Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Road Projects under Fine Gael / Labour

Options
  • 07-11-2010 7:00pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭

Unlike the last election, it looks like that Labour and Fine Gael will have enough seats combined to form a government after the next election. What road projects do people think will be favoured under same. I heard Joan Burton giving out about the road to Sligo, while Enda Kenny in Mayo would surely address the N5 debacle. Also, with Michael Noonan in Limerick and Cork being a FG stronghold, that would probably bode well for the AWC. Unfortunately, no matter what party is in government, local/regional issues will always prevail - that's the political system we have! :(

However, the N4, N5, N17, and N20 do need serious attention as they are of strategic national importance. Can anyone add to this?

What roads do you think will be a priority for FG/Lab 22 votes

N4 Kinnegad to Sligo
    0% 0 votes
    N5 Longford to Charlestown
    4% 1 vote
    N17/N18/N20 AWC
    13% 3 votes
    Cork City Projects including CNRR
    63% 14 votes
    Other (please post details)
    18% 4 votes

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭Tech3

The N4 is poor between Castlebaldwin-Cloonamahon and is in need of an offline upgrade but the rest of the N4 is much better than the likes of the N17, N20, N21, N24 and N25.

The N24 has been put on the long finger by the NRA so there is not much we can really say about that route. Hopefully Pallasgreen to Cahir will go to construction towards the end of this decade.

Schemes I reckon will hit construction in this decade(exluding current PPP's):

N17 - Tuam-Claremorris
    N21 - Adare-Abbeyfeale
    N24 - Pallasgreen-Cahir (hopefully)
    N22 - Tralee bypass

Any other major ones?

N5 between Longford-Charlestown as well

Basically the NRA have a priority sheet up already on the routes they want to upgrade. When the hell will they release it to the public?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭Irish and Proud

tech2 wrote: »
    The N4 is poor between Castlebaldwin-Cloonamahon and is in need of an offline upgrade but the rest of the N4 is much better than the likes of the N17, N20, N21, N24 and N25.

That's true indeed!
    The N24 has been put on the long finger by the NRA so there is not much we can really say about that route. Hopefully Pallasgreen to Cahir will go to construction towards the end of this decade.

Yeah, I'd reckon the N24 is well down the list - even below the N5 in my estimation! The N11, N21 and AWC would be the priorities as of now IMO.
    Schemes I reckon will hit construction in this decade(exluding current PPP's):

N17 - Tuam-Claremorris
    N21 - Adare-Abbeyfeale
    N24 - Pallasgreen-Cahir (hopefully)
    N22 - Tralee bypass

Any other major ones?

N5 between Longford-Charlestown as well

...also, N4 Castlebaldwin, N17 Tubbercurry, N22 Macroom.

The N5 upgrade would definitely be pushed by Enda Kenny IMO, given the low standard of this geographically important national primary right in Kenny's back yard - however, a bit of clever thinking might see (as some have suggested) a short link from Ballaghaderreen to the upgraded N4 around Carrick-on-Shannon. Also, a motorway from Longford to Mullingar would be nice. Although local politics would probably be attached to Kenny's name, it would be a case of being damned if he does push ahead with N5 investment or damned if he doesn't - this road is needed regardless!

The N24 around Bansha might be pushed by Michael Noonan, but IMO I'd say he'd be more interested in the M20 from Limerick's point of view (access to Cork and Ringaskiddy) - again, a motorway that is absolutely needed - a situation where Noonan would probably be nationally damned whether he does or not secure the M20 - remember, he will probably end up as finance minister.
    Basically the NRA have a priority sheet up already on the routes they want to upgrade. When the hell will they release it to the public?

Sometime around the announcement of Budget 2011 - I guess we won't have that long to wait then!

Regards!

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,850 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Tremember, he will probably end up as finance minister.

Can't see any scenario where Noonan's finance minister AND Kenny's taoiseach, to be totally honest.

Well whats certain is that Labour and FG wont go into a coalition. Also I cant see them being roadcentric as FF too. IF FG get into power they are looking at merging the NRA and the RPA

http://www.rte.ie/news/2010/1107/finegael.pdf
    ...also, N4 Castlebaldwin, N17 Tubbercurry, N22 Macroom.

Would love to see these schemes being built but realistically cant see them all getting to construction in the next 10 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭runway16

Well whats certain is that Labour and FG wont go into a coalition. Also I cant see them being roadcentric as FF too. IF FG get into power they are looking at merging the NRA and the RPA

Would love to see these schemes being built but realistically cant see them all getting to construction in the next 10 years.

If the NRA and RPA are merged, it probably wouldnt be a bad thing! Imagine that! A joined up solution to transport as a whole!

We must lobby against this common sense in the strongest possible terms!!!! :D:D:D:D:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 971 ✭✭✭CoalBucket

Well whats certain is that Labour and FG wont go into a coalition.

How is that certain

• Closed Accounts Posts: 971 ✭✭✭CoalBucket

excuse my ignorance but what is CNRR ?

• Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭runway16

CoalBucket wrote: »
    excuse my ignorance but what is CNRR ?

Cork Northern Ring Route.

runway16 wrote: »
    If the NRA and RPA are merged, it probably wouldnt be a bad thing! Imagine that! A joined up solution to transport as a whole!

I agree. :)

see this post

I agree. :)

see this post

That's a fair enough point, but I still don't think the merging of the NRA and RPA is a good idea. The NRA covers national roads while the RPA covers the LUAS and Metro in Dublin - two completely different requirements. Better would be mergers within the fields of 1) Roads across Ireland and 2) Dublin's Transport:

All national and regional roads should fall under the remit of the NRA, thereby reducing the scope of council transport departments - in fact, it might be better to take transport out of the councils remit altogether and have regional offices instead - completely remote from the local political system (look at what happened with the R102 Tolka Valley Road in Finglas - it was meant to be Griffith Avenue Extension and would have connected with the N3 at the Halfway House - some of this land has been recently built on). Also, the NRA could be in charge of governing standards for all road types including estate roads (including traffic calming ramps etc), local county roads etc. This would reduce a lot of waste IMO.

The RPA & CIE should come under the National Transport Authority (NTA) - CIE should be scrapped then - IMO no need for this umbrella administration. I'd put IE under the RPA which already has the LUAS and is planning the Metro. Dublin Bus and Bus Eireann would come under a national bus transport office - the office would also oversee the Rural Transport Initiative plus the implementation of QBCs and BRTs (Bus Rapid Transport). This would include the cycling strategy too. The NTA would also have regional offices which again would replace much of the transport function within the councils - the local government remit would be reduced to footpaths, local roads and estate roads.

Now, the above is not very detailed, but should give an idea of what I'm thinking in terms of transport administration.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

This poll is silly, where is the "none of the above" option ...or simply "none" :( Their priority will be maintaining what its already there.

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    This poll is silly, where is the "none of the above" option ...or simply "none" :( Their priority will be maintaining what its already there.

There's the "Other" option - you can select this and post whatever you think will be their priority - whether it's just maintenance, or even ditching the road projects in favour of the big rail projects like Metro North.

I for one would think that the N5 is a definite under Enda Kenny. This thread BTW is completely indifferent to party or local politics, it's merely working within the reality of the political system we have - though I think it needs to change but that's another story.

Regards!

<snip>

Interesting - I have indeed heard rumours that FF and FG may go into a coalition in order to keep Labour out after the next election. Nothing would surprise me these days regarding Irish politics. On this note, we'll just have to wait and see...

Regarding the PDF, I have this document on my hard drive and must go through it in more detail. On the surface it's an interesting concept.

About the roadcentric aspect - I've heard FG giving out about the ditching of road projects, and the latest I heard (mentioned in the first post) was Joan Burton of Labour giving out about the Sligo road not being fully upgraded. Also, a FG/Lab or FG/FF or FF/Labour coalition will most likely not require the support of the Greens - I'd say the 2:1 ratio for public transport / roads expenditure will go out the window (whether it's a good or bad thing) after the next election.

Again, we'll just have to wait and see...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,092 ✭✭✭celticbest

No matter what parties get into power one of the major road project that IMO needs to be done is a new road from the M8 at Mitchelstown to Killarney. The roads that you currently have to travel are an absolute disgrace.

Killarney is a major Tourist Hub in Ireland and as such it should have a much better road connecting it to Dublin the biggest tourist hub in Ireland.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭Stinicker

celticbest wrote: »
    No matter what parties get into power one of the major road project that IMO needs to be done is a new road from the M8 at Mitchelstown to Killarney. The roads that you currently have to travel are an absolute disgrace.

Killarney is a major Tourist Hub in Ireland and as such it should have a much better road connecting it to Dublin the biggest tourist hub in Ireland.

Completely agree South Kerry and West Cork has been badly neglected in terms of access to the rest of the country. Killarney should be connected by Motorway in my honest opinion and a stretch of Motorway should have been given priority along the N21 bypassing Abbeyfeale and NewCastlewest instead of the Tralee bypass.

Due to the crappyness of the N72 to Mitchelstown I always take the Jack lynch tunnel and the N22 instead and find it less frustrating, safer and slightly faster even though it is a longer distance. 120km/h on motorway is better than 55km/h behind a Nissan Micra with no overtaking opportunities.

The N22 from the County bounds to the South Ring at ovens should be all Dual C or Motorway bypassing Lssarda, Macroom and Ballyvourney.

However with Labour or Fine Gael in power I am afraid that all Labour will want is to preserve the Public sector and welfare state with raving plans for public transport that will never work. I myself would prefer a Fine Gael - PD's Nua coalition with the good tds from a defunct Fianna Fail party in a new coalition. I think the golden age of Irish road building that was the last decade is well and truly over unfortunately, a bit like the 1860's for railways.

• Registered Users Posts: 721 ✭✭✭mk6705

Stinicker wrote: »
    Completely agree South Kerry and West Cork has been badly neglected in terms of access to the rest of the country. Killarney should be connected by Motorway in my honest opinion and a stretch of Motorway should have been given priority along the N21 bypassing Abbeyfeale and NewCastlewest instead of the Tralee bypass.

Due to the crappyness of the N72 to Mitchelstown I always take the Jack lynch tunnel and the N22 instead and find it less frustrating, safer and slightly faster even though it is a longer distance. 120km/h on motorway is better than 55km/h behind a Nissan Micra with no overtaking opportunities.

The N22 from the County bounds to the South Ring at ovens should be all Dual C or Motorway bypassing Lssarda, Macroom and Ballyvourney.

However with Labour or Fine Gael in power I am afraid that all Labour will want is to preserve the Public sector and welfare state with raving plans for public transport that will never work. I myself would prefer a Fine Gael - PD's Nua coalition with the good tds from a defunct Fianna Fail party in a new coalition. I think the golden age of Irish road building that was the last decade is well and truly over unfortunately, a bit like the 1860's for railways.

An improved N21, N23 and N22 from Farranfore to Killarney would surely do more for access to Killarney than that? However the road to Cork is terrible, probably the N22 between Ballyvourney and Macroom must be the very worst section of national primary road in the country. Narrow S2 with non-stop bends for 7 km, very dangerous and very slow. Should be 2+2.

Advertisement