Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Abu Dhabi last lap scenarios

Options
  • 08-11-2010 12:23am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,229 ✭✭✭

Scenario 1:

1: Vettel
    2: Webber + 1 second
    3: Massa + 50 seconds
    4: Hamilton + 51 seconds
    5: Button + 52 seconds
    6: Alonso + 60 seconds

Vettel crosses the line thinking he is champion. Hamilton goes for 3rd spot taking both Hamilton and Massa off. Alonso is champion.

Scenario 2: Massa brake tests Hamilton after Vettel crosses the line. Alonso finishes 4th making him champion

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

Twould be a laugh alright, I just don't want Vettel to win it. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,575 ✭✭✭lord lucan

Vettel and Alonso take each other out at the final corner and Webber drives around them and cruises to victory!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 30,117 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

I'm hoping Webber wins it

Would be fun if Vettel was just ahead of Webber and says "screw you" to the team and Webber and hands the title to Alonso

There is a lot of potential for some sort of scandal or screw up, either by driver fighting for the championship or some of the other drivers influencing things.

Would be amazing if Hamilton won it, but odds must be very slim

• Registered Users Posts: 24,481 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

I can see Massa crashing into someone during the race to help out Alonso, but to be any use he needs to qualify a bit higher than he has been doing.

Don't see Hami being anywhere. Vettel to win*, Alonso 2nd, Massa taking out Webber would be my preferred result.

*Cos lets face it, RB will be streets ahead as usual.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,573 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

The engines are going to be a worry for all the teams, I reckon. They've all done a lot of miles, and there won't be much life left in them. Anyone know what the temperature will be like in Abu Dhabi?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,504 ✭✭✭recyclebin

I'm guessing we won't see any jumping around celebrating like Massas father in 2008 until every car is over the finish line.

That moment in 2008 was priceless.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,318 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

1. Vettel
    2. Alonso
    3. Webber

Its weird now that both Red Bulls are in a similar enough(if not worse) situation now to Alonso with Engines. We shall have to wait and see how it all goes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,199 ✭✭✭G-Money

Was reading Mark Hughes' column on the BBC Formula 1 site and he was suggesting that Hamilton could steal pole in Abu Dhabi just like last year where again, he wasn't in the fastest car.

It's a shame McLaren have kind of fell back on the development this year. But I'm still amazed that even now at the end of the season, Red Bull are still massively fast. I think it's somewhat unusual for a team to have such a season long advantage. Although now I think of it, I remember one other car having a huge season long advantage - the Williams FW18 from 1996. I wonder who designed that car... :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,199 ✭✭✭G-Money

I'd love Massa to deliberately harpoon Alonso out of the race and championship :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,347 ✭✭✭lolie

what if headin into 2nd last lap its 1-vettel, 2-webber, 3-alonso and vettel moves over for webber, then vettel sees in his mirrors alonso pullin out with engine failure. so vettel gets on the team radio and says tell webber to swap places back. webber either says `f**k you` r pretends his radio not working and wins then retires after the race as world champion. prob never happin but o how i`d only love it to happen. ah well:rolleyes:

• Advertisement

What if Webber retires, Vettel is leading with Alonso in second. Does Vettel back off and force Alonso to have to pass

do something like that and hope he's able to finish the race with alonso retiring, if they both get knocked out Hamilton sitting in forth behind Button can take the win from Button

• Registered Users Posts: 1,823 ✭✭✭EvilMonkey

First lap will be more interesting with both Vettel and Webber needing to be first then see what's happening behind. Stick Hamilton with nothing to loose and Alonso trying to stay out of trouble into the mix and it could be over by the first corner.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,672 ✭✭✭Oblomov

Ajonso will sit back and finish as required to win by a margin of more than seven points.... No heroics, no dangerous ...just smooth Alonso...

• Registered Users Posts: 24,481 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

Oblomov wrote: »
    Ajonso will sit back and finish as required to win by a margin of more than seven points.... No heroics, no dangerous ...just smooth Alonso...

thats all well and good but with RB being faster and likely to qualify above him, webber in 1st, vettel in 2nd and alonso in 3rd means he loses, he can't afford to sit back

Hamilton would probably prefer redbull to take it, will it be a surprise if he has a bad weekend :D

I guess he'll want to stay out of it though and will want to see mclaren pick up second in the constructers

he will want a win to give him the slight chance of championship

the start will be interesting as none of the top three can afford not to finish

i know vettel made a good few mistakeas this year but how much will he regret the mistake in his last quali lap in singapore and pitting same lap as alonso? being flawless since then albeit from the front

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Who else here thinks Vettel and Webber are too hotheaded? Something will happen on track, either one or both will collapse under pressure/frustration. Alonso should cruise it and Hamilton would probably be driving for his life, which will probably have him in the wall. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,807 ✭✭✭Poly

Who else here thinks Vettel and Webber are too hotheaded? Something will happen on track, either one or both will collapse under pressure/frustration. Alonso should cruise it and Hamilton would probably be driving for his life, which will probably have him in the wall. :)

I like Webber, he is always honest and amiable in interveiws, I think he understands the media circus and realizes that's what pays his wages.
    He would be a good world champ imo

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Poly wrote: »
    I like Webber, he is always honest and amiable in interveiws, I think he understands the media circus and realizes that's what pays his wages.
    He would be a good world champ imo

Any of the top 4 would be good world champs, I just see something going wrong this weekend

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭Uriel.

I think Red Bull could come to rue the decision not to have team orders in Brazil.

Had Webber had won in Brazil all he had to do was stick the car on pole or in 2nd (behind Vettel) this weekend and just drive to the finish line or "overtake" Vettel and drive to the finish line (pole and drive to the line not that easy, I know). Or even simpler, just finish in the points ahead of Alonso

whatever Alonso did, wouldn't have to worry him.

Now he's realistically got to win and hope Alonso finishes at least 3rd. Vettel will have it tough - having to win and hope that Alonso finshes 4th or worse. But this is F1 and anything can happen as we've seen before.

I am a particular supporter of any of the current drivers (I do have a soft spot for Alonso and I do think he is the best on the grid) but I would like to see Webber win this.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

Alonso can't really cruise though, 3rd gets him nothing if Webber wins.

I'd hazard a guess the race will start with Vettel ahead of Webber ahead of Alonso, and Vettel will stay in front right until the end. Wouldn't surprise me if the media jump up and down about him letting Webber past at the end which would be annoying.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,573 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

It's really interestingly-poised. Alonso really needs to push for second, assuming that the Red Bulls qualify on the front row. Vettel has to hope he's in first and hopes that Alonso makes an error or suffers from reliability to stand a chance.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭Carroller16

(PRINT OFF & KEEP)

The Championship is still up for grabs coming into the final race, and any one of four drivers could win the Drivers Championship.

Fernando Alonso will become World Champion for a third time if:

he is 1st or 2nd
    ...he is 3rd or 4th AND Webber is 2nd or lower
    he is 5th, AND Webber and Vettel fail to win the race
    he is 6th, AND Webber is 3rd or lower, AND Vettel fails to win
    he is 7th or 8th, AND Vettel fails to win and Webber fails to make the podium
    he is 9th, AND Webber is 5th or lower, AND Vettel is 3rd or lower.
    he is 10th, AND Webber is 6th or lower, AND Vettel is 3rd or lower.
    he fails to score a point, but Webber is 6th or lower, AND Vettel is 3rd or lower, AND Hamilton fails to win

Mark Webber will win his first World Championship if:
    he wins, AND Alonso is 3rd or lower.
    he is 2nd, AND Alonso is 6th or lower, AND Vettel fails to win.
    he is 3rd, AND Alonso is 7th or lower, AND Vettel fails to win
    he is 4th, AND Alonso is 9th or lower, AND Vettel fails to win.
    he is 5th, AND Alonso is 10th or lower, AND Vettel is 3rd or lower.

Sebastian Vettel will become the youngest World Champion in history if:
    he wins, AND Alonso is 5th or lower.
    he is 2nd, AND Alonso is 9th or lower, AND Webber is 5th or lower.

Lewis Hamilton will claim his second World Championship if:
    he wins, AND Alonso fails to score a point, AND Webber is 6th or lower, AND Vettel is 3rd or lower.

Uriel. wrote: »
    I think Red Bull could come to rue the decision not to have team orders in Brazil.

not unless they lose it on sunday. if vettel wins the race and alonso has an engine failure then he wins it. hasnt alonso engine got more milage on it than d red bulls? either way i dont want alonso to win it:cool:

Good site that keeps a record of engines etc
    http://www.vivaf1.com/engine.php

Ferrari have completed more race laps than the other teams

• Registered Users Posts: 11,318 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

Vettel and Alonso and Webber are more or less the same now with engines, Webbers engine had a cooling issue at the race in Brazil and there is a worry about it, the Ferrari looks quite strong since they sorted it out at the start of the season, and there is also some rule that Ferrari can use the engine he used for practice at Bahrain but not completely sure about it.

Its going to be nail bitting stuff though.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,672 ✭✭✭Oblomov

You make it sound like an old spice commercial.

Opps forgot the music...intro...Carmina Burana by Carl Orff ........

Cool, calm and collected... Alonso stated quite clearly,, he would win... about mid season when it looked highly unlikely ...so far so good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 stigofthesump

Autosport reports that Vettel is edging towards helping Webber. Not sure I can see that from the quotes, mind.

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/88135

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭Sand Wedge

So what happens if Vettel wins and Alonso finished 5th. Both will have 5 wins and both will have 2 second places. How do they decide the winner?

• Advertisement

Sand Wedge wrote: »
    So what happens if Vettel wins and Alonso finished 5th. Both will have 5 wins and both will have 2 second places. How do they decide the winner?

I think they would look at third places and then fourth place finishes

Advertisement