Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Merger of NRA and RPA

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭Tech3

It's probably a good move, the NRA are ramping down operations in theory with the major road schemes all coming to an end in the next few weeks. Only 1 big project going to construction next year and possibly Newlands X.

Trimming the workforce in the authority will save some much needed money.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,319 ✭✭✭dowlingm

Move all IE trackbed, signalling, bridges etc. there too and they'll really be on to something.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

Trimming the workforce in the authority will save some much needed money.

Hmmmmm......My guess is that any SUPER,NEW,IMPROVED...NRA/RPA will need more staff to monitor and administer the expanded PPP Road Toll programme...;)

There is also,of course the National TRANSPORT Authority in existance,which would seem to have some opportunities for synergy too..??? :o

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,776 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

dowlingm wrote: »
    Move all IE trackbed, signalling, bridges etc. there too and they'll really be on to something.

I really don't know how the government can avoid doing this, or doing something about IE's stewardship of the heavy rail network. The situation with leaving Irish Rail in charge of railways seems to be too uncertain and too dangerous.

• Registered Users Posts: 888 ✭✭✭Telchak

I don't know about this. Whereas the NRA and RPA have different target markets, handing the rails over to the NRA might ensure their dismantling =/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,941 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Telchak wrote: »
    I don't know about this. Whereas the NRA and RPA have different target markets, handing the rails over to the NRA might ensure their dismantling =/

A bonus in quite a few cases.

⛥ ̸̱̼̞͛̀̓̈́͘#C̶̼̭͕̎̿͝R̶̦̮̜̃̓͌O̶̬͙̓͝W̸̜̥͈̐̾͐Ṋ̵̲͔̫̽̎̚͠ͅT̸͓͒͐H̵͔͠È̶̖̳̘͍͓̂W̴̢̋̈͒͛̋I̶͕͑͠T̵̻͈̜͂̇Č̵̤̟̑̾̂̽H̸̰̺̏̓ ̴̜̗̝̱̹͛́̊̒͝⛥

• Registered Users Posts: 9,260 ✭✭✭markpb

Have you anything at all to back this up?

• Registered Users Posts: 888 ✭✭✭Telchak

markpb wrote: »
    Have you anything at all to back this up?

As I thought was pretty obvious from the lack of definite wording in my post, its just an opinion ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭CIE

Aard wrote: »
    Fine Gael's new document, "Reinventing Government", proposes to merge the National Roads Authority and the Railway Procurement Agency. Page 86 here: http://www.rte.ie/news/2010/1107/finegael.pdf

Just wanted to let people know :)
    Well thanks, for what it's worth. However, nothing's really solved by merely shuffling the decks of bureaucracies. And frankly, such a move might create a conflict of interest, as others have noted.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,905 ✭✭✭Aard

CIE wrote: »
    Well thanks, for what it's worth. However, nothing's really solved by merely shuffling the decks of bureaucracies. And frankly, such a move might create a conflict of interest, as others have noted.
    I detect that you may have thought that I support Fine Gael, and was advertising their good ideas. Fwiw, I wasn't, and don't support them :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 724 ✭✭✭dynamick

This was proposed last year by the McCarthy Bord Snip Nua report
    Department of Transport
    41 Merge National Vehicle & Driver File (function in D/Trans.) into the Road
    Safety Authority €2.0m
    42 The Group considers that the creation of a single transport safety body
    comprising existing separate bodies (the Road Safety Authority, the
    Railway Safety Commission, the Maritime Safety Directorate, and the Irish
    Aviation Authority) should be examined.
    -
    43 Merge the Railway Procurement Agency and the National Roads Authority €3.0m

• Registered Users Posts: 24,479 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

why does the NTA not simply take control of everything transport related?

RSA
    RPA
    NRA
    DTA
    Motor tax and licensing
    MSD
    IAA

Well, some of it possibly should be dismantled or otherwise disposed of to other purposes. IE's books should not be weighted down with responsibility for lines on which they don't offer services.

However - making NRA responsible for rail alignments might lead to the interesting situation where they would be obligated to put forward an alternatives analysis any time they wanted a new road. Also, a combined operation could have a more extensive set of tools and personnel to manage threats such as erosion, landslip, bridge deck structures and coastal defence - all of which have been matters where IE's stewardship has been found wanting.

Makes me wonder what would be left for Dept of Transport to do...

• Registered Users Posts: 78,309 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Makes me wonder what would be left for Dept of Transport to do...
    Agreed.

RSA
    RPA
    NRA
    DTA
    Motor tax and licensing
    MSD
    IAA

Because, to a degree the RSC, RSA, MSD and IAA are there to police the others?

Fair enough, you could form a Transport Safety Authority and there would be some synergies (all are engineering and safety-led), but given the Malahide incident, having people police themselves is not good.

Advertisement