Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UN Duties

Options
  • 08-11-2010 8:43am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5

Just wondering how members of the Gardaí are selected for UN Policing/Peacekeeping Duties?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,957 ✭✭✭Hooch

Just wondering how members of the Gardaí are selected for UN Policing/Peacekeeping Duties?

Application process

Never heard of this. I know the army do this sorta stuff, but this is new to me.

What does a Garda do?

• Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭belacqua_

The guards go out in far fewer numbers than the army, so it's not something the general public would be as aware of; they're usually seconded by AGS after they've applied for a post with the UN. There used to be a section on the official website about their duties with the UN abroad, as far as I can remember, but I can't find anything there now. Here's some info on the various roles of a UN Police officer:

http://www.un.org/en/peacekeeping/sites/police/policing.shtml

• Closed Accounts Posts: 805 ✭✭✭Irish_polizei

Yes its through application as NGA said.

Wouldnt mind it myself some time! You could also possibly get to "serve in the Embassies of Ireland in London, The Hague, Madrid and Paris. Members are also seconded to Europol in The Hague, Holland and Interpol in Lyon, France. There are also many members working directly for UN and European agencies such as the War Crimes Tribunal"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭shakin

Are there gardai in cyprus all the time? Thats a un mission isnt it? A position in afghanistan was advertised not so long ago also.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭Delancey

Yeah , to my knowledge there's always a handful in Cyprus , based mainly around the Turkish Cypriot / Greek Cypriot border.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 bobhogan1980

Thanks for the good responses to my first post :D
    How difficult would it be to be selected for UN peacekeeping/policing duties?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭Delancey

I have read a couple of interviews with / profiles in the media of Gardai serving on UN Missions. The common feature of them was they all seemed very experienced - none of them that I could see had less than 10 years service which probably means a Guard would have to have long finished probation before having a chance.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,957 ✭✭✭Hooch

Thanks for the good responses to my first post :D
    How difficult would it be to be selected for UN peacekeeping/policing duties?

Missions at present are Cyprus, Bosnia and soon to be Afghanistan. The positions in interpol and as liaison are not considered UN postings but EU secondments.

At LEAST 10 yrs in, excellent discipline record, excellent sick record (lack there of, of course), tactical courses, driving and 4x4 course (4x4 course is a prereq for going overseas).

It is very very very very very difficult to get on a mission. I would love to say only the best get it.....but it really comes down to who you know.

Advertisement