Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best Option - M3 to Eastpoint Business Park?

Options
  • 07-11-2010 6:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 28,800 ✭✭✭✭

Hey all,

It's looking like I'm soon going to be working (after a year of searching) in Eastpoint Business Park :) but I'm living near Kells at the minute so thought I'd get some options as to the best option for the commute.

I've to be in for 9, and I've no problem driving the whole way (I've a decent car that's well able for the trip and commuting isn't something that bothers me as I've always done it and I spent most of my working week in the car anyway in my last job)... the best route I figured was M3 to M50 to M1 interchange (all free-flow nowadays), turn off at Whitehall Church, cut across to the Malahide Road and then on to Fairview/Eastpoint.

I know this will mean paying the M3 tolls and I could get stuck at Whitehall-Malahide Road but the rest of the trip should be ok?

Option B maybe would be driving as far as M3 Parkway/Dunboyne and getting the train in to Docklands.
    I think there's a connecting shuttle bus to Eastpoint, but I had a look on Irishrail.ie to get an idea of the cost, clicked Fares and (surprise surprise! :rolleyes:) M3 Parkway/Dunboyne isn't listed in the drop-down list! (no doubt it's there somewhere but it's not exactly going to win someone over is it?).

Anyway, on the surface of it this might be the best option if I could figure out the cost... a leaflet I have here also (again unsurprisingly!) notes "FREE parking at M3 Parkway (for a limited period) - you'd think they'd be trying to win as many customers to the service as possible!

Sooo.. any thoughts on the above? Anyone doing this commute now? Any alternative driving routes I haven't considered?

Cheers!
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,316 ✭✭✭KC61

M3 Parkway to Docklands is fare zone C.

That means fares are:
    Single EUR 3.30
    Return EUR 6.00
    7 Day Ticket EUR 26.80
    Monthly Ticket EUR 103 - Can be obtained through Taxsaver Scheme
    Annual Ticket EUR 1,030 - Can be obtained through Taxsaver Scheme

Shuttle Bus times are here.

Also, Dunboyne to Docklands is fare zone D.

That means fares are:
    Single EUR 2.30
    Return EUR 4.20
    7 Day Ticket EUR 19.30

Note however that there are parking charges at Dunboyne.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,800 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

KC61 wrote: »
    M3 Parkway to Docklands is fare zone C.

That means fares are:
    Single EUR 3.30
    Return EUR 6.00
    7 Day Ticket EUR 26.80

Shuttle Bus times are here.

Also, Dunboyne to Docklands is fare zone D.

That means fares are:
    Single EUR 2.30
    Return EUR 4.20
    7 Day Ticket EUR 19.30

Note however that there are parking charges at Dunboyne.

Thanks for that :)

What's the parking situation like at Parkway/Dunboyne? Would you need to be there ridiculously early to get a spot etc. Any problems with security?
    What about the trains themselves? Are they packed or will you get a seat/standing pretty easily?
    I used to get the same line in from Coolmine when I lived in Blanch and by the time it hit Castleknock it was a very tight squeeze!

If I read that right then I'd be looking at €19.30 + parking or €26.80 (which will increase when they start charging for parking at Parkway) per week if I take the public transport option?

Any thoughts on the driving the whole way option for comparison?
    I'm coming at this as a former public transport user who bought a car because I was so sick of the problems and dead time/waiting around on trains/DARTs/buses.
    As a car user, the train would want to offer me a significant time saving to put up with the possible/probable? delays, overcrowding, additional cost you see.

I'm not trying to be negative but if it's going to take me as long to get in and then across (and the same on the way home), I'd probably just get up the 30 minutes earlier and drive in.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,316 ✭✭✭KC61

Kaiser2000 wrote: »
    Thanks for that :)

What's the parking situation like at Parkway/Dunboyne? Would you need to be there ridiculously early to get a spot etc. Any problems with security?
    What about the trains themselves? Are they packed or will you get a seat/standing pretty easily?
    I used to get the same line in from Coolmine when I lived in Blanch and by the time it hit Castleknock it was a very tight squeeze!

If I read that right then I'd be looking at €19.30 + parking or €26.80 (which will increase when they start charging for parking at Parkway) per week if I take the public transport option?

Any thoughts on the driving the whole way option for comparison?
    I'm coming at this as a former public transport user who bought a car because I was so sick of the problems and dead time/waiting around on trains/DARTs/buses.
    As a car user, the train would want to offer me a significant time saving to put up with the possible/probable? delays, overcrowding, additional cost you see.

I'm not trying to be negative but if it's going to take me as long to get in and then across (and the same on the way home), I'd probably just get up the 30 minutes earlier and drive in.

From what I have read here and elsewhere neither car park nor train will be unduly packed - remember they are not going to Connolly but to Docklands. Remember too that you would be getting on at the start of each journey.

You are correct regarding costs.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,544 ✭✭✭TheChrisD

The car parks are rarely ever any more than 1/6th full, and the trains are only ever busy when it's the peak rush or the weekends, and even then that's only about a third full :rolleyes:

Assuming you're travelling every day of the week, Parkway would cost (currently) €26.80, whereas Dunboyne is actually €29.30 when you include parking, as well as the extra distance driving down there - unless there's some 5-day option for parking there, but I wouldn't know.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,352 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Hey all,

It's looking like I'm soon going to be working (after a year of searching) in Eastpoint Business Park :) but I'm living near Kells at the minute so thought I'd get some options as to the best option for the commute.

I've to be in for 9, and I've no problem driving the whole way (I've a decent car that's well able for the trip and commuting isn't something that bothers me as I've always done it and I spent most of my working week in the car anyway in my last job)... the best route I figured was M3 to M50 to M1 interchange (all free-flow nowadays), turn off at Whitehall Church, cut across to the Malahide Road and then on to Fairview/Eastpoint.
    I get the impression that traffic approaching Eastpoint is appalling.

No problem with parking at M3 Parkway - 1200 spaces.

• Advertisement

Just to update this...

Started today and left the house @ half 6. Was parked in the office by 8am - only place I got delayed was at Whitehall turning onto Collins Ave to get to the Malahide Road, and that was heavy but moving.

The trip home was easier again. Left the office at half 5, no delays until I got to the M1/Port tunnel which held me up about 10 minutes till I got to the M50, but was home by 6.50 tonight.

All doing legal limits I might add.. I don't speed, but I don't dawdle either! :p If it's safe/appropriate to do 100/120 km/h on the motorway I will.

If my experience is anything to go by (and proves to be consistent), I'd imagine IE will have their work cut out for them trying to convince people coming from Meath/Cavan that paying for train tickets AND parking AND the inevitable delays and standing around is worth it!

• Registered Users Posts: 951 ✭✭✭robd

Just to update this...

Started today and left the house @ half 6. Was parked in the office by 8am - only place I got delayed was at Whitehall turning onto Collins Ave to get to the Malahide Road, and that was heavy but moving.

Lot's of options to play around with that bad turn and improve time. I generally do N32, Clonshaugh Rd, Coolock Ln, Kilmore Rd, Ardlea Rd. That's in the evenings though.

• Registered Users Posts: 991 ✭✭✭MrDerp

Just to update this...

The trip home was easier again. Left the office at half 5, no delays until I got to the M1/Port tunnel which held me up about 10 minutes till I got to the M50, but was home by 6.50 tonight.

All doing legal limits I might add.. I don't speed, but I don't dawdle either! :p If it's safe/appropriate to do 100/120 km/h on the motorway I will.

If my experience is anything to go by (and proves to be consistent), I'd imagine IE will have their work cut out for them trying to convince people coming from Meath/Cavan that paying for train tickets AND parking AND the inevitable delays and standing around is worth it!

What kind of car do you drive? I've a 1.4L petrol, a 05 focus. I reckon you're doing 55km round trip from M3 parkway to East Point. I have a similar commute distance and I use about 20L of petrol per week (7.6 l/km according to car's display) on this alone. 48 work weeks in the year. I need 4 new tyres, on average, every 50000km - and I'm quite religious about tyre care.

Costs (per annum) for me to make this commute:
    1. 12650km in the car = 2/3 of a service. My average service with parts, the odd big part is 350 euro. So lets say service cost = 230 euro
    2. 48 * 20L of petrol * 1.30/L means petrol cost = 1248 euro
    3. 1/4 of a set of tyres. I last got 4 tyres and tracking for 360 so tyres cost = 90 euro

So the total cost of this commute, on my car, annually would be 1568 euro

With a tax saver annual ticket for 1030, and relief at marginal rate of 50% odd, the train cost would be 515 euro.

So it'd save me a grand a year. Would I commute by train and by bus after driving 40 odd km to the M3 parkway anyway? Would I ****. But if I had children and a big mortgage with negative equity I might be tempted.

Edit: Also might make your car last a bit longer, due to lower annual mileage, not covered here. You'd have to love your car though, I gave up on that a while ago after 3 years of 30,000km per year

• Registered Users Posts: 991 ✭✭✭MrDerp

As for your route, I know of a few people driving to East Point from Navan Road, Cabra area, via North Ring Road, for 9am with few complaints. How bad is the N3/M50 interchange these days?

MrDerp wrote: »
    As for your route, I know of a few people driving to East Point from Navan Road, Cabra area, via North Ring Road, for 9am with few complaints. How bad is the N3/M50 interchange these days?

It's actually fine.. it slows a bit coming in past the Blanch SC turn-off but once you get on to the M50 itself there's no problem.

I've a 2L TDI Passat that does about 1100km to a full tank, and while yes there's the increased wear and tear to consider, I get it serviced religiously on-time anyway and would rather that than standing around waiting on buses/trains in the cold, wet and possibly icy conditions ahead.

Luckily I've no mortgage to worry about so I've just factored all this as a cost of getting to work - it beats the alternative!! :o

• Advertisement
Advertisement