Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

March Against the Gardai!!!!

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,897 ✭✭✭MagicSean

angelfire9 wrote: »
    http://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=139824556067366

Shamelessly copied from here:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056083022

Mixed views on the thread quoted above

What do AGS members think??

Going by the comments on the page and the groups organising it, it will not end well. The only people attending will be looking for trouble.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 9,653 CMod ✭✭✭✭Shield

Let me guess...

They'll block a road or access to a public place/building again and think that by sitting down, the Gardaí aren't "allowed" to use force to remove or disperse them, and call any such attempts to do so "illegal".

There'll be plenty of "Peaceful Protest" chants being snarled through gritted teeth, followed by dramatic playing-to-the-cameras kicking and screaming when they are dispersed one-by-one using textbook baton strikes, concluded with countless allegations of police brutality that will have to be investigated by GSOC, wasting their time and money...

And the cuts will STILL go ahead!

psni wrote: »
    Let me guess...

They'll block a road or access to a public place/building again and think that by sitting down, the Gardaí aren't "allowed" to use force to remove or disperse them, and call any such attempts to do so "illegal".

There'll be plenty of "Peaceful Protest" chants being snarled through gritted teeth, followed by dramatic playing-to-the-cameras kicking and screaming when they are dispersed one-by-one using textbook baton strikes, concluded with countless allegations of police brutality that will have to be investigated by GSOC, wasting their time and money...

And the cuts will STILL go ahead!

I have a feeling that's an overly optimistic prediction considering the people likely to attend.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 9,653 CMod ✭✭✭✭Shield

Ah you know yourself... always look on the bright side of life (whistling bit that I can't do).
    k_mac wrote: »
    I have a feeling that's an overly optimistic prediction considering the people likely to attend.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 234 ✭✭petergfiffin

What if the Gardai didn't turn up? :D

What makes me laugh at some of these groups is the way they've called for "French and Greek style" riots yet when the Gardai react with about 1% of the aggression of those respective police forces they're crying about "Police Brutality"!!

• Advertisement

You couldn't make it up.

A march against Garda Brutality, at a protest where, even when the videos have been slyly edited, you can still see people firing objects at the Gardaì.

I really must head up to Dublin for this one. Practice the ould photography and I'll get great pleasure seeing AGS dragging these nutballs through the streets (it won't end well!)

• Registered Users Posts: 28,118 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

What if the Gardai didn't turn up? :D

That's something i've been thinking about, From seeing the student protests and the Tony Blair book signing first hand, they don't seem to be riots about anything in particular there just excuses to have a pop at the Garda, fight the power etc.
    It's the same heads leading these protest, they were at the book signing, flappin on the pat kenny show, at the student protests.

Honestly I think the Army should be sent in they might have a little more respect.

• Registered Users Posts: 775 ✭✭✭roboshatner

i'd ne up for it Id stay well clear of the protest but Id take photos.

Cause your going to get your ass kicked.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,321 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

psni wrote: »
    Let me guess...

Funny how the Gardai are keen to wade in on students in situations like that, yet taxi drivers can block up the entire city of Dublin with impunity when they protest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭Delancey

I made the point already on the Politics thread that if the Government were to give the Gardai the day off and bring in , say , CRS from France or Carabinieri from Italy then these protestors would soon discover what ' Police Brutality ' is all about - let those lads loose on public disorder and these Eirigi types would be begging for the Guards back.

• Advertisement

Just another thing, does anyone think there's something a bit iffy with the time for this? 6pm? Won't it be a bit dark (which obviously won't benefti the Gardaì, as they'll be in reflective jackets, and the 'protestors' will likely be a bit tougher to see).

• Registered Users Posts: 775 ✭✭✭roboshatner

i still don't think its right beating kids up on the street sitting on the ground.

its not on.

And that guard or guards will be brought to court.
    delancey42 wrote: »
    I made the point already on the Politics thread that if the Government were to give the Gardai the day off and bring in , say , CRS from France or Carabinieri from Italy then these protestors would soon discover what ' Police Brutality ' is all about - let those lads loose on public disorder and these Eirigi types would be begging for the Guards back.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 8,463 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sierra Oscar

i still don't think its right beating kids up on the street sitting on the ground.

its not on.

Kids? :confused:

The vast vast majority of students are legally adults. And how does that make a difference anyway? Do you advocate that those under the age of 18 should be allowed break the law with no consequences?

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

Adults. By the time people go to college, they are 18+
    If you throw something at a Garda while s/he's on duty. Expect him to deal with the situation.
    delancey42 wrote: »
    I made the point already on the Politics thread that if the Government were to give the Gardai the day off and bring in , say , CRS from France

My hubby is French. He cannot believe how chilled out and relaxed our Gardai are compared to French police. Those guys are scarey!

Funny how the Gardai are keen to wade in on students in situations like that, yet taxi drivers can block up the entire city of Dublin with impunity when they protest.

Yeah but the taxi drivers didn't attack the Gardaí.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,938 ✭✭✭deadwood

Maybe legitimate protesters should have uniform dress and identification numbers too?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 805 ✭✭✭Irish_polizei

its not on.

Just want to add my 54c.
    What are you talking about? Kids? Kids dont go to college, 97% of college students are 18+ which merits the term adult !

And "sitting on the ground" in the middle of a public roadway is not on, what if there was a medical emergency or fire emergency further down that street and as a result 1000's of students panicked and started trying to disperse, it would of been a hectic situation with so many in such a small area...Besides what benefit was sitting in the middle of a wet street got other than to cause disruption to the general public. (And the public order unit weren't asked to gear up for no reason, thats what throwing glass bottles and signs at unprotected uniformed gardai gets)

what if there was a medical emergency or fire emergency further down that street and as a result 1000's of students panicked and started trying to disperse

Was actually wondering about that.

Some girl was briefly unconscious. I would have thought they'd ring an ambulance (though she was up quick enough so they didn't really need one).

As i was watching the videos and such, i thought that running an ambulance on sirens up the street would calm the crowd and disperse things, surely?

Not sure why they didn't do that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 805 ✭✭✭Irish_polizei

Some girl was briefly unconscious. I would have thought they'd ring an ambulance (though she was up quick enough so they didn't really need one).

As i was watching the videos and such, i thought that running an ambulance on sirens up the street would calm the crowd and disperse things, surely?

Yeh It would be a great idea, but you'd want it doing laps up and down the street if you were deter a crowd from coming especially to cause mayhem and disruption. And sure I dont think alot of people would think that taking an ambulance out of service would be a good idea. :)

(I should of phrased my initial post it in a way that they panic at the fact that a vehicle large vehicle wants to get through the crowd fairly pronto.)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,195 ✭✭✭goldie fish

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cWpTDmbl7vE

Latest one doing the rounds by the chattering classes. I have watched it(with the sound down to drown out that annoying screaming git) and I fail to see the gardai doing anything wrong. If anything they displayed immense patience.

• Advertisement

Yeh It would be a great idea, but you'd want it doing laps up and down the street if you were deter a crowd from coming especially to cause mayhem and disruption. And sure I dont think alot of people would think that taking an ambulance out of service would be a good idea. :)

(I should of phrased my initial post it in a way that they panic at the fact that a vehicle large vehicle wants to get through the crowd fairly pronto.)

I think we might be talking about different things. What I'm saying is, when the Public Order Unit were there, and the "peaceful" sit down was taking place, etc. when people started hurling abuse and firing stuff at the gardaì (and generally started causing trouble), would it not have made sense to just get a HSE ambulance to intervene through the street.

Doesn't have to stop or anything or actually pick anyone up, but the paramedics aren't viewed as an enemy, and considering the nature of the ambulance, i'm fairly sure it'd have gotten people up off the ground and off the road. Also the thoughts that someone may have gotten seriously hurt may play on people's minds (an ambulance is never good news).

I just reckon it would've been a good tactic at the time, in my own opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭Mr Jinx

Im no doctor but id seriously doubt her condition, saw the video where she was removed from crowd by Gardai, and she was practically placed on the ground. I'v seen babies placed in cots with more force.

Mr Jinx wrote: »
    Im no doctor but id seriously doubt her condition, saw the video where she was removed from crowd by Gardai, and she was practically placed on the ground. I'v seen babies placed in cots with more force.

Well I don't know if we're talking about the same person? In the video being filmed out the window, he looks down and you can see two Gardaì with a girl on the ground. But she's up and running off a couple seconds later.

Didn't see footage of her getting knocked down, though (at least I don't think I did).

Besides, i wasn't there so im just assuming.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,967 ✭✭✭Paulzx

I think we might be talking about different things. What I'm saying is, when the Public Order Unit were there, and the "peaceful" sit down was taking place, etc. when people started hurling abuse and firing stuff at the gardaì (and generally started causing trouble), would it not have made sense to just get a HSE ambulance to intervene through the street.

Doesn't have to stop or anything or actually pick anyone up, but the paramedics aren't viewed as an enemy, and considering the nature of the ambulance, i'm fairly sure it'd have gotten people up off the ground and off the road. Also the thoughts that someone may have gotten seriously hurt may play on people's minds (an ambulance is never good news).

I just reckon it would've been a good tactic at the time, in my own opinion.

You're plan falls down on a number of points.

1- Half the population won't/can't/are incapable of getting safely out of the way of an emergency vehicle on blues on any given normal day of the week. Somehow i don't think those involved in a riot/protest are going to be any different.

2- I won't be driving my ambulance into the middle of a riot anytime soon.

3- I think the horses do a much better job

• Registered Users Posts: 2,752 ✭✭✭flyingsnail

How about we send in mickey mouse to calm things down:D

ka1k6p.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭cushtac

Paramedics are attacked on a weekly basis, what makes you think people wouldn't turn on an unarmed & unprotected ambulance?

• Registered Users Posts: 580 ✭✭✭shampon

Why am I not surprised that this thing is being organized by the crust balls in my Maynooth.

cushtac wrote: »
    Paramedics are attacked on a weekly basis, what makes you think people wouldn't turn on an unarmed & unprotected ambulance?

Because if they did, they wouldn't have a leg to stand on when the Gardaì came running in baton-first. There'd be no "garda brutality" protest and there'd be no one saying AGS should be ashamed.

You'd be shocked how attacking an ambulance/paramedic would change people's view of the ickle innocent pwotestors.

I reckon an ambulance on blues would have passed through there with very little issue.

(my own opinion of course)

• Registered Users Posts: 382 ✭✭touge_drift

its not an ambulances job to disperse a crowd/riot though.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭Poccington

Because if they did, they wouldn't have a leg to stand on when the Gardaì came running in baton-first. There'd be no "garda brutality" protest and there'd be no one saying AGS should be ashamed.

You'd be shocked how attacking an ambulance/paramedic would change people's view of the ickle innocent pwotestors.

I reckon an ambulance on blues would have passed through there with very little issue.

(my own opinion of course)

Why should an ambulance and a crew have to drive down a street and maybe even attacked, just to give members of the POU justification to use force?

If, after normal uniformed members of AGS have been attacked and the POU get called in, it's time for people to move. People need to realise that if a Public Order Platoon of any sort is moving towards you while they're attempting to clear the street, you move. When it comes to dealing with PO situations, a PO Unit isn't there for the sake of standing there and being nice. When their Commander tells them to clear a road, they clear it. If people don't have the sense to move as a PO Unit approaches them, well then the PO Unit will make them move.

It's not a case of playing nice or thinking of the children etc. the lads are there to do a job and they do it. If people want to impede them while they do that job, they have to be prepared to accept the consequences of their actions.

Anyway, all this "police brutality" carry on is ridiculous. I've gotten worse treatment on PO Exercises in work FFS.

Hats off to the lads, job well done.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement