Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Please help.

Options
  • 07-11-2010 2:17am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭

i need advice on how to build a pulley system and where to get the materials.
    The system is going to be placed between two tables which are 30 cm apart and has to lift a 2kg load using nylon string, the lighter the system the better. One basic pulley won't cut it, because the string is too weak. Could anyone advise me on a suitable design concept for this, and if possible where the hell I can get some pulleys? thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,961 ✭✭✭✭bnt

Some initial thoughts on this:
    • pulleys can be any kind of wheel, really - from a model car, thread bobbins, have a look in e.g. the Art & Hobby Shop if you have nothing at home.
    • Have a look at the picture I found (below), which has something like what you're after (though not exactly): each half of the string takes half the load, so a 1kg strength string can take a 2kg load. (2:1 pulley advantage)
    • This only works if you lift the load straight up vertically: if you arrange things so that the string runs at an angle, the tension in the string will be higher and increase as you lift.
    • If you need a higher pulley advantage (e.g. the string is too weak), you need more pulleys in a compound system: see Wikipedia for examples.
    wast3.jpg

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

Advertisement