Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Port question

Options
  • 06-11-2010 7:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭

I bought this Port recently in a duty-free in Morocco, of all places. Wondering what I can expect from it, and what (roughly) the rrp would be here?

Port.jpg
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,823 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

You could expext to pay €20 - €30 for a 10 year old Tawny which I'm a fan of but I've never had Tawny port without an age statement.

You can probably expect it to be paler than your average ruby port (Sandeman's) and a bit more subtle tasting and maybe not as sweet.
    Probably worth €10 - €15 .
    This is all guess work:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭pdebarra

I do remember drinking a tawny port some years ago that a friend brought back from Porto. God alone knows what age/origin were, though!

The label on this one reads

MN

if that means anything to anyone.

Just saw this lad priced at €7, and thought "What have I got to lose?".

I'm normally a beer drinker, but variety is the spice of life, as the fella says.

Thanks for the reply.

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭Bearhunter

Valdouro isn't expensive, but it is a nice little tawny. Nice grapey nose and a decent complexity on the palate. No idea what it retails for in Ireland, sorry, but here in NZ it's about $25, or the equivalent of maybe 12 Euros.

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭pdebarra

Ah, yes, so I probably picked it up for around normal price, then! Not to worry. I picked it up for novelty, rather than for bargain value.

A further important question is how quickly it should be drunk, once opened?

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭Bearhunter

I'd normally throw the cork away with port, but it will last a good while, thanks to the fortification. A month or six weeks in a dark cupboard with the stopper replaced.

• Advertisement
Advertisement