Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Undergraduate Psychology

Options
  • 07-11-2010 10:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭

So i'm interested in doing Psychology next year in college, but haven't decided which college to put no.1 on my cao. Is there a college that provides a better course overall? I would love to go to NUIG, but i noticed that it's only a 3 year course, whereas most others (UCD,UL,TCD) are all four years. Is this any difference?

Also, why is Psychology done as an Arts degree, with three other subjects for first year in some colleges? (NUIG, for example). What use are three other subjects if you only study them for one year?

Final question, is there a difference between a BA Psychology and a BSc? Is one better than the other? Do you have an advantage over someone with a BA if you have a BSc?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭JuliusCaesar

I did my undergrad a looooong time ago. The only difference between a BA & a BSc was that BAs did a minor in philosophy, and BScs did a minor in computer science. They are equivalent. It was 3 years in UCD then.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭John

montown wrote: »
    So i'm interested in doing Psychology next year in college, but haven't decided which college to put no.1 on my cao. Is there a college that provides a better course overall? I would love to go to NUIG, but i noticed that it's only a 3 year course, whereas most others (UCD,UL,TCD) are all four years. Is this any difference?

Aside from how the courses are structured, there's no difference. They are all equivalent to each other (as they're accredited by the Psychological Society of Ireland (PSI) and have to cover the same basic areas).
    Also, why is Psychology done as an Arts degree, with three other subjects for first year in some colleges? (NUIG, for example). What use are three other subjects if you only study them for one year?

You just pick other subjects that you're interested in or that might complement psychology. You drop them after first year.
    Final question, is there a difference between a BA Psychology and a BSc? Is one better than the other? Do you have an advantage over someone with a BA if you have a BSc?

Both are equivalent to each other. Basically you can do psychology either through arts or science depending on the university. You get a BA if you go through arts or a BSc going through science but it's the same degree really at the end. Some colleges offer both (such as NUIM) and it may affect how long the degree is (in NUIM, a BA is three years and a BSc is four years but students do the same amount of psychology). It will also affect what subjects you combine psychology with in first year, if you're doing it through science you most likely won't be able to take something like French or sociology with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,754 ✭✭✭Odysseus

The one year will give you a basic intro; if you go into clinical work you will find that areas like philosophy etc are important and will complement it. To work clinically firstly you need some life experience but you also need to be broadening you horizons and gaining insight into human behaviour.

For example though my training I was introduced to Shakespeare, read the entire works whilst on the bus bus to work over the years, but I draw from classical studies [well as a psychoanalyst I would:)] philosophy, anthroplogy then list goes on, many areas give us insight into the human condition, it depends on how we read them.

Getting an introduction to them in first year we help you when you have to tackle the texts by yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭montown

Thanks for all your replies.

So really when you think about it, a 3 year course (such as NUIG) is better because you get the same degree in a shorter amount of time? This means more work of course, but you kind of get a head start on 4 year courses, because you could do a masters, etc sooner? Is that correct?

Thanks for all your replies.

So really when you think about it, a 3 year course (such as NUIG) is better because you get the same degree in a shorter amount of time? This means more work of course, but you kind of get a head start on 4 year courses, because you could do a masters, etc sooner? Is that correct?

Maybe but have a look at the courses you will be doing apart from psych, which do you think will give you a wider education?

• Advertisement

Odysseus wrote: »
    Maybe but have a look at the courses you will be doing apart from psych, which do you think will give you a wider education?

Courses as in areas of psychology covered? As in the 3 year degree may not cover as much as the 4 year? So a 4 year graduate will have a better education (Psychology-wise), than a 3 year graduate?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭JuliusCaesar

John wrote: »
    (in NUIM, a BA is three years and a BSc is four years but students do the same amount of psychology).

Answered above.

Courses as in areas of psychology covered? As in the 3 year degree may not cover as much as the 4 year? So a 4 year graduate will have a better education (Psychology-wise), than a 3 year graduate?

No I meant non psych modules, as there are non psych modules on both courses? If so what cognate modules are on each course and will they facilitate you learning? Does that make sense?

Odysseus wrote: »
    No I meant non psych modules, as there are non psych modules on both courses? If so what cognate modules are on each course and will they facilitate you learning? Does that make sense?

Yes i understand now :)

So correct me if im wrong, to become a psychologist one must:

A) Do an undergraduate course (eg BA in Psychology)
    B) Do a postgraduate (eg DPsychSc in Clinical Psychology) and do work experience relative to the area being studied.

What is the next step? Am I eligible to become a full member of the PSI?

Also, question that just sprung to mind, why is it necessary to become a member of the PSI? Is it basically your psychological licence?

Yes i understand now :)

So correct me if im wrong, to become a psychologist one must:

A) Do an undergraduate course (eg BA in Psychology)
    B) Do a postgraduate (eg DPsychSc in Clinical Psychology) and do work experience relative to the area being studied.

What is the next step? Am I eligible to become a full member of the PSI?

Also, question that just sprung to mind, why is it necessary to become a member of the PSI? Is it basically your psychological licence?

I can't answer the PSI questions as I'm a psychotherapist not a psuchologist, but that's the general idea, apart from the licence part. A employer will want you to be a member, the same when mine want me to be a member of certain professional bodies.

A professional body stands over you qualifications and experience to work in that area, as well as making sure you engage in ongoing training. They have other functions too such as facilitating that training etc.

• Advertisement
Advertisement