Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Horse Gets "Dancy" When He Meets Cars On Road

Options
  • 06-11-2010 7:34pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,305 ✭✭✭

Was out on the road this morning on a really fantastic horse! Kind of highly strung but lovely nonetheless. We stopped at one stage because a couple of cars arrived behind us and one arrived in front at the same time. My horse got a bit "spooked" and started to "dance" back and forward on the road. It was not a panicky situation or anything and after a minute or so a good "tap" got him in line again.

What I was wondering is if there is anything specific that you should do when this situation arises? This horse gets extremely jumpy at any stage when he's the reined so it's typically a case of light hands. All fine when in the fields but if you must stop and he's uncomfortable, what's the best thing to do?

I should add that he was perfect when in similar situations after that so he's not like that all the time.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,548 ✭✭✭Ave Sodalis

I ride a horse who is exactly the same on the roads. The trick is to introduce it to as many things as possible slowly and frequently.

You said he is not jumpy in simular situations. Do you mean that he spooks at some cars, and not at others? Remember that horses are prey animals. They evaluate everything for possible threats. When a horse doesn't completely trust its rider, it does the threat-checking. Some cars may look threatening, some mightn't as they are different sizes and shapes. This is why it didn't seem like a panicky situation to you, but may have to him.

He was still dancy afterwards as he was possibly still on the lookout, as you would be if you were spooked.

Go on plently of hacks with him is what I find works best. Also just work with him, get him used to things. He will come round eventually

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,338 Mod ✭✭✭✭convert

When you stopped were you standing one behind the other or beside one another? Sometimes it helps with young/nervous/excitable horses to have someone on a quieter horse stand on your outside while traffic is passing. It may help the horse to relax more and encourage him to stand.

As sup_dude said, it may be that the horse is reacting to a certain type of vehicle. Or he could be reacting to your reactions, i.e. he may have felt you react if you thought the car was travelling a little too fast, or too close to you, or if you were anxious meeting it at a specific point on the road, and the horse therefore reacted to your tensing, even if you didn't think you were.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,114 ✭✭✭doctor evil

Don't be riding out alone on him on the roads, have him in between two horses with a horse beside when conditions allow.

It is very easy to have a knock in your confidence when a horse acts up on the road.

Is it your horse or is it a ride out? If the latter remember your paying them to enjoy yourself and improve, not to ride horse that can be jittery and nervous and that could knock your confidence. Did you all have hi-viz on?

Advertisement