Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Accounting Trainee - 2.1 degree Requirement

Options
  • 08-11-2010 12:06am
    Registered Users Posts: 3

I am an engineering degree graduate from which I graduated with a 2.2 level qualification. I have been working for the last few years in a construction consultancy environment but am thinking of leaving my job to pursue a career in accountancy. I plan to complete a PDA and then try to move into the profession that way. However, I notice that a lot of the jobs with good companies stipulate a 2.1 degree to be considered as a trainee. My question is: if i go back and get good marks in a PDA will the likes of the Big 4 consider this in place of my 2.2 engineering degree.

any help would be appreciated....

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,362 ✭✭✭Pandoras Twist

Ernst&Young had a minimum requirement of an A2 in lower level which I didnt have, I gave them an email and they said go ahead and apply, and if there were any mitigating circumstances to put them in too. I put in that although I didnt meet the maths requirement, I've gotten all A's in my maths and accounting subjects. You could just waffle and say you wern't committed to the course, it wasn't what you wanted to do etc etc. Just bump up your grades in the PDA

If you do well in the PDA it should be ok.

If you were coming out of a commerce or business studies degree with a 2.2 they would be questioning your motivation to become an accountant.

• Registered Users Posts: 523 ✭✭✭jdooley28

i am no expert but just from filling out many applications most i have seen always give you a chance to state why you may not have got the grades you wanted. They will not just concentrate on academia anyway and look at the broader picture. Also as said above I'd say you can impress them with good marks in the PDA, it would look like you were always meant to do accounting:). Just go for it best of luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭jonnybravo

Mullagh23 wrote: »
    I am an engineering degree graduate from which I graduated with a 2.2 level qualification. I have been working for the last few years in a construction consultancy environment but am thinking of leaving my job to pursue a career in accountancy. I plan to complete a PDA and then try to move into the profession that way. However, I notice that a lot of the jobs with good companies stipulate a 2.1 degree to be considered as a trainee. My question is: if i go back and get good marks in a PDA will the likes of the Big 4 consider this in place of my 2.2 engineering degree.

Think you should bear in mind that if you start the PDA in Sept the Big 4 + most of the other big auditing firms hire their staff before xmas for the following year so you wouldn't have any of your results in from the PDA. So if you're aiming to use improved PDA grades then you'd probably have to complete you're PDA then apply and try and get a job to start the year after, which would mean you'd have a year between finishing your PDA and starting work.

Just something to bear in mind.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 r.dunne7

Mullagh23 wrote: »

Was just wondering what are you motivations for going into accountancy??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3 Mullagh23

Thanks for the advice folks.

Rdunne
    The reason why i want to retrain as an accountant is that I currently work in the cost management side of the construction industry but find it a very one dimensional sort of role. I am more interested in the overall operation of construction companies in the industry than the actual process of construction. I also find the job very unchallenging at the moment. I am not motivated to change career due to the downturn as I have been in employment through all of the current recession, so I am not just jumping ship because I do not have a job in construction. I have a genuine interest in business matters and I also think that I would have a lot of skills that I could offer from previous experience gained so far in my career.

Advertisement