Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mature Student Query??

Options
  • 08-11-2010 3:41am
    Registered Users Posts: 15

Hi! I was wondering if i could get some advice.
    I'm thinking of applying to a university course as a mature student. The course i'm interested in is Physical Education. Disappointingly, i never managed to get the points needed in my leaving cert so the only option i have is to wait to apply as a mature student.
    Thankfully i didn't waste my time after the leaving cert. I qualified as an I.T.E.C level one fitness instructor, and i'm also qualified to teach martial arts. I spent the last few years teaching martial arts and fitness classes in a center not far from the city. I also currently teach gymnastics in 2 different primary schools and will be teaching in a geal scoil starting January. I also have previously thought transition years boxercise in two different schools and i have another transition year class lined up for later in the year.
    As you can see i have the experience and i am motivated to do this course but disappointingly i just found out that to qualify as a mature student, i need to be 23 on or before January 1st of the year i wish to start college, which for me i was hoping to start in september 2011. Unfortunately I will be turning 23 on January 13th coming, which makes me 13 days too young .

There's an opening day wednesday week for mature students and i was thinking of going to it to find out more information but i don't know if I'll get anywhere with it?

Those anybody know if there's anyway around this or will i just have to wait another year to apply?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 679 ✭✭✭Connorzee

contact the mature student office

Mature Student Office
    Mature Student Office
    1 & 2 Brighton Villas
    Western Road
    University College Cork T +353 (0)21 490 1873
    F +353 (0)21
    E mso@ucc.ie

Mature Student Officer:
    Mary O'Sullivan

• Registered Users Posts: 15 William Browne

Excellant. Will do. thanks for the info :)

• Registered Users, Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 15,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭rebel girl 15

Go along to the mature students night Wednesday evening and look for the B.Ed Sports Studies and PE course, I do know there is a pathway in if you have a FETAC course done previously.

I honestly don't know if there is a way around it tbh, but contact the mature student office and head along to the open night - they should take it into consideration that you will only be 13 days over

Advertisement