Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Assistance needed: File located on bad sector causing issues...

Options
  • 07-11-2010 9:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,055 ✭✭✭

Hi...

Windows 7 Ultimate x64 as the context for this issue...

I am aware from various HD checks that I have some damaged sectors. It appears that one particular file is located on one pf these bad sectors and is making me frown. I am unable to do anything with the file; any attempts to open it, click on it, highlight it, even the automatic preview in Windows Explorer (its a JPG file), all cause the machine to bluescreen and shut down...

I would like to know if there is any workaround way to delete this file as any traditional attempts (both through the windows GUI and through cmd) are failing badly...

THat's it really, any suggestions much appreciated.

Thanks.

ROnan

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,210 ✭✭✭bonzodog2

Try Unlocker . I'd suggest the folder view isn't set to thumbnails, before you rightclick for the context menu.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,055 ✭✭✭Ronan H

Thank you very much indeed, Unlocker did the trick by managing to delete the folder that the file was in (I had already managed to move everything out of the folder except the culprit file), so hopefully that will be the end of it now...

New hard drive due to arrive any minute now!

Thanks again.

Ro

Advertisement