Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chamonix

Options
  • 05-11-2010 5:03pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 157 ✭✭

Heading out to Cham for 8 weeks trying to sort accommodation which I am finding tricky arriving December 30th with 4 people for 4 weeks and then Just 2 of us for the second half. Anyone any recommendations or suggestions or know of a nice little place that would sort us out.

All help appreciated
    Cheers
    Paddy

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,204 ✭✭✭a148pro

all I'm going to say is you absolute bastard

• Registered Users Posts: 994 ✭✭✭Mitch Buchannon

Have you looked at any Hostels or Gites ?

Le Gite Chamoniard Volant (Hostel) - www.chamoniard.com - 45 Route de la Frasse, Chamonix - 04 50 53 14 09

Auberge de Jeunesse - www.fuaj.org - 103 Montée Jacques Balmat, Chamonix - 04 50 53 14 52

Ski Breezy Ltd - www.skibreezy.com - Chalet D Ile, 80 Chemin des Barrats, Chamonix Mont Blanc - 04 50 55 92 74

Refuge Bellachat - 305 Route Vers le Nant, Chamonix - 04 50 53 43 23

Baronnier Véronique - 6 Route Moussoux, Chamonix - 09 61 33 48 24

AWA HOTEL LOUVRE - www.louvre.aaemember.com - Chamonix Mt. Blanc, 25 Passage de l'Androsace, Chamonix Mount Blanc - 09 70 44 01 94

These next two are up the Valley in Argentiere, a good place to be as they are on the front door of the Grand Montets.

Gite Le Belvédère - http://www.gitelebelvedere.eu/ - 501 route du Plagnolet, 74400 Argentière, Chamonix - +33 450 185066

Refuge des Cosmiques - 1018 Route Argentière, Chamonix - 04 50 54 40 16

• Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭WillyWonka

Excellent info Mitch.

This might be a bit of a vague question but are any of these hostels in Chamonix located somewhere that has a bit of craic and affordable prices? Or is the whole area expensive?

Wouldn't mind looking into a long weekend in Chamonix to back up the week in Austria...but would be put off by the lack of a bit of banter, beers and food after a day on the slopes.

WillyWonka wrote: »
    Excellent info Mitch.

This might be a bit of a vague question but are any of these hostels in Chamonix located somewhere that has a bit of craic and affordable prices? Or is the whole area expensive?

Wouldn't mind looking into a long weekend in Chamonix to back up the week in Austria...but would be put off by the lack of a bit of banter, beers and food after a day on the slopes.

You wont be suck for places to eat and drink in Cham. There are heaps of places to go ranging from the cheap to the very expensive.
    Regarding where to stay, there are a few cheap ish in the town.

The Vagabond is probably one of the best well known hostels in Cham. Its pretty central and it has a great bar too.

The Vagabond
    365 Avenue Ravanel le Rouge
    Le Vagabond
    74400 Chamonix, France
    04 50 53 15 43
    http://www.gitevagabond.com/

There is another crowd called UCPA. They have a place in Chamonix and up the valley in Argentiere. I dont really know what the deal is with them. I know they do packages but you might be able to "rent" a bed off them.

http://chamonix-uk.ucpa.com/

Most of the other places on the list 2 posts up are in Chamonix. Just google them and you will get a location.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 goodie2

You have to do the Vallee Blanche with a guide. Its some experience.

• Advertisement

goodie2 wrote: »
    You have to do the Vallee Blanche with a guide. Its some experience.

Yeah the Vallee Blanche is cool. You will need some gear for doing it though.

If you plan on doing it on a snowboard, bring some collapsible ski poles. Believe me when I say you will need them lower down the glacier.

I dont know if guides supply the safety gear (harness / avalanche transceiver etc) - you may need to rent those bits for the day.

I have some pics of the Vallee Blanche somewhere in wintersports if you want to go searching.

edit: link to the pictures
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055144048&page=7

Advertisement