Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dog with sore ears

Options
  • 06-11-2010 10:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 19

My dog, a jack russell/yorkie cross has had a couple of bad ear infections. The vet thinks it may be linked to allergies and very narrow ear canals. He has recommended a Zepp procedure which is basically re-alligning the ear canals. I've googled it and it seems quite a severe procedure (and quite costly), we've changed his food, and are treating the allergies. Has anyone any experience of this procedure? I'm a bit reluctant to rush into it.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭mymo

I haven't heard of this, but it does seem a bit extreme for a couple of infections, even if they were bad.
    You say its a yorkie x jack russell, is it hairy? If so do you pluck the hair in the ears? (its much easier than you'd think)
    It can allow the air to flow better and help with infections.
    Food changes can help especially if the dog has allergies too, and I'm sure cleaning them regularly would help, if you go to a groomer and ask them, they should show you how. There is a solution they use not sure of the name.
    If you know the signs (smell is a big one) and catch it early it should be easy to manage.
    Best of luck, hope you find something to help the poor dog.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,855 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

I would never go ahead with a major procedure/diagnosis without getting a second opinion. I trust my Vet totally but she knows that I will seek other advice & welcomes it.

It is not an exact science & a lot depends on personal opinion. Two infections is not a lot & I would be inclined to get more information. In the meantime you may not get any more infections.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 hmac

Thanks for the answers, yes, my feeling is to hold off on surgery. He's doing really well on antibiotics and steroids at the moment. He also likes his new anti allergy food. He doesn't have hair in his ears, just very narrow ear canals, unfortunately he absolutely hates me cleaning them out, and goes crazy when I'm trying to administer drops, but I'll have to persevere.

• Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭boxerly

My dog went in for that surgery 13 years ago and never came out:(he did have a heartmurmour though.He just wasnt strong enough I suppose:(.Deffo wouldnt rush into it.Canural,orydermyl creams and drops are very good IMHO xxx

• Registered Users Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭EGAR

Google Thornit Powder, it's brilliant stuff and has worked wonders on several rescues here with extreme ear problems. It also works with cats. I put it on the paws as well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,756 ✭✭✭Jules

A zepps proceedure is severe and can be expensive but you have to weigh it up inthe right way. How old is your dog? If s/he is on the young side you are facing a struggle with ongoing ear problems as no medication can fix a narrow ear canal. If food and management of allergies are handling it well at the moment then i would keep with that for the time, but ongoing antibs and steroids, even if they are given on and off is not a favourable way to go. Long term exposure to steroids has, in it self, long term complications. And giving your dog antibs every time they have an ear issue is not in the best interest of your dog.

I know the poster said that their dog went in for surgery and didnt come out but as s/he said there was a heart complication there already. If your dog is healthy and has a good heart then, personally, the long term gains out weight the short term risks. And as you said your pets hates you at their ears. Think of a time, after the op.. all going well.. that you don't have to be concerned with that anymore and you don't have to be pestering your pet every few months with medications and ears drops.

There are meeds needed post op, but again sort term risk/inconvience verus long term gain!

Just my 2c!

• Registered Users Posts: 13 kittyo

EGAR wrote: »
    Google Thornit Powder, it's brilliant stuff and has worked wonders on several rescues here with extreme ear problems. It also works with cats. I put it on the paws as well.

Hi EGAR, Where do you buy the Thornit Powder? Can't find it on my usual pet supply website. Think it might be the job for one of my cats who has a problem with dirty ears.

Advertisement