move on...though it does'nt inspire confidence as to future accuracy of text.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 57 ✭✭stephanus

Alright, so the báisteach-thing seems to puzzle not only me. :D

I think the other sentence, a gal gréine mentions should better be "Cén áit bhfuil tú anseo?". Would that make more sense? But that would make D's answer be out of place. In the exercise the sentence looks like this: "Cén XXX anseo?". I can't make head nor tail of it, I admit.

"where are you here" does'nt make sense either!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 57 ✭✭stephanus

Not really, I agree. I am quite lost.

I'll follow your advice and pass on and out. :rolleyes:

This Irish of yours really IS hard in a way. I've been trying to get a hold on it for a year now and it keeps slipping away between my fingers. I have a farely good idea of how Irish works but when it comes down to memorising rules and words my brain turns out to be incontinent this way. I'm only glad that doesn't frustrate me and I'm enjoying it as much as I imagined when starting. Coming to think of it I only started the grammar section of Chapter 20 in my book which means I have covered more than A HALF of the thing already. Makes me wanna do the rest even more!

• Advertisement

Fair play to you, Stephanus, and if further assistance is needed, someone here will help. Slán go fóill.

Advertisement